Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

About ten years ago, my [[now) wife surprised me with Aretha Franklin tickets for a concert at a smallish outdoor venue in Massachusetts. It was a wonderful concert and a great time. I am lucky I got to see her in person once.

I am sad about her passing and for the loss experienced by her family. May she rest in peace.

I just remembered many years ago I saw Aretha carrying the Olympic Torch when it passed through Detroit on it’s last leg for the night. I don’t recall which Olympic year it was but it was dark & cold. Next door neighbors, the kids, & I bundled up, jumped in the car & drove down to see her. Folks were lined up on either side of the path where Aretha was supposed to bring the torch up to the stage which was located somewhere downtown on Woodward. Comerica paking lot?? Can’t remember the venue where it was at. Maybe someone here knows or was there.

Aretha had on a white jogging suit with I believe blue trim & winter hat or headband to cover her ears. She trotted up to the stage carrying the torch, waving to the crowd, with everybody clapping, screaming, & cheering. I had my camera, so I got as close as I could to the stage & was able to take pics. I was really afraid security was going to make me leave because I ran up the still empty path, that Aretha had just come through on her way to the stage, but nothing happened so I was able to get a few pics, not really close but you could see Aretha. I banged into folks on my mad dash up the path who were leaning over the barriers to see her, take pics, etc. & I apologized.

There was was some sort of program regarding the torch & Aretha may have sung a little something. Details are fuzzy.

There was an Olympics display set up & I was able to take pics of our now grown kids holding the torch & I believe a former police officer?? who had won an Olympic medal was there. He was kind enough to let the kids put it on for pics.

A nice memory of Aretha.