Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I don't rent. And I don't live in stacked shoeboxes.

I buy detached homes with yards.

Not one of your posted options, but ....
    I rent a detached house. Somebody else pays the taxes and upkeep so I can live quite comfortably. I have way more money in the bank/invested renting than I did when I "owned" a house.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I rent a detached house. Somebody else pays the taxes and upkeep so I can live quite comfortably. I have way more money in the bank/invested renting than I did when I "owned" a house.
    Trust me, you’re paying for the taxes and upkeep.
    PS. Detroit RE has outperformed the major indices by 2-3 fold over the last few years.

Why does renting or owning really matter anyway? Just asking. Some people despise the upkeep and expense of owning a home, and nothing is guaranteed you're going to get out what you've put in to a home either, when time to sell it. I doubt if I can get abundantly more than I paid for mine, despite some improvements. Main purpose of either is having a roof over your head.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-13-18 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Why does renting or owning really matter anyway?
    It's all about whether you want your money to go into your own pocket or a landlord's. Yes upkeep can be expensive and time consuming and quite difficult for those who aren't handy enough to do their own. I bought on the far west side for around $40K and sold for around $70K. I used that profit to help pay for this house in the country outright and do the renovations needed. That would not have been possible if I had been stuffing a landlord's pocket instead of paying down the mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Trust me, you’re paying for the taxes and upkeep.
    PS. Detroit RE has outperformed the major indices by 2-3 fold over the last few years.
    Sammy S what I pay does not come close to covering the taxes and upkeep, and I know all about the uptick in prices. I am still way ahead of the indices renting.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Sammy S what I pay does not come close to covering the taxes and upkeep, and I know all about the uptick in prices. I am still way ahead of the indices renting.
    Like i said earlier, who cares? To each his own. People make it seem like you're some sort of degenerate, if you don't own a home.

How fast do people get evicted ?
    i.e. how long can you stay and not pay ?

From the Demand For Possession, to the Judgement, to the point a bailiff is assigned and finally arrives, works out to a couple of months in our cases. There were 3 evictions in one building last month. In one apartment the bill was for damages, painting and cleaning, came to $1200.00. In another apartment the tenant appropriated the refrigerator. Of note, none of these evictions required a bailiff.
    Just south of 100 apartments, spread across 5 buildings, turnover and maintenance eat away at the bottom line, not evictions. We go to Home Depot for materials and supplies – as of this month we have spent $16,000.00 since Jan 1.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2