Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

The building owner now is paying landlord registration fees to the city.

The building owner is paying taxes on the rental income.

The restaurant is now paying business tax,income tax,employee tax,corporation taxes,and purchasing local supplies.

So what has happened is a building that had limited use is now generating revenue for the city providing jobs,housing options,and eating options.

It is adaptive reuse of existing buildings verses demolition for highest and best use for the city as a whole,the point of the owner making profit is a non argument,because nobody is going to step up and do all of that for free,they are taking the risk so they will reap the rewards,that is kinda how it works.

You can look at the direct impact to the surrounding residents,but you also have to look at the impact on the city as a whole,because it will impact everybody.

Which is how it will be looked at in the rezoning process.
    Perhaps the zoning officials did look at "the impact on the city as a whole", and decided that a restaurant at this location could have a negative impact on the value of the residences nearby, thus affecting the tax base in the area. Is one new business, which conceivably can located elsewhere, necessarily worth lessening the value of the neighboring properties? A zoning variance shouldn't be given without careful consideration.

The building in question [[as is the case with so many old fire stations) looks like a grand old structure and in today's environment, should find a viable way of being reused.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Perhaps the zoning officials did look at "the impact on the city as a whole", and decided that a restaurant at this location could have a negative impact on the value of the residences nearby, thus affecting the tax base in the area. Is one new business, which conceivably can located elsewhere, necessarily worth lessening the value of the neighboring properties? A zoning variance shouldn't be given without careful consideration.

The building in question [[as is the case with so many old fire stations) looks like a grand old structure and in today's environment, should find a viable way of being reused.
    It is listed as 7000 sqft,so at 3500 sqft per level because it looks consistent in street view,that gives you how many apartments,3,1000 sqft ones or 6 1000 sqft ones based on both levels.

Now take the cost of the building,cost of the build out,projected carrying costs and then to have what the residents want,apartments on both levels.

Then one must ask if converting it entirely to apartments was the way to go,and considering by all appearances,Corktown is a desirable place to live,how come the existing owner did not convert it into apartments?

Could it be that the numbers do not support a complete apartment conversion?

Surly somebody would have jumped all over that money maker by now.

So the residents decide that the only option or what they prefer is apartments and apparently the numbers do not match that scenario,would they support the demolition of the building and allow another in its place that has multiple stories?

So what are the options left? Another obsolete building on the demolition list.

Put a post it note on the fridge for 5 years down the road when Corktown sees stagnating revenues and the individual taxpayers have to cover the costs in increased taxes,they may be okay now because there is movement but once the movement stops,it will be,what can we do to attract businesses in order to increase revenues.

Notice the pattern?
    Last edited by Richard; July-25-18 at 03:02 PM.

It is listed as 7000 sqft,so at 3500 sqft per level because it looks consistent in street view,that gives you how many apartments,3,1000 sqft ones or 6 1000 sqft ones based on both levels.

Now take the cost of the building,cost of the build out,projected carrying costs and then to have what the residents want,apartments on both levels.

Then one must ask if converting it entirely to apartments was the way to go,and considering by all appearances,Corktown is a desirable place to live,how come the existing owner did not convert it into apartments?

Could it be that the numbers do not support a complete apartment conversion?

Surly somebody would have jumped all over that money maker by now.

So the residents decide that the only option or what they prefer is apartments and apparently the numbers do not match that scenario,would they support the demolition of the building and allow another in its place that has multiple stories?

So what are the options left? Another obsolete building on the demolition list.

So either a restaurant or blight and demolish, good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    So either a restaurant or blight and demolish, good call.
    It is not a call,more so an observation of the history of what happens to obsolete buildings in the city,they have a tendency to become cute little parking lots.

Am I right or wrong?

They could have easily allowed restricted use as a compromise,but they said no,we want apartments.Maybe the answer is HUD backed 400 sqft section 8 apartments,that would probably be feasible,or a city backed drug rehab center dormitory,no parking problems then.

They would not be able to use the,we want apartments argument because they will be getting what they wished for.

See the unlimited possibilities that are available when you really think about it.
    Last edited by Richard; July-25-18 at 03:19 PM.

It should be a restaurant, because this is a city, and, in a city, restaurants and houses can be located next to each other. That's it. There are parts of Detroit where uses are well segregated, but this isn't it. If you don't like hustle and bustle, don't move to the heart of the city. I don't care if you moved there in 1867, 1967, or will move here in 2067. Its a city, its for people to live, work, and play in, and there's just no reason to block a restaurant in this building.

You are basing your assumption on the operating hours of an establishment in the decision making process and using that as an argument of sorts.

That was and is the whole purpose of the review process,they could have said or limited hours of operations or,but they said point blank no,do you know for a fact that they were going to stay open until 2 am.

I have a pizza place that serves alcohol,beer,just because one applies or wants to serve alcohol it does not equate to people throwing up in the streets at 2 am.

The whole point of my issue with demolitions,and Belle Island was not to look at today and look at long term,even from 2000 miles away,I can see buildings being renovated and put back online that nobody ever thought would be,right or wrong?

I was not armchair quarterbacking 7 years ago trying to bring investment and jobs to a city and being told no,not now,wait until the bankruptcy is over with.

I see that it is a common theme though,we do not want outside investment just mind your own business and let us do our thing because we know best.

How well does circling the wagons work?

But hey keep making the mistakes from the past,it is a long road and as was already posted money takes the path of least resistance and the country is full of Detroit's,some are business and investment friendly and some are not.

But for the record I am in Tampa,I moved to Orlando in 1980 and at that time you could walk into the mayors office with a beef,after 5 you could walk downtown core and never see a soul or a car,the police patrol was so bored they would do bike safety inspections,before that I was born and raised in Minneapolis/St Paul.

At one time they were all in the same boat as Detroit is now,it could be argued that they are in a different place now,so I do not need to be there to experience what has happen already across the county,because it is the same story everywhere you go and it does not change,even if you completely stabilize every neighborhood in the city,it will always be an evolving process,that is what cities do.

You are basing your assumption on the operating hours of an establishment in the decision making process and using that as an argument of sorts.

That was and is the whole purpose of the review process,they could have said or limited hours of operations or,but they said point blank no,do you know for a fact that they were going to stay open until 2 am.

I have a pizza place that serves alcohol,beer,just because one applies or wants to serve alcohol it does not equate to people throwing up in the streets at 2 am.

The whole point of my issue with demolitions,and Belle Island was not to look at today and look at long term,even from 2000 miles away,I can see buildings being renovated and put back online that nobody ever thought would be,right or wrong?

I was not armchair quarterbacking 7 years ago trying to bring investment and jobs to a city and being told no,not now,wait until the bankruptcy is over with.

I see that it is a common theme though,we do not want outside investment just mind your own business and let us do our thing because we know best.

How well does circling the wagons work?

But hey keep making the mistakes from the past,it is a long road and as was already posted money takes the path of least resistance and the country is full of Detroit's,some are business and investment friendly and some are not.

But for the record I am in Tampa,I moved to Orlando in 1980 and at that time you could walk into the mayors office with a beef,after 5 you could walk downtown core and never see a soul or a car,the police patrol was so bored they would do bike safety inspections,before that I was born and raised in Minneapolis/St Paul.

At one time they were all in the same boat as Detroit is now,it could be argued that they are in a different place now,so I do not need to be there to experience what has happen already across the county,because it is the same story everywhere you go and it does not change,even if you completely stabilize every neighborhood in the city,it will always be an evolving process,that is what cities do.

The common theme here is: Yes, come into Detroit, invest, grow, but don't do it @ the expense of established residents that have stuck it out through thick and thin. There are plenty of places left for investors to invest. Not every investment is beneficial to the citizens. There are already 10-12 restaurants in the immediate area, why the hell do you want to open another huge one in the middle of a residential neighborhood? People have paid, and continue paying taxes to live in the City. They deserve better than this. And no, you don't have any idea what's going on here because you don't live here.

Not that I know of, but they also have dedicated parking and aren't asking for a change in the zoning. The request for a zoning change/variance is the issue here. Unless they can show that this would do no harm to, or get approval from the existing residents then it should be an automatic denial. I'm glad to see the city agreed.

A lot of assumption here. For us distant armchair folks, what do we know about this place? Were they seeking a liquor license? Were hours ever mentioned? Seating capacity? Type of food?

Perhaps it was more of a cafe' bistro type place that wouldn't be open late?

I can tell you from first hand knowledge having been in Engine 8 a number of times [[as well as several other firehouses), it wasn't a huge place. By the time they got a kitchen, prep area and storage among other back room type areas, there wouldn't have been much room for tables. I can't see more than 20 or 30 patrons at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    A lot of assumption here. For us distant armchair folks, what do we know about this place? Were they seeking a liquor license? Were hours ever mentioned? Seating capacity? Type of food?

Perhaps it was more of a cafe' bistro type place that wouldn't be open late?

I can tell you from first hand knowledge having been in Engine 8 a number of times [[as well as several other firehouses), it wasn't a huge place. By the time they got a kitchen, prep area and storage among other back room type areas, there wouldn't have been much room for tables. I can't see more than 20 or 30 patrons at a time.

I'm thinking maybe only 21 or 32...

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...DMu0GcaL1Ji3Og
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-25-18 at 01:59 PM.

I live over here. I don't want another restaurant on the block. Nobody that I've talked to that lives here wants that corner to become a restaurant. Honky Tonk pretty much said it all, no point in being redundant.

And yes, parking is an issue in the evening hours by Lady of the House. But not in the sense that parking is an issue like on a typical block in Hamtramck. Its more like the place seats way more people than they have available parking spaces in their own lot. They are right next to a lot that offers available parking space for rent yet they haven't taken the owner up on it, and the neighbors have definitely noticed.

People keep referring to all of this supposed available parking, like as if these lots aren't privately owned. If they aren't available for sale or rent, then business patrons park where they perceive that it's safe and that means the blocks with the cute Victorian houses, and the residents are just shit outta luck. Just wait until all of the new residents start moving into these condos at MI and Trumbull, people think Corktowners are a bunch of whiners now... Me thinks that a parking structure will be in our future at some point. Hopefully.

One thing we do have in Corktown, are a bunch of connected squeeky wheels with friends on various boards and such. If the neighbors really don't want it, it's probably not going to happen.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; July-25-18 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    I live over here. I don't want another restaurant on the block. Nobody that I've talked to that lives here wants that corner to become a restaurant. Honky Tonk pretty much said it all, no point in being redundant.
    So what would you like to see there,other then apartments,or is it we got ford so we do not need anything else?

Progress is progress,sooner or later that corner will come to ahead and it may come come from a source when you will not have a say what happens there,that is the risk you are taking.
    Last edited by Richard; July-25-18 at 07:21 PM.

One thing we do have in Corktown, are a bunch of connected squeeky wheels with friends on various boards and such. If the neighbors really don't want it, it's probably not going to happen.
    Sounds like Mikey D needs to start cleaning out some [[or all) of those various boards and such to get rid of they that play favorites. Worst thing in the world a community can do is let boards get corrupted in the way you describe.

^^It worked just fine as a small office, I'm good with something like that.

Fords development is an entirely different monster, located in an area with infrastructure built for light industrial and logistics.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; July-25-18 at 07:45 PM.

^^It worked just fine as a small office, I'm good with something like that.

Fords development is an entirely different monster, located in an area with infrastructure built for light industrial and logistics.
    You may be good with that,and I mean no disrespect,but the currant property owner needs to cover costs also and should also have some rights,he and his bank might not be good with that.

This instance is about a fire-station on the corner,but in the bigger picture,I would be willing to bet the headline will read,

Corktown residents upset about costs driving them out.

It is not a suburb where the retail is set off on itself,it is integrated into the neighborhoods as it has been for the last 200 years,in a city situation it will be tough to survive based on residential revenues only,increasing property taxes is the only option.

Ford is going to do their thing,prices are going to escalate rapidly and so will the taxes and the moving vans headed to the east side,which will be good for the east side,if you do not have that commercial aspect offsetting the base.

Then the ones on the east side will be the ones being forced out,so now you know where the shift will be because you are creating it.You as in the residents,so I am going to invest on the eastside because investing in Corktown is risky apparently.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that there would be no point in attempting to put a strip club in the firehouse,but those connections are creating short term solutions that will have long term negative impacts.

Or shooting yourself in the foot as they say.

Or my guess is there is somebody in that click that would love to get their hands on that property and the best way to do that would be to devalue it by creating a situation that makes the property pretty much worthless.

7800 sqft,that place has to be close to $3000 a month just to heat it in the winter month's.

The lofts that are 12' from this place,how do they get rid of their trash,do they put out 20 trash cans or do they have a dumpster?

On a note of irony 6th st lofts lists this on their web site.

Living it up in Corktown.

Corktown is one of Detroit's most notable neighborhoods. Walk or bike the cobblestoned streets to the recently redeveloped Old Tiger Stadium, trendy Restaurants, bars, microbrews, shops and galleries.

Just do not put any of those trendy restaurants in our back yard.

So on one hand you use the trendy restaurants as a marketing tool but then make sure that they do not exist.Sounds like smart growth to me.
    Last edited by Richard; July-25-18 at 10:00 PM.

It's a nonresidential building being used for a nonresidential use.

The building isn't located "in" a residential block, it's located at the end of the block. On 6th Street which is mostly non-residential. There's a few houses, a large apartment building, an office building, a church, a school, a freeway, and an empty office midrise.

If someone doesn't want to live next to non-residential uses, then don't buy a house a few doors down from a non-residential building. I mean the building was literally a fire station. Yeah it hasn't been one in decades, but in the past fire trucks with sirens would be coming and going at all hours. The physical character of that area is not quiet single use residential. As it is right now Bagley also has a car shop which is seemingly just fine, while a small upscale restaurant isn't.

If someone doesn't want to live down the street from restaurants and bars, then don't move to a neighborhood which is a regional restaurant and bar destination. Choose to live in the University District instead [[just don't buy a house two doors down from Livernois and then get pissed that gasp there are businesses on Livernois).

When there's a small empty building a few doors down, realize that someday something is going to go into it. And it's going to make some noise, and people are going to park there. A mime school could go there and it would be dead silent but you'd still have a class's worth of cars parked there [[and even tiny mime cars take up space). Or if there's really no parking for any use at that building then ultimately the conclusion is obviously that the building needs to be demolished for a parking lot, right?
    Last edited by Jason; July-25-18 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    It's a nonresidential building being used for a nonresidential use.

The building isn't located "in" a residential block, it's located at the end of the block. On 6th Street which is mostly non-residential. There's a few houses, a large apartment building, an office building, a church, a school, a freeway, and an empty office midrise.

If someone doesn't want to live next to non-residential uses, then don't buy a house a few doors down from a non-residential building. I mean the building was literally a fire station. Yeah it hasn't been one in decades, but in the past fire trucks with sirens would be coming and going at all hours. The physical character of that area is not quiet single use residential. As it is right now Bagley also has a car shop which is seemingly just fine, while a small upscale restaurant isn't.

If someone doesn't want to live down the street from restaurants and bars, then don't move to a neighborhood which is a regional restaurant and bar destination. Choose to live in the University District instead [[just don't buy a house two doors down from Livernois and then get pissed that gasp there are businesses on Livernois).

When there's a small empty building a few doors down, realize that someday something is going to go into it. And it's going to make some noise, and people are going to park there. A mime school could go there and it would be dead silent but you'd still have a class's worth of cars parked there [[and even tiny mime cars take up space). Or if there's really no parking for any use at that building then ultimately the conclusion is obviously that the building needs to be demolished for a parking lot, right?

And don't forget all that shiny chrome on those fire engines, I'm sure more than one resident was temporarily blinded when they drove by.

I side with the residents on this one. That's a very quiet section of Corktown, and I think it deserves to stay that way. As Detroitsgwenivere has stated, the parking lots are privately owned. One can't assume the owners of those lots are going to open them up to the patrons of the proposed restaurant. So, the only parking spaces available would be in front of residents' homes. Also, Michigan Avenue is only one block north of this location. There are many places along Michigan where a restaurant could go. In fact, there's the old City Cab building on Michigan that could be a good spot for a restaurant. There's an old garage just east of it and a lot that could be used for parking [[I think the body shop on Leverette owns the two properties, but they might be willing to sell). Now Michigan Avenue is where you look to open a restaurant, not at the corner of Bagley an Sixth Street. And Richard, with Ford's influence in the area, I'm sure the owner of the former firehouse/law firm building can find tenants who are willing to pay top dollar to live in the building as their residence.
    Last edited by royce; July-26-18 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I side with the residents on this one. That's a very quiet section of Corktown, and I think it deserves to stay that way. As Detroitsgwenivere has stated, the parking lots are privately owned. One can't assume the owners of those lots are going to open them up to the patrons of the proposed restaurant. So, the only parking spaces available would be in front of residents' homes. Also, Michigan Avenue is only one block north of this location. There are many places along Michigan where a restaurant could go. In fact, there's the old City Cab building on Michigan that could be a good spot for a restaurant. There's an old garage just east of it and a lot that could be used for parking [[I think the body shop on Leverette owns the two properties, but they might be willing to sell). Now Michigan Avenue is where you look to open a restaurant, not at the corner of Bagley an Sixth Street. And Richard, with Ford's influence in the area, I'm sure the owner of the former firehouse/law firm building can find tenants who are willing to pay top dollar to live in the building as their residence.

The potential new owners already,as reported,said they were going to do valet parking with the existing lots,I would guess that they would not have said that if prior arrangements were not made,so we are assuming.

We can say that tenants would pay top dollar,but because we say it,does not make it happen,without running the numbers we cannot say anything outside of the 20% market rate rule.

As of now a quick search shows adverage rents of Corktown of $985,fourth place,with the university ereas at the highest rates.

6th st lofts commanded a premium because they were different and the first and use the historic charm of the warehouse,even at that the last sale lost $38,000.

So now take the firehouse and build it out for luxury apartments,the exterior retains the charm but the interior contains little charm like a loft would ,so why pay a premium.

Riverfront shows for $3500 a month high end,but also contains many amenities,along with the river views.

So what are you really offering that commands a premium,other then saying,it was a fire house.

The potential owner already owns a restaurant,so easy enough to look at thier track record,the whole thing about parking,dumpster,smells etc are non issues.

Detroitsgwenivre hit the nail on the head,it has nothing to do with the merits of the project and everything to do with the residents connections and personal influence within the city,which is saying that the past is still there,tainted.

I would think that the current owners as lawyers are pretty smart,just as some of the residents are also,if it was a valid as apartments,the money is there,but yet here we are.

You cannot go to the bank and borrow millions based on saying it will work because Ford bought a train station,based on speculation you have to prove the numbers will work.

They allowed conditional use as an office because they did not want the property to go derelict in order to protect the neighborhood values but yet tie the hands of the very same person that saved the building in the first place,it was okay to place risk useing somebody else's money and it is still the case.

I think the residents should have a say,but I also think the property owner should have some rights also.

They have basically said this is what we want but we are not willing to risk our money to see it happen,without compromise it is no longer a concerned community it is a community dictatorship based HOA without a legal standing,co sponsored by personal city connections and not based on the city as a whole.

I was under the impression that the city was on the higher ground when it came to what is best for everybody in the city as a whole,which is thier mission,apparently not,which is disappointing.

Oddly enough there are cities across the country that have restaurants intragated in neighborhoods and they do not seem to have problems or decreases in property values and even like in the case of the 6th st lofts,use them as a marketing tool in order to add value,so it is not really based on the merits as it should be.
    Last edited by Richard; July-26-18 at 09:54 AM.

So nice to see debates about development. So long we lived with nobody who would much want to develop Corktown. Now the problem is too much development. Nice. In a few years, Detroit will be as restrictive as San Francisco and nearly nothing will get done as prices skyrocket. I never thought I'd see NIMBY here in my lifetime.

^ excellent point and the problem is not looking at the bigger picture,all of the city services are behind and have to play catch up,police,fire,infrastructure is all going to be pushed to the limit and has to be paid for,there is a good chance that 40% of the current population will be priced out in the next five years.

^^Not if the current contract with Rock stipulates that access to these lots prohibits use by anyone other than those given access by Rock. I have no clue what the terms of their agreement are, but I can guarantee that if Rock is paying for the full time use of lots all the way out in New Center, paying a company which is not their own to shuttle said employees from the early morning hours until midnight, they can afford to price out anyone that attempts to butt in on their current monopoly at the Howard Lots.

I do remember the year that those lots went unused for several months because Quicken let go of all of their interns and several contract employees. I mean literally sat there empty with none other than a top flight security guard sitting in their car. This is one reason why I'm drawing this conclusion, but like I said, I don't really know.

Either way, parking is just one issue, there are like 10 other reasons why residents don't want a restaurant there. And "NIMBY" [[eye roll) didn't just start with this proposal Richard, this is the way it's always been here. I've lived in this neighborhood for several years, spent many an evening at residents meetings, zoning and planning commission meetings, Corktown Business assoc meetings, etc. I can tell by many of the posts on this thread so far that most don't have the faintest idea of what they are talking about in regards to this neighborhood. Or about the history of Corktown residents who fought the government for the very survival of the residential area, and won.

I have to crack up at you Meddle. A couple from out of state planted no less than 4 businesses, one that is a restaurant, in a single building right on the corner of Bagley and Trumbull, right across the street from another restaurant, with nothing less than love and support from about 95% of the surrounding neighbors. The reasons why? Because the development is on the commercial corridor meant for these types of businesses, and because they engaged the community with questions as to what the community actually wanted for the space.

Many of you consistently decry the lack of involvement and care given by us Detroiters to our surroundings. But as soon as the ones that do engage don't agree with whatever you think the outcomes should be, we are NIMBYs and "too good." You don't get to have it both ways, either people take possession of their community or they don't. We're the ones who have to deal with the outcome of the development, not you. If you think that restaurants should be able to open within a single residentially zoned area, then go ahead and open them in your own neighborhood, and see how that works out for you.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; July-28-18 at 01:47 AM.

I have to crack up at you Meddle. A couple from out of state planted no less than 4 businesses, one that is a restaurant, in a single building right on the corner of Bagley and Trumbull, right across the street from another restaurant, with nothing less than love and support from about 95% of the surrounding neighbors. The reason why? Because the development is on the commercial corridor meant for these types of businesses, and because they engaged the community with questions as to what the community actually wanted for the space.
    It doesn't sound like this business followed the same path. I may be wrong, but it sounds like they were surprised so many people opposed their proposal. They might have gotten the same answer, but they wouldn't have burned so many bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    It doesn't sound like this business followed the same path. I may be wrong, but it sounds like they were surprised so many people opposed their proposal. They might have gotten the same answer, but they wouldn't have burned so many bridges.
    That what the meetings were about,to address the residents concerns and try and find common ground.

Valet for the parking issue,scrubbers for the exhaust smells etc.

The dumpster is just a non issue because even as apartments it needs a dumpster.

You have a limited use building so options are few,the building next door with the billboard is 6th st lofts,which sat dormant many years and was purchased cheap back then it does command million dollar plus unit sales but it also had the space and at the time the numbers to make it work.

The proposal that was presented did include a mix of apartments with the business,over all that is close to a $4 million investment,the only feasible return is what was presented.

So the residents are stuck with a property that has little options,if they do not meet somebody half way in the future it will end up being a parking lot or another option that they will not be happy with but at that time they will have no say.

Pick your poison as they say, but to restrict the use of a building based on what you would like to see without even knowing the financials is sealing its fate because it has outlived its usefulness.

But maybe that is the tug a war,in order to make it feasible the purchase of the property needs to be cheap and what a better way then to squeeze the current owner then to use your city connections against the current owner and force them to dump the property.

Next will be visits from the different city departments finding things wrong with the building and the owner saying the costs to do what they want exceeds the value of the structure.

It probably would be feasible for all apartments if it was a 501c and subsdized by HUD to offset the losses.That would be the next step.

But then you have lost any returns to the city and community on the tax side.
    Last edited by Richard; July-28-18 at 11:01 AM.

Sixth Avenue is not an exclusively residential street. Almost all of the street frontage is non-residential [[including this building). Literally right next to the fire station is a 5 story industrial building [[with a 4 story billboard on top).

I'm imagining the area that's expected to be impacted by the restaurant to be Bagley, down roughly to Brooklyn. It's true that the south side of the street is exclusively residential. But almost the entire north side of the street is the car shop and the lots associated with it, and the back of the car wash. About half of the street frontage of that part of Bagley is already non-residential.

So this restaurant should take one of the lots on Michigan and build a building for themselves there? If they bought the lot on the corner of Brooklyn and Michigan, this hypothetical restaurant would actually be closer to more houses than the fire station would be.

Looking at other parts of Corktown there's a similar situation. If you're at Brooklyn and Labrosse, you're a few doors down from an office building, a school, a restaurant, and an industrial building. If you're at Labrosse and 8th, you're a few doors down from a brewery/bar and two banks. Bagley and 8th you're a few doors down from a restaurant, grocery store, record store, and a few car shops. Going to the west, 10th street has non-residential uses as well. There's nowhere in Corktown where you're not close to non-residential uses. Corktown is a handful of blocks of residential that's sprinkled with non-residential, and wedged between a light industrial district and a major commercial road. If someone wants to live in a Detroit neighborhood that's purely residential, with a few interesting businesses within walking distance, neighborhoods like Indian Village or the University District are better choices.

And mind you this is all over a small upscale restaurant. This is going to be be less obtrusive than most of the other businesses there. All this means is that a few more cars will park on Bagley. Which shouldn't be unexpected. And the houses there can already have their own parking off the alley so they shouldn't even need the street parking themselves anyway.
    Last edited by Jason; July-27-18 at 11:07 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast