Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Vox,
    I seem to recall some state's perhaps not Michigan [[do recall some early online Ohio itesm) will allow access [[or at least sign up for access) with a locally registered library card.

I didn't explore the options for joining and/or acquiring a log-on at WSU, however it may be worth exploring.

That's the place, Vox. Thanks!

Default Old Chene Street

My Dad lived on Adele just off Chene and went to St. Stanislaus. I remember going to the old Church for Christmas Eve Mass when I was a child and bowling at Chene & Trombly lanes. My Dad’s passed now but I still get the oldName:  St. Stanies.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  71.5 KB St Stanislaus Parishioners newsletter.

Vox Guest

Just a quick note on St. Stanislaus. It's being stripped.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/por_las...th/5192905068/

rjk......the Rathnaw's building is still there on the corner, but I checked the inside one day through the back with my partner, DetroitZack, and it was a disaster.....clothing articles were scaterred everywhere and the floor had collapsed in the center, so it is basically condemmed at this point!

I recall working with a Fred Rathnaw on the Grand Trunk Western RR in '67 and '68. My best guess is the Red would have been between 36 and 40 years old back them. Woder if he was related to the Rathnaw mentioned.

Thanks for the information and pics, folks. I think I spotted my dad's family's old bar over on Chene and Ferry. I'd love to get more information about that area.

I remember frequenting the Jak Tam bar on Farnsworth and Grandy off Chene.

For a time I ran a scout troup out of St. Stann'is. My friend who lived on Farnsworth drafted me. Minnow was the owner. Eucher games on Sunday, 25 cent boombas and 15 cent schells. Deer meat on the counter in November and smelt in the spring! Altes beer and Kesslers whiskey were house drinks.

I also frequented the Jak Tam. Don't forget the pickled hard boiled eggs and ring bologna.

On another note can anyone recall bars with a porcelain latrine recessed in front of it that had flowing water and a drain on one end so a person could relieve himself while standing without leaving the bar? Jak Tam was not one of them but I have a vague recollection of one or two in Hamtramck. MANY years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Just a quick note on St. Stanislaus. It's being stripped.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/por_las...th/5192905068/
    Awesome pics! This is the church where my Granpa Frank Pilkowski was Baptised and Confirmed, he Confirmation was in 1925.

Default St. Stanislaus Catholic Church

The Archdiocese of Detroit sold St. Stanislaus after the parish was closed in 1989. The old St. Stanislaus school buildings are being used as a charter school by the Detroit Academy of Arts & Sciences and are not part of the church sale, Messier said.
    Name:  St. Stanie.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  49.7 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2