Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Maybe they’ll open in Detroit
    Maybe in the Renaissance Center, you know, with a view of Canada? I mean, like a place, you know, where the patrons did not have to actually look at the city.

The water might help with the gondola thing, ya know.

Sounds kinda sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The mayor is a putz and there's no evidence of lies. It's basically a he said/she said situation and it's pretty obvious these businesses are at risk of closing, or the downtown business group wouldn't have cited them.

100% right. I think the mayor should steer clear of critiquing one particular establishment, let the people and official critics decide, it does feel like payback for a personal vendetta. If on the other hand, the business managers were pariahs, repeated offenses due to law or health code enforcement were a problem, an elected official could voice an opinion or render a judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    Mayor is an azz.

True,.. the restaurants COULD offer even better food at the same price as their competitors,.. but better food and better chefs cost money. So they would be at a competitive disadvantage.

The reality is more like,... Guy takes his best girl / wife out for fancy dinner. She's in her best heels, and spent 30 min doing her makeup.

He tries to find a close spot because it's 35 F outside ,.. or perhaps it's 85 F outside.

He can't find one nearby. Tries the lot a block away. That's full too. Finds a spot 1.5 blocks away. They walk to restaurant. They're 7 min late for their reservation.

She's now cold, and her nice shoes are messed up from the snow,.. or perhaps she's hot because it's 85F,.. and her makeup is starting to run, and she's beginning to swe___...er, I mean.. "glow".

She's a bit unhappy and sneaks off to the bathroom to check her makeup. She's NOT feeling pampered. The evening still costs him $120. But instead of her being "treated" to a nice evening,.. it feels like work somehow.

The next time they feel like nice Italian,.. he makes sure to go to the Andiamo's on Telegraph and Maple,.. where you pull right to the front door under a roof and have the valet park the car.

The other screen writer says she's on the rag and you won't be getting nookie despite the lobster dinner. There.

Are people seriously refusing to eat out because they have to walk a few blocks? Please tell me this is some sort of joke. Wtf do you think people do in Chicago, NYC, Boston, and - I don‘t know - all of Northern and Eastern Europe? But then again, none of those places can quite compete with Royal Oak‘s dining scene, I guess. Nor do they have any elderly or handicapped people, either.

I swear, it‘s like people from Metro Detroit never travel or witness how other, far more successful, metro areas actually function. News flash, Chicago has winter, too. Yet, somehow, miraculously, thousands of people there continually dress up for dinner and still make it to the restaurant on time after - wait for it - actually walking a few blocks in the cold. Seriously, if you are too put off or fancied up to walk a football field or two, call an uber or a limo. FFS.
    Last edited by dbc; July-10-18 at 11:01 PM.

Except the business group never said this. Read their release.

The business group said they aren't renewing their leases, a very different situation. The lawyers never responded to the business group claims, they just said "we aren't closing".

Also, smart businesses don't admit they're closing until they're actually closing. It kills patronage.

The zoo has nothing to do with downtown RO. The Emagine is a suburban format, with big parking lot. All communities have rib fests and random summer stuff.

This is obviously silly. Bham is a much bigger/more desirable core, and Rochester, while not bigger, is generally more desirable. Both communities have much better restaurants, and you don't have to pay for parking and look ugly for dinner.

But that isn't the issue. The issue is they don't want to, and don't have to.

You can scream "You must put on 17 layers of clothes and look like an eskimo if you want a plate of pasta" but the region has enough alternatives that no one needs to do this. Women can wear heels and look nice, babies can be easily transported, etc.

Last time I checked there wasn’t a “big parking lot”’adjacent to Emagine. Also, I am not sure how you can call it suburban? It abuts the public sidewalk with a multistory parking garage adjacent to it and has valet parking. What other theatre in a typical suburb has this?

This whole thing is silly. I’ve been going to downtown RO for 20 years, in which 10 of those years I have lived two miles away. Parking has not gotten extremely worse, plain and simple. Maybe finding a surface lot spot versus a garage spot has, but that’s a positive sign for the city. I applaud the city’s effort to diversify by adding office buildings, multi family living buildings and a hotel. I don’t ever recall development to be at the level it is now with: two office buildings, one hotel, and at least two large scale luxury apartment buildings under construction.

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    Last time I checked there wasn’t a “big parking lot”’adjacent to Emagine. Also, I am not sure how you can call it suburban? It abuts the public sidewalk with a multistory parking garage adjacent to it and has valet parking. What other theatre in a typical suburb has this?
    I don't know what movie theaters you're talking about. There are big surface lots surrounding both RO movie theaters.

And the Emagine is a totally suburban format. The only difference with other Emagine theaters is that it's close to a downtown Main Street.

And the Emagine is a totally suburban format. The only difference with other Emagine theaters is that it's close to a downtown Main Street.
    Well, there's the EMagine in Birmingham that has no surface parking to speak of, though it's next to a parking structure.

Looks like it's time for corrections:

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...NEWS/180719983

Diablo and Red Fox are not closing. Dixie Moon isn't closing but the owner is suing the city over parking and construction, and has said he has lost revenue due to the construction.

The construction probably could have been handled better. Birmingham had big promotions going on where if you spent so much money downtown, during construction, they'd give you money back. They had two blocks of cash for this and both were used up well before the expiration date. They also have free valet and structure parking to get people downtown. I'm not sure if Royal Oak has similar incentives, but they should.

I walk at work and the gym, when I go out to dine I want the door of the restuarant to be within 17.75 feet of car......

Just joking! My problem in RO has sometimes find 'any' where to park peak times. So I just avoid those times.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    People are lazy and don't want to walk any distance.
    Wear sensible shoes, and suck it up. Walking is part of life.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-11-18 at 07:49 AM.

Yeah, he comes off tacky with the comments, as for everyone who complains about a venue there are those who love it. The mayor might want to let yelp do the heavy lifting on restaurant reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    100% right. I think the mayor should steer clear of critiquing one particular establishment, let the people and official critics decide, it does feel like payback for a personal vendetta. If on the other hand, the business managers were pariahs, repeated offenses due to law or health code enforcement were a problem, an elected official could voice an opinion or render a judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Looks like it's time for corrections:

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...NEWS/180719983

Diablo and Red Fox are not closing. Dixie Moon isn't closing but the owner is suing the city over parking and construction, and has said he has lost revenue due to the construction.
    Here's my question: how did the falsehood-plagued press release get any play in the first place? In other words, who or what was ass enough to publicize that without even bothering to check with the establishments named in it?

Emagine has a very small lot, so most people park in the mixed-use garage attached to the apartment building next door. Emagine also validates parking, so no one needs to get upset about paying $2.50 before going to see a movie for $15 plus $20 worth of pop and popcorn...

The reality is more like,... Guy takes his best girl / wife out for fancy dinner. She's in her best heels, and spent 30 min doing her makeup.

He tries to find a close spot because it's 35 F outside ,.. or perhaps it's 85 F outside.

He can't find one nearby. Tries the lot a block away. That's full too. Finds a spot 1.5 blocks away. They walk to restaurant. They're 7 min late for their reservation.

She's now cold, and her nice shoes are messed up from the snow,.. or perhaps she's hot because it's 85F,.. and her makeup is starting to run, and she's beginning to swe___...er, I mean.. "glow".

She's a bit unhappy and sneaks off to the bathroom to check her makeup. She's NOT feeling pampered. The evening still costs him $120. But instead of her being "treated" to a nice evening,.. it feels like work somehow.

The next time they feel like nice Italian,.. he makes sure to go to the Andiamo's on Telegraph and Maple,.. where you pull right to the front door under a roof and have the valet park the car.
    Umm... how about dropping the Ms. off at the door, having her get the seating, and when he slops in after parking and instead of being seven minutes late for the reservation has his glass of wine and appetizer being delivered.

Or maybe that's not how dating is done now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Umm... how about dropping the Ms. off at the door, having her get the seating, and when he slops in after parking and instead of being seven minutes late for the reservation has his glass of wine and appetizer being delivered.

Or maybe that's not how dating is done now?

Wow are you out of it, Lowell. She drives, drops YOU off, [[because she is woman) You order drinks and appetizers. [[don't screw up!) She sits down, you choose entrees. Then both of you spend the next hour scratching @ your phones while eating. She asks "Are you ready?" You summon the waiter/waitress. YOU pay the bill. Then both of you walk back to the vehicle. [[because you're a big boy)

I don't live in R.O.,.. buit I have a few good friends that do,.. and build houses there.

They tell me it's been getting real bad the last few years [[parking wise), and it's not sustainable.

The city is handing out too many liquor licenses for one [[they think).

With limited parking,.. you need to mix up your use. Such as,.. in a strip mall you would never want to have all morning places [[like coffee shops and breakfast joints.) You would be turning away customers in the am,.. and have empty lots in the evenings.

To make great money you need to diversify. A coffee place,.. a lunch place,.. a bar,.. and a couple all-day places like a market or nail salon. That way the parking lot turns over many times a day,.. and you maximize the number of customers / dollars per acre of land.

R.O. seems to be going for all night-life. Which is cool until you get to a point where people can't get out of their cars to go inside.

I will occasionally go into R.O. for lunch at Tom's,.. but never in the evenings.

Turn-over is increasing on Main Street. Yes there is still investment,.. but owners are increasingly loosing money on some of those. There may come a day when the investment stops because prospective owners figure it out. And if there's a bit of a collapse on Main St.,.. that could cause a collapse of the housing bubble that's going on in R.O right now.

Dessert Oasis is opening a new store on Main Street. There's also Atomic, Bean and Leaf, Goldfish, Starbucks, Bruegger's Bagels, Cacao Tree, The Office and Cafe Muse if you're looking for a coffee shop. I don't work in RO, so I can't speak to the lunchtime options, but I'd imagine Blaze, BSpot, BWW, Pronto, Lockhart's, Iron Horse, ROAK, all do well.

Royal Oak is a pretty small downtown; if you're expecting some massively diverse, bustling metropolis of culture, you will be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Thank you Richard Simmons.
    You're welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Maybe in the Renaissance Center, you know, with a view of Canada? I mean, like a place, you know, where the patrons did not have to actually look at the city.

The water might help with the gondola thing, ya know.

Sounds kinda sweet.
    gee if only ...someone should totally suggest it

R.O. seems to be going for all night-life.
    Which is bizarre because the rest of the city has recently been going all-out on teardown suburban homes, obviously intended for families with children.

Birmingham has pretty much run of out neighborhoods to destroy, I mean, revitalize, so the developers have turned southwards. Plus most 30-somethings aren't exactly in the market for a $1 million+ home squeezed onto a tiny lot, with garage out back, and cheapo construction, which is reality now with many teardowns north of 14 Mile. At least RO is still semi-affordable.

Second, the leadership seems about as mature as Beavis and Butt Head [[or Dotard). When downtown restaurants close, the mayor goes on moronic tweetstorms ripping the food quality and the patrons.

It is socially and politically acceptable for politicians to tweet whatever at whomever about whatever topic they like. There should not be any sense of uproar about that any longer.

If all of the restaurants are going out of business, where are all of these people going whose cars are taking up the parking spaces?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    If all of the restaurants are going out of business, where are all of these people going whose cars are taking up the parking spaces?
    Obviously "all the restaurants" aren't going out of business, but apparently some are.

The point is that the city is taking away parking spaces vital to restaurant profitability, not that existing parking spaces are in greater demand.

Obviously "all the restaurants" aren't going out of business, but apparently some are.

The point is that the city is taking away parking spaces vital to restaurant profitability, not that existing parking spaces are in greater demand.
    Where are the restaurant patrons going as an alternative to Royal Oak?

Detroit emerging as a restaurant hotbed has to have some kind of impact on the rest of the Metro area. How many people were dining out in Midtown 10 years ago?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast