Quote Originally Posted by blksoul_x View Post
Good Stuff HM....thanx for sharing.

LONG LIVE BLACK RADIO! Another extension of the Black experience...The brilliance of something being born out of necessity!

My favorite station growing up was 107.5 WGPR. They jammed me through many days of boredom. I remember meeting MOJO at the studio when me and my crew decided to stop by the studio as we were riding on bikes back from our trip to the Isle. He gave us MFA [[Midnight Funk Association) buttons, cards and T-shirts [[wish I still had the shirt), and promised to give us a shout out over the radio waves.

Here is a list of Black radio DJs that shaped my view of Detroit Radio.

JC, James Cage [[WGPR weekday mornings)
Rock'n Reg Brown [[WGPR Saturday mornings)
Marvelous Marv [[Your Midday DJ)
Tiger Dan [[Your Drive Time DJ)
Reubin The Bukka [[1440 am)
Tony 'T Square' Anthony [[WGPR after drive time)
The Rose [[WJZZ)
Buzz Gorie [[WGPR 'Deep Space Six' broadcast)

.....and even though he wasn't an on air DJ, Jeff Mills ought to be mentioned when one speaks of great Black Detroit DJs. Jeff Mills, aka 'The Wizard', revolutionized Detroit radio with his unique style of mixing. He brought the Club to Detroit radio. I believe MOJO first introduced the Wizard on the MFA.

HM, you mentioned that MOJO's broadcast is currently on air at 105.9 WDMK on Friday nights? If so, WHAT a pleasant surprise!

blksoul_atcha!
The BJL, the color you love to hate!

X, you been laying rather low round here for a while.

Buzz Gorie's Deep Space Radio rarely gets any mention, probably because it was so damn short lived [[one full summer maybe), and came on Saturdays late nite, where you could drive to the club and hear it but never finish the show. But man, he could blow your mind out with that Detroit sound often identified as "techno" but it was so much deeper and industrial. While Derrick May and KMS are often identified with the genre, Juan's raw style, post Cybotron and Model 500, reminded you of driving by the Packard Plant, drivin' down Jefferson, and influenced the guests that Gorie would have in the studio.

Interesting now how half the poppy radio these days has the foundation of that sound we grew up with 25 years ago, except they've bastardized it with the voice box, the trance, and the soullessness.

We were lucky, and we knew it then. We miss it now.