Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
I and the vast majority of Detroiters weren't around in 1928 so your statment is pointless and a pretty feeble attempt at humor.

As for Detroit taking on the bulk of the region's homeless, menatlly ill and impoverished impacts the bottom line for the city. It hurts neighborhoods, property values, safety and puts a large strain on city resources. The fact that we live in a region that is comfortable sticking the bulk of the mentally ill, and homeless in Detroit is an issue both socially and financially to the city. I agree it is an issue that needs to be addressed at the state level but the SE Michigan region is and has been very happy with pushing those problems into Detroit and turning a bling eye that they exist. Out of sight, out of mind works for most of the region which is a big issue.
No one "sticks" homeless people anywhere. They migrate along the path of least resistance, similar to water or electricity. Perhaps, now I am just saying perhaps, if the city of Detroit and the citizens of Detroit did more to make life less convenient for these homeless, they might leave. Just a guess.

Maybe, just maybe, for starters, the city police could start clearing all the squatters from the tent cities that exist around town. That might get those folks to leave, or at least thin the herd. But then the usual whiners couldn't complain about how the region dumps on the blameless victim Detroit and her citizens, and that would leave most people on here nothing to post about. So, on second thought scratch that idea, let's just leave things at the status quo.