Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Well, UncleFrank, it's nice to have a point of view. I'll put you down as a "no", ok?

The flip-side of the annexation, and co-mingled with the idea of "right-sizing" Detroit, what would be the obstacles to de-annexing parts of the city?

In part, return Old Redford to Redford Township. Warrendale to Dearborn. Chunks of the eastside to GPP or Harper Woods.

What does the brain-trust think of that? If Detroit has to right-size, like Youngstown, that means locking down huge swaths of the City. Those areas, I feel, would become an urbanized version of Sherwood Forrest of Robin Hood fame. Essentially, lawless no-man-lands where the Robbing Hoods would retreat to hide from the Sheriff. Therefore, instead of letting them go fallow, what if they were de-annexed?
    The problem with that is that the outer neighborhoods also happens to be where much of the city's population currently lives. Deannexing those areas doesn't help the city by relieving it of areas that it has to service; instead it would more rapidly erodes the city's tax base.

Wow, that was a real knee slapper. You made my day!!
    I can just see white people rioting at their city hall in protest over that scenario. NEVER happen.

detmich Guest

You are demonstrating the trait that most clearly illustrates the reasons for Detroit's failures. I am speaking of Detroit the city, and "Detroit" the mythological seat of the automotive gods. Detroit is the automobile's Mount Olympus, and you are allowing it to be over run by the vengeful Titans. Much like the Tennessee Titans do to the Lions. That needs to stop.

Detroiters need to think BIG picture, grandiose daring dreams of a great metropolis! Detroit was once known as the Paris of the Midwest? Screw that. Detroit must be come the Istanbul of North America! Standing astride the Straits of Detroit as if they were a New World Bosporous. God damn it, annex Windsor! It is already a part of the international metropolis!

In one fell swoop Detroit could:
    eliminate the onerous need for cumbersome "passports" across the immoral "Maple SyrupCurtain";
    Right size Detroit's population and increase the tax base;
    Control all gambling in the area;
    Destroy the powerbase of Matty Moroun;
    Save the Lafayette building;
    Gain health care for all citizens;
    Redevelop the Packard plant;
    End the wrangling over same sex marriage;
    Improve abortion access;
    End the application of "Chem-trails" overhead;
    Increase contact with our UFO visitors;
    Increase the customer base at Eph's, Good Girls, and MCB;
    Save the United Auto Workers from extinction;
    Create super demand for high fidelity stereo publications.

Perhaps an excellent way to begin this rapproachment would be an exchange of Lego brick sculptures, a la US- China ping-pong matches under Nixon. I would like to know if there is an online petition that we can sign to let the mayor and city council know how we feel about this initiative.

By the way, what are the taxes like in Windsor compared to Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    God damn it, annex Windsor! ...

By the way, what are the taxes like in Windsor compared to Detroit?
    The US should annex all of Canada, for all I care. We're probably the second highest taxed people in the world right behind the Swedes. I'll take your tax structure any day.