Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Here is one page about Michigan annexation laws:
    http://law.onecle.com/michigan/42-ch...mcl-42-34.html

It would seem if Royal Oak Township or Redford Township voted to be annexed, they could. However, I imagine that would be very unlikely given Detroit's problems currently. It does happen. Jacksonville and Indianapolis, and most of their suburbs have consolidated. Houston and Phoenix have annexed land in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbad89 View Post
    It would seem if Royal Oak Township or Redford Township voted to be annexed, they could. However, I imagine that would be very unlikely given Detroit's problems currently. It does happen. Jacksonville and Indianapolis, and most of their suburbs have consolidated. Houston and Phoenix have annexed land in recent years.
    I assume the government in those places is at least lucid, which is not the case here. As I said in the thread that spawned this one - Who would be lining up to be represented by tiara-wearing Council members?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Quonset Hut View Post
    I assume the government in those places is at least lucid, which is not the case here. As I said in the thread that spawned this one - Who would be lining up to be represented by tiara-wearing Council members?
    Toronto's annexation took it from 37 square miles to 243. If Detroit increased its physical area in a similar proportion, "new" residents would outvote "old" ones by a huge margin. L. Brooks Patterson might even be elected mayor.

Interesting discussion, but irrelevant. The laws have changed since the late 19th and early 20th century. There is no place, so far as I can tell, where Detroit would have a ghost of a chance of annexing any additional land area, the way the laws now stand.

Big reason, this is America [[for now) and Toronto is Canada. America has citizens and Canada has subjects of the Crown. All this is subject to change as our government tries to find new ways to take our freedoms, while the uncaring population is pacified by American idle.