Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Revive The Big 4 and send them in.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Area is such a mess. Whether I'm with local friends or entertaining out-of-towners, I rarely bother to go to Greektown anymore...especially later in the evening. It's not even all that neat of place as is.
    Same. Will only go there during the day and early evening and never stay later than that.

Sad as I used to go often back even to the days of Stella!

Somebody call me?????

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    That's because Chicago isn't out of control. 3 small horribly crime ridden neighborhoods are out of control.
    I have to disagree. I lived in Chicago for 2 decades, crime is everywhere. I lived a few blocks from Navy Pier for 4 years, was a victim of 3 crimes. Walk through Chicago's River North neighborhood any weekend night, drug dealing and use is in abundance, and I'm not referring to pot. Chicago has been a longtime hub of Mexican heroin and cocaine

Detroit revenues are up. The city needs to hire more cops. Give community policing a solid try, it seems to be helping in Chicago.

Violent crime is really fucking bad for business. Bad for the neighborhoods. Expensive problems come with it. Detroit and Lansing should know that by now.

From what y'all have posted here, I wouldn't even recognize the place any more. No Stella, no International .... I don't remember the name of the bakery I use to hit for a Baklava and a bag of other stuff. Engine 9 isn't even there any more. We used to park there and walk around the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Sad as I used to go often back even to the days of Stella!

Somebody call me?????

That's got to be an old photo, Ray, before all the bling and the nightstick.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Detroit revenues are up. The city needs to hire more cops. Give community policing a solid try, it seems to be helping in Chicago.

Violent crime is really fucking bad for business. Bad for the neighborhoods. Expensive problems come with it. Detroit and Lansing should know that by now.
    You don't know the half of it and you probably never will. It doesn't make the news or it gets swept under the rug.

Of course I can't find any real information now, but it seems I read at one time that she used to be a decent person in her younger days. All you read about is her time in the GT area after whatever caused her decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That's got to be an old photo, Ray, before all the bling and the nightstick.
    Stella is and always will be eternal. At least, for those of us whose paths crossed.

You don't know the half of it and you probably never will. It doesn't make the news or it gets swept under the rug.
    There are mountains of apathy around here on the issue of violent crimes in Detroit for sure. Downplayed and hidden from view, absolutely.

The proof is in the 25 threads a year started on this board on how badly a train is needed to get to the GD airport like it is Detroit’s most pressing need while not one gets started about the many square miles of Detroit where it is downright dangerous for a kid to grown up in. No expatriate experts, no maps, no ideas on how to fix the problem thrown out.

Violent crime played a major role in crippling Detroit in its history and it is fully capable of doing it again if it remains unaddressed by another generation.

I believe that you could say that about the entire city.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Stella is and always will be eternal. At least, for those of us whose paths crossed.
    characters

Concerned Citizen - Was this heinous act committed by a group of terrorist? Should we call the folks at Homeland Security to help make the community safe!
    Radio Show Voice - No, the perps don't have a political agenda so they are not classified as terrorists. No need to call Homeland Security.
    Concerned Citizen - But they are terrorizing the law abiding citizens that have jobs and pay taxes.
    Radio Show Voice - No need to worry. They're just street thugs shooting up the town. When it comes to public safety, it all about the money, the jurisdiction and power. Then comes public safety. It's just another day keeping it real in the D and every other big city in America.

Announcer: In next weeks episode, someone goes Eastside!

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    There are mountains of apathy around here on the issue of violent crimes in Detroit for sure. Downplayed and hidden from view, absolutely.

The proof is in the 25 threads a year started on this board on how badly a train is needed to get to the GD airport like it is Detroit’s most pressing need while not one gets started about the many square miles of Detroit where it is downright dangerous for a kid to grown up in. No expatriate experts, no maps, no ideas on how to fix the problem thrown out.

Violent crime played a major role in crippling Detroit in its history and it is fully capable of doing it again if it remains unaddressed by another generation.

It's still a major role. Worse part is the cops, [[apologies to the gang and drug squads) do nothing. You tell them "they're right there", they tell you "you'll have to come down and make a police report". Then it gets written up as "property crime". The only time it becomes a problem is when it happens in the green zone. We want people to keep coming to the coliseums and to keep buying designer boxer shorts.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-07-19 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

There you go. Actually I've been around long enough to remember both photos.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I believe that you could say that about the entire city.
    That's exactly what I meant.

I for sure remember the 'old' lady Stella... and the portrait artists too that used to sit along Monroe.

There you go. Actually I've been around long enough to remember both photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I for sure remember the 'old' lady Stella... and the portrait artists too that used to sit along Monroe.
    You must be younger than I am. I do remember the portrait artists, but we went down there before Greektown "took off". It started going downhill [[IMO) when they opened those 3 floors of shops. That's when Greektown became "discovered". @ first it was good, then it became over crowded, and petty crimes started. [[purse snatching, chain snatching, car break-ins, etc.) Now it sounds like it's escalated to a whole new level. I stopped going when you waited 45 minutes in line, outside the restaurant, only to be told, after being seated, they were out of this and out of that. The food also became cookie-cutter mundane.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-07-19 at 06:58 AM.

Article on Stella's background, and her final, peaceful days.
    Last edited by archfan; May-13-19 at 12:55 AM.

Hah, a lady never tells her age...... I sorta liked the 80's Trapper's Alley days; there was still a feel of the old GT remaining. Though I never liked all that restaurant wait and rush and not so great food as things progressed.

You must be younger than I am. I do remember the portrait artists, but we went down there before Greektown "took off". It started going downhill [[IMO) when they opened those 3 floors of shops. That's when Greektown became "discovered"....

Yeah, I am done with GT. Maybe an occasion Pizza Pappalis on a Thursday early evening -- out by 6PM. Never on a weekend at night, late.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-09-19 at 11:17 AM.

It was probably the Nazi's.

^^^ Nah! They'd long gone, leaving us to ourselves.........

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast