Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Another reason why Detroit cannot keep retailers!

Thieves Empty Out Popular Detroit Sporting Goods Store

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ng-goods-store

I've worked in this area and this store employed people and one of the few inside Detroit. The strip mall is half deserted as it is and is less then 10 years old. I think these shop keepers will keep it movin' as they say and got out of Detroit beyond this last hit.... Crime has got to be addressed in Detroit - now!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-10-11 at 09:54 PM.

lilpup Guest

Eight robberies in a year is pretty suspicious. I'd be looking at the owner as much as any other suspects.

I hear you. I might think it to be an insurance scam but that area [[St Jean at Jefferson not far from Connor), is VERY rough with cars stolen on the regular, robberies, shootings, break-ins of homes and other businesses. Other stores have already left the strip mall which never made it as it was expected. There's a Sprint Store nearby that has been hanging on though as well as a Payless shoe store. The Coney Island across the street smartly closes early around 5:00 PM everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Eight robberies in a year is pretty suspicious. I'd be looking at the owner as much as any other suspects.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-10-11 at 11:39 PM.

If your store has been robbed 8 times in the past year, then they should be paying for a security guard to sit there every night.

Something is not right with this story.

From what this looks like to me that the thieves backed a U-haul truck into the front of the store, and a large group of people quickly went inside the store and threw all the inventory into the truck and left.

There is not many crimes where a large group of people are involved with a break on this large of a scale. Typically what you see is that they will break through the front window, and 1 or 2 people will go inside see if there is any cash in the register and take a few high value items.

Also $10,000 doesn't seem right as an amount of stolen merchandise for that size of a store if the entire place was cleaned out. Either the markup on shoes and clothes is way too high for these types of places, of they got the numbers wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    If your store has been robbed 8 times in the past year, then they should be paying for a security guard to sit there every night.

Something is not right with this story.

From what this looks like to me that the thieves backed a U-haul truck into the front of the store, and a large group of people quickly went inside the store and threw all the inventory into the truck and left.
    You're right. It's fishy.

Might be a little pricey for one store to hire a security guard, but this is a strip mall. How could there not be a mall security guard? Even if the plaza is half empty, there should be a mall security guard [[with the costs split by other tenants) after the first out of eight robberies in a month and a half. And they leave out other important things like did the alarm go off? Was it connected to the PD? What was the police response time? Could the police have arrived in the time it took to empty it out? Where's the security camera footage? Did they have cameras in there? Why doesn't the plaza have cameras all across the plaza if this has been happening so many times already? Best Buy sells colour outdoor cameras with 100' of telephone wire for $30 bucks a piece that can be connected a PC Card that costs 20 bucks on e-bay. Vs. a smooth execution of a $10,000 inventory loss from the eighth robbery? It's all too convenient.

You make many compelling points. The eight robberies where within the year though, not a month.....
    Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    You're right. It's fishy.

Might be a little pricey for one store to hire a security guard, but this is a strip mall. How could there not be a mall security guard? Even if the plaza is half empty, there should be a mall security guard [[with the costs split by other tenants) after the first out of eight robberies in a month and a half. And they leave out other important things like did the alarm go off? Was it connected to the PD? What was the police response time? Could the police have arrived in the time it took to empty it out? Where's the security camera footage? Did they have cameras in there? Why doesn't the plaza have cameras all across the plaza if this has been happening so many times already? Best Buy sells colour outdoor cameras with 100' of telephone wire for $30 bucks a piece that can be connected a PC Card that costs 20 bucks on e-bay. Vs. a smooth execution of a $10,000 inventory loss from the eighth robbery? It's all too convenient.

I don't think its fishy and this is my reasoning.....shootings are rampant, I don't think there is a day that goes by that we don't hear of a shooting, fewer police, and the ones that are on duty don't or can't do much if anything. Theives are getting more brazen.....after all they robbed and got a armored truck in broad daylight in Sterling Heights. In my humble opinion I see a gradual uptick in violence and social unrest....and I think its picking up steam.
    I really want to be positive about the future of the Detroit area, but its hard. Even people in parking lots stores and restuarants now seem to be ready at the drop of a hat want to start a fight for stupid things. Go sit in on a gun board meeting and you will see the large amount of citizens that are getting permits, every single month.......I am afraid for the future, not of just Detroit, but society as a whole.

I'd like to know how many times the other stores in the complex have been robbed in the last month and a half. If the answer is zero. Then, I think there's definitely something fishy going on.

We know how some of the ghetto types feel about athletic clothing and the ways they have acquired said merchandise before. Tough to compare this store to the other stores in the strip really.

Blame the store owner, sure you could do that [[why didn't he increase security???), but what if it's just a group of shitty citizens that have robbed this guys store on a regular basis?

DetroitPole Guest

In classic Detroit fashion, blaming the victim.

The original poster attested to the fact that this strip mall is nearly empty. Did all those other owners commit some type of fraud as well, before closing up shop? Or maybe that got sick of this type of shit. Honestly, what is the incentive to open a small business or franchise in Detroit, other than pure emotional attachment to the city? Other than liquor stores, which are awful but more secure than a SuperMax, the city is devoid of quality small retail outside of the cutesy stuff in Midtown.

Eight times in one year should not surprise anyone who is familiar with the crime in this city. I'd say that is about par for the course, especially with a store that sells merchandise that would be so popular with ghetto folk.

I'm not going to give away where I work, but we just had some ridiculous shit stolen. Anything that has the value of a few dollars people in this city will go through incredible lengths to get to. The simple fact that this store [[had) windows and was a storefront makes it fair game in this city.

DetroitPole,

Tell us how you really feel.
    Par for the course, lol.

First robberies in Detroit ghettohoods leads to more store closings. Second, no place in Detroit to rob so the robberies will hit 8 Mile Rd. No place to rob pass 8 Mile Rd, so the robberies will hit 20 Mile Rd.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Becuase crime is everywhere!

Neda, I miss you so.
    Last edited by Danny; July-11-11 at 12:26 PM.

It's a waterfall.
    Guy robs store.
    Store closes.
    6 employees lose jobs.
    1 of those 6 goes and robs a store.
    That store closes.
    10 more lose jobs.
    And on and on and on.

Way over simplification, I know, but food for thought.

Look out N8ters [[north of 8 mile folks) there's not going to be much left to rob in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    In classic Detroit fashion, blaming the victim.

The original poster attested to the fact that this strip mall is nearly empty. Did all those other owners commit some type of fraud as well, before closing up shop? Or maybe that got sick of this type of shit. Honestly, what is the incentive to open a small business or franchise in Detroit, other than pure emotional attachment to the city? Other than liquor stores, which are awful but more secure than a SuperMax, the city is devoid of quality small retail outside of the cutesy stuff in Midtown.

Eight times in one year should not surprise anyone who is familiar with the crime in this city. I'd say that is about par for the course, especially with a store that sells merchandise that would be so popular with ghetto folk.

I'm not going to give away where I work, but we just had some ridiculous shit stolen. Anything that has the value of a few dollars people in this city will go through incredible lengths to get to. The simple fact that this store [[had) windows and was a storefront makes it fair game in this city.
    I'm not blaming the victims. I'm saying that 8 robberies in 6 weeks is awfully unusual. The Athlete's Foot used to be downtown on lower Woodward, so they must have moved to this location on Jefferson fairly recently. The area itself is relatively decent and well-traveled. It is possible that this store just had a wild streak of bad luck and the owner may be a completely innocent victim, in which case, my regrets.

This robbery, however, has many signs of an inside job. The store gets a big shipment of all new inventory, and immediately it gets robbed. It sure seems like somebody probably had knowledge of that fact. It also strikes me as odd that somebody backed a truck up right into the front window, parked it there, and then proceeded to load it up with all the merchandise right there on Jefferson Ave with nobody noticing. If this were truly a random robbery, driving into the front of the building would have been a huge risk, not only because you're exposed and in plain sight, but especially because you wouldn't know if there is a silent alarm. Further, it must have taken more than a minute or two to steal as much stuff as the owners imply was taken. To me, it seems more likely that somebody who works there [[1) knew about the shipment, and [[2) knew that there was no alarm or they disabled it. They then came back in the middle of the night and took all the merchandise out the back door at their leisure. Before they left, they rammed the front of the building to make it look like a robbery. Otherwise, as an employee, they would have been a prime suspect.

Certainly, this is all speculation, but it doesn't strike me as your typical smash and grab, where a cat burglar crowbars the lock, bags up all the valuables, and then sneaks off into the night. It's also not your typical armed robbery where a masked gunman rushes the store clerk, grabs the stack of money, and flees in a getaway car. It seems a little more deliberate and sophisticated than that. It smells like an inside job or possibly insurance fraud.
    Last edited by BrushStart; July-12-11 at 04:15 PM.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    It's a waterfall.
    Guy robs store.
    Store closes.
    6 employees lose jobs.
    1 of those 6 goes and robs a store.
    That store closes.
    10 more lose jobs.
    And on and on and on.

Way over simplification, I know, but food for thought.

Look out N8ters [[north of 8 mile folks) there's not going to be much left to rob in the city.

Yes, but a major difference is the functionality of the police departments involved. The communities "north of 8 mile" have police departments that actually "police" the community.

Two examples:
    4 gentlemen tried to rob an independent pharmacy on 9 mile in Ferndale earlier this week. Ferndale's finest was there before they even exited the store, and all 4 were apprehended.

Last year, I woke up to discover my truck has been stolen during the night. I called the Ferndale police, and they sent a car to the house. The car arrived within 120 seconds of my call - the officer took my information, and the truck was recovered before the police officer even left my driveway. The 2 "gentlemen" that took the truck were apprehended and convicted.

Well the Bank of America is holding fast in that mall... they have a armed gaurd, but have not sunk to the level of the red/light-green/light steel door only 'one-person-at-time' entry security of some of thre few remaining banks.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I'd like to know how many times the other stores in the complex have been robbed in the last month and a half. If the answer is zero. Then, I think there's definitely something fishy going on.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-17-11 at 01:15 AM.

I disagree that this area is relatively 'decent'. Nearby Connor avenue is a real joy for example. I work nearby and it's not a day at the park. Mack and St. Jean has had it's share of crime including a teen that was murdered there last year. Where I work we've have cars stolen and cat. converters cut off for metal scrap often [[mostly Chrysler products). Further, many of the shops close early before the 'muck and fray' can really get started [[example: Legends Coney Island across from the mall closes daily by 5:00 PM)...

And now we have another attempted smash and grab [[a truck used to crash thru the glass front) of an ATM machine at a gas station nearby on Jefferson:

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/men-ram...ion,-steal-atm

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I'm not blaming the victims. I'm saying that 8 robberies in 6 weeks is awfully unusual. The Athlete's Foot used to be downtown on lower Woodward, so they must have moved to this location on Jefferson fairly recently. The area itself is relatively decent and well-traveled. It is possible that this store just had a wild streak of bad luck and the owner may be a completely innocent victim, in which case, my regrets...
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-17-11 at 08:00 AM.

Back to the shoe store. You can find people for $8 per hour to sit there with a gun and watch TV all night in the store. As long as someone is there watching things, people will stay away and do the crime elsewhere.

Other thing, get a security system with visual monitorning

Well 'visual monitoring' captured a great deal of footage of the gas station down the road 'crash and grab' of an ATM... they robbed the attendant too! These folks are getting pretty brazen! We may have to pay that armed security person more than $8 an hour............. Most security folks that have a CDL demand more.... and should.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ry-20110716-rs

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Back to the shoe store. You can find people for $8 per hour to sit there with a gun and watch TV all night in the store. As long as someone is there watching things, people will stay away and do the crime elsewhere.

Other thing, get a security system with visual monitorning
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-17-11 at 08:40 AM.

Keep in mind that this isn't the only athlete's foot in the city. There are 6 locations in detroit and another in hp. It seems a little suspicious to me that they hit the same one every time....

Now I can't claim to have a great criminal mind but wouldn't it make more sense to spread it out a bit? at least that way you'd keep the police and store owners guessing [[and still get the same loot) If it was an inside job though they might not have knowledge of shipments at other stores.

another factor: the area. Obviously crime wise its very far from where we'd like it but my question is is it worse than average for detroit? I'm just throwing darts here but this shopping center is basically in jeff-chalmers which is considered safer than average for detroit. I realize these factors aren't always important for criminals but again makes me wonder why this store was robbed several times and not say the store at gratiot and 7.

Area? This is NOT the mall at Jefferson and Chalmers, which is east of Conner Ave. This strip mall is at Jefferson and Lillibridge bordered by St. Jean. The mall is 1/3 occupancy - flag ship store of some sort was planned or started but that space remains vacant like the rest of the mall.

This mall is bordered by huge vacant/ overgrown lots, backing into a questionable area. It's not densely populated with homes and the Gratiot store is a bit closer to the only police precinct serving the entire east side. The area is poorly lit at night. The criminals know this and act accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by rencense View Post
    ...Another factor: the area. Obviously crime wise its very far from where we'd like it but my question is is it worse than average for detroit? I'm just throwing darts here but this shopping center is basically in jeff-chalmers which is considered safer than average for detroit. I realize these factors aren't always important for criminals but again makes me wonder why this store was robbed several times and not say the store at gratiot and 7.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-17-11 at 09:50 AM.

There are 2 plazas at Warren / Connor. This is in the small one right? These plazas get a lot of traffic. I wonder how much businesses in the area have to pay for insurance. Seems like a bad place to set up shop. I had a girl approach me right up the street from there. A business woman of sorts, probably a police woman but regardless, She hoped to render services for like 3 dollars. I was astonished. I think I said.."what you need 3 dollars for that bad."

ok my mistake for some reason i was thinking of the riverbend shopping center a bit east of there. I'm not as familiar with the area around st jean. I know theres some new housing but a lot of that area is vacant land.

The proximity to a police precinct could certainly be a factor.

The sports shoe store is on the larger mall which has a Bank of America on the corner. I take care when in that area and frequent it a great deal... and St. Jean has it's troubles for certain. Not far are some newer homes and if you go further east down Dickerson you run into some really nice property in one corner, then a blighted area on another along the water front. The Chalmers mall is near full occupancy with a Spartan grocery and auto supplies store and several other businesses - It's the safer of the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Autoracks View Post
    There are 2 plazas at Warren / Connor. This is in the small one right? These plazas get a lot of traffic. I wonder how much businesses in the area have to pay for insurance. Seems like a bad place to set up shop. I had a girl approach me right up the street from there. A business woman of sorts, probably a police woman but regardless, She hoped to render services for like 3 dollars. I was astonished. I think I said.."what you need 3 dollars for that bad."
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-17-11 at 10:17 AM.

Yeah there's some newer property not far and the problem of there being only ONE police precinct for all of Detroit's east side is a factor. The Grose Point police do overlap at the border into the Jefferson Detroit area as far as to Chalmers, but mostly I see them writing traffic tickets.
    Quote Originally Posted by rencense View Post
    ok my mistake for some reason i was thinking of the riverbend shopping center a bit east of there. I'm not as familiar with the area around st jean. I know theres some new housing but a lot of that area is vacant land.

The proximity to a police precinct could certainly be a factor.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-17-11 at 10:21 AM.