Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I think it took third place in the horse show. The most memorable part, we kids thought it was hilarious: one of the horses was, er, particularly alert during the competition. Swinging like a pendulum almost scraping the dirt the entire time. We couldn't believe it: that one took the blue ribbon. What I learned that day: what "hung like a horse" means.
    Yikes! Now that's funny.

I would assume if the city does thier own fireworks they would use that large park behind the Hazel Park Rec Center

Went there quite a bit from mid-70s to mid-80s or so for the harness racing. Back then they averaged about $800K in nightly handle and during the big weeks when the touring horses came to town they averaged over $1M in nightly handle.

This totally sucks for the poor horses:
    About 20 thoroughbreds were cooped up in stalls, standing on fresh wood shavings, unable to train properly because the track had been locked up for days. The horses were getting riled up, waiting to get shipped to another state.
    It was downright cruel the way Hazel Park Raceway closed suddenly, earlier this month, without warning, effectively ending thoroughbred racing in Michigan. The timing alone was harrowing for the horsemen, who had to scramble to find a new place to race out of state, but it created a different problem for the horses left in limbo.
    https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...ose/515818002/

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    I used to go with some friends back in the 1960's. I don't know why I still have this old ticket from June, 1966, except that maybe it's a winner that I was going to cash-in and forgot. Is it too late??????Attachment 35465
    In those days of multi-colored tickets [[and before bar codes) after a winning ticket was cashed, the corner was ripped off by the teller [[as your is).
    Most tellers through them in the trash can after they balanced their sheets at the end of the night.
    Some simply through them on the floor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2