Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "Yes, because your comparison between eugenics and the belief that the building is ugly was the height of gravitas and open-mindedness."

It really is/was. I'm not close-minded to cling to some mediocre physical structure that is/was really just someone's business. And for the sake of some memory and at the cost of progress to justify it's preservation. You seen a few movies there and enjoyed yourself? Great! Hang on to those memories. If we saved every building on that criteria...
    Stop making sense! I don't think everyone has their tin foil hats on yet...

Thanks for the ID's. The above conversation may have answered some other questions. Let me confirm these... This was Sam's Warehouse?

...and this I am guessing is a former location of BestBuy, now relocated to teh east?

BTW this has a painted over sign indicating seasonal use as a Halloween USA store. I noticed last week that it is opening up again for that purpose and is advertising to hire - if anyone looking for a short time job.

Here are the ones that left their names. I would be curious if anyone know how long any or all of these exsited before they were shuttered.

David's Bridal and Laser Quest.

Service Merchandise

Circuit City

The most shocking thing that I have learned in this thread is that the Best Buy in Westland closed down. Best Buy is probably the strongest retailer in America now.

I'm usually one to err on the side of preservation... But what will be the function of this building if it is saved? Westland will continue to be the cookie cutter suburb that it was intended, with or without this building. The presence of this single structure won't exactly stir some type of gentrification effort for that area.

I guess you could turn it into a cool museum or something... But then what the hell is the point of putting a museum in Westland?! By design, Westland and all that it encompasses, is off the beaten path! So you can file one for me under "tear that schitt down".

I haven't visited that section of Metro Detroit in years, but I did spend a lot of time in the area as a youth. I remember when that Sam's Club near Westland Mall first opened up [[as a PACE IIRC) nearly 20 years ago .

And some more, again looking for birth and death dates...
    Mexican Buffet

TJ Max

Oops another "not sure" site. Since it is woodsie looking coffee shop should I guess Bear Claw?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Here are the ones that left their names. I would be curious if anyone know how long any or all of these exsited before they were shuttered.

David's Bridal and Laser Quest.

Service Merchandise

Circuit City
    They never replaced Service Merchandise with another tenant? Didn't they go out of business more than a decade ago?

IhearttheD, BestBuy is not closed. It apparently relocated to the east where it definitely has better visibility. You can see it in the background of the picture which shows the Sonic Drive-In construction.

When gathering these pictures, one thing that amazed me was not only the un-walkablility of all the locations, set far from the road with no sidewalks, but also the un-inter-drivability of all of them. Each big box has a mega front parking lot is that walled of from the adjacent business rather than one big shared lot, like Westland Shopping Center does. You have to drive in and out of each lot.

I have heard rumbling from people in the know that the next big real estate shoe to drop is the commercial market and the it threatens to be as big as the residential collapse.

You are right Lowell, the commercial real estate market will collapse, take jobs and create more blight. Look at all the closed factories, schools, MCD, etc, that will be the future look of commercial real estate. In the next twelve months we sill see major changes with closings, and unemployment.

On the point of architecture, a good architect conveys his thought through his designs. Just because something is old does not mean it is good! Unfortunately most people don't have a trained eye to distinguish good from bad when it is in a state of decay. The Quo Vadis including the marquis' is a very interesting building. It's feeling should be preserved and a creative reuse implemented.

@ Lowell...

Yep, former Sams Club [[closed at least 6 years ago, probably longer)
    Obviously the former Best Buy [[now seasonally a Halloween USA as you mention)
    Davids Bridal closed more recently, but the Laser Quest has been closed for at least 5 years.
    The Service Merchandise has been empty for a long time, probably 10 years.
    The Circuit City closed as the chain itself did, around October.

The Mexican Buffet is an interesting place. That location has been a revolving door of non-chain restaurants for at least 15 years. None has lasted longer than 2-3 years. There have been about 3 Chinese places, 2 Mexican places, a Greek place, etc. It's a black hole for start up restaurants.

I'm not positive about the TJ Maxx but I think it closed last summer?

And the Bearclaw Coffee closed about 2-3 years ago. This location has also been a revolving door of failed businesses. It was a sandwich place called Cold Cut Cruise, an Ice Cream place, a couple coffee shops. No luck for any. Although the Bear Claw Coffee may have succeeded but the owner ran it on an idiotic time frame. The place was closed by 6 pm, no joke.

Next door [[not pictured) there is a restaurant that is another revolving door of failures. It was a KFC, but they closed and it became a string of unsuccessful family restaurants, for a long time "Rana's Kitchen" or something like that. A new one just closed again I believe...

Quote: "one thing that amazed me was not only the un-walkablility of all the locations, set far from the road with no sidewalks, but also the un-inter-drivability of all of them."

Just surface street capacity for that area is class example of poor demographic research. Around the holidays, it is/was virtually inaccessible. I tried Xmas shopping there a few times and said screw it.
    One of the reasons those retails are gone is because of the internet. "Why pay more?" I agree.

Is the New Mexico Restaurant still there on Ford Road west of Wayne? That place is great.

Not to rain on any of the Westland supporter's here, but I have little sympathy for movie theaters that close in the burbs, as they helped to cause the deaths of all the movie palaces downtown.

Besides, we are talking about Westland, and in the immortal words of Lorren Estalman, "Westland is a working man's town, if nothing else, and it is nothing else indeed".

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Not to rain on any of the Westland supporter's here, but I have little sympathy for movie theaters that close in the burbs, as they helped to cause the deaths of all the movie palaces downtown.

Besides, we are talking about Westland, and in the immortal words of Lorren Estalman, "Westland is a working man's town, if nothing else, and it is nothing else indeed".

Not really true about suburban theaters. The theater industry threw their arms up when television appeared. The fact that sometime in the late sixties movies were no longer exclusive to the downtown theaters coupled with increasing crime in the city brought the downfall as much as anything.

So sad how small minded some of you are. Thankfully there are some creative young people in westland trying to save the quo vadis.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbad89 View Post
    I live in Westland, and I know the Quo Vadis well. I must have drove past it 20 times or so this past month and I didn't even notice they tore down the marquees.
    Do you remember Sparky's, the Chuckie Cheese / Major Magic type place out in those parts? Took the family there a couple times back in the mid-90s. Fun place. Now there's one building I wouldn't want to see torn down.

To whom it may concern, I am one of the youth who is currently attempting to save the theater. First, I'd like to thank everyone in this forum who has supported us and even those who criticize us, for without criticism, there is no learning. Second, I'd like to say that our attempt to save the theater is on going. We continue to listen, research, and learn. I thank those of you who say we are able to see it's potential and beauty. It is true, the Quo Vadis is a beautiful place. It is one of a kind. There is no other building like it. The beautiful tiles with different hues of blue and gold imported from Italy and hand laid within a week. The beautiful golden trim that makes it stand out among the many plain white big box retailers, condos, and drug stores. Along with this very unique architecture, it was also built by the one and only Minoru Yamasaki. All of you I'm sure know who he is and what he has done. If that in of itself doesn't make it historically or culturally significant, then what about all the precious childhood memories that everyone in Westland has? Whether you love this place or hate it, I'm sure everyone wants what is best for Westland. Would it really be better to destroy this unique theater, which gives Westland some identity aside from looking like every other city, in order to put up a fitness center, more drug stores or even condos? Westland has enough of these. What Westland lacks is some cinematic entertainment. All Westland residents travel to neighboring cities to watch their movies. This is costing Westland a lot of revenue. Even if a movie theater proves to be economically unviable for this property, adaptive reuse is always a great alternative. Some people say that the Quo Vadis is in too bad of a condition to restore. Over the summer, Don and myself have been volunteering to help restore the historic Michigan Central Station in Detroit. If this project is able to be restored after decades of abandonment and vandalism, the Quo Vadis would be relatively simple. With a good work ethic, a postive attitude, and some elbow grease, a lot can be accomplished on this property and could turn this "eye sore", as some of you call it, into a beautiful oasis of long term business.

All very interesting, but I have to agree that including the term "Wasteland" was pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggytoast View Post
    To whom it may concern, I am one of the youth who is currently attempting to save the theater. First, I'd like to thank everyone in this forum who has supported us and even those who criticize us, for without criticism, there is no learning. Second, I'd like to say that our attempt to save the theater is on going. We continue to listen, research, and learn. I thank those of you who say we are able to see it's potential and beauty. It is true, the Quo Vadis is a beautiful place. It is one of a kind. There is no other building like it. The beautiful tiles with different hues of blue and gold imported from Italy and hand laid within a week. The beautiful golden trim that makes it stand out among the many plain white big box retailers, condos, and drug stores. Along with this very unique architecture, it was also built by the one and only Minoru Yamasaki. All of you I'm sure know who he is and what he has done. If that in of itself doesn't make it historically or culturally significant, then what about all the precious childhood memories that everyone in Westland has? Whether you love this place or hate it, I'm sure everyone wants what is best for Westland. Would it really be better to destroy this unique theater, which gives Westland some identity aside from looking like every other city, in order to put up a fitness center, more drug stores or even condos? Westland has enough of these. What Westland lacks is some cinematic entertainment. All Westland residents travel to neighboring cities to watch their movies. This is costing Westland a lot of revenue. Even if a movie theater proves to be economically unviable for this property, adaptive reuse is always a great alternative. Some people say that the Quo Vadis is in too bad of a condition to restore. Over the summer, Don and myself have been volunteering to help restore the historic Michigan Central Station in Detroit. If this project is able to be restored after decades of abandonment and vandalism, the Quo Vadis would be relatively simple. With a good work ethic, a postive attitude, and some elbow grease, a lot can be accomplished on this property and could turn this "eye sore", as some of you call it, into a beautiful oasis of long term business.
    That is nice to hear, and I am glad that you have plans. Just keep in mind ANY restoration takes funding, especially ones like MCS which take MASSIVE funding. Sure one can clean up debris and paint over graffiti and go home and feel like they've accomplished a lot. But you need to keep in mind when buildings are once exposed to the environment [[broken windows), vandals and metal thieves, it is very difficult to restore without massive funding. All the work you would [[have) do[[ne) would be futile.

I drive by the Quo Davis quite often. It is an eyesore because of all the exterior refinements it needs. The building needs immediate attention, and a long term high cost restoration plan that may or may not would not be viable, especially in this economy. The Quo Davis's layout makes it very difficult to change the use of the building into something else besides a theater, and it has been proven that it is not viable as a theater.

You might have fond memories of the building and sentimental value, but the building has no historic value. Yes it may be a Yamasaki design, but it in reality is just another building built in the micro-boom of Westland. Many residents could probably remember what was there before the Quo Davis was built. Why would one keep an old non-profitable movie theater that would only serve hundreds, when something else that could be built would serve thousands?

-Tahleel

The Birmingham Historical Museum just opened a new exhibit "Serenity & Delight: The Architecture of Minoru Yamasaki." We walked through it today and found it to be a nice presentation of Yamasaki's local, national, and international work. The exhibit runs through October 24.

The Birmingham Historical Museum & Park is open for public tours Wednesday-Saturday from 1-4pm. Admission is $2 for adults and $1 for seniors, students and Birmingham Historical members. For more information, call 248-530-1928 or email museum@ci.birmingham.mi.us. The museum is located at 556 W. Maple, Birmingham, MI at the intersection of Maple Rd and Southfield.

Yamasaki's intriguing architecture
    http://www.hometownlife.com/article/...g+architecture

Gone but not forgotten
    New exhibit brings Twin Towers’ architect to life
    http://www.candgnews.com/Homepage-Ar...rs-exhibit.asp

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tahleel View Post
    That is nice to hear, and I am glad that you have plans. Just keep in mind ANY restoration takes funding, especially ones like MCS which take MASSIVE funding. Sure one can clean up debris and paint over graffiti and go home and feel like they've accomplished a lot. But you need to keep in mind when buildings are once exposed to the environment [[broken windows), vandals and metal thieves, it is very difficult to restore without massive funding. All the work you would [[have) do[[ne) would be futile.

I drive by the Quo Davis quite often. It is an eyesore because of all the exterior refinements it needs. The building needs immediate attention, and a long term high cost restoration plan that may or may not would not be viable, especially in this economy. The Quo Davis's layout makes it very difficult to change the use of the building into something else besides a theater, and it has been proven that it is not viable as a theater.

You might have fond memories of the building and sentimental value, but the building has no historic value. Yes it may be a Yamasaki design, but it in reality is just another building built in the micro-boom of Westland. Many residents could probably remember what was there before the Quo Davis was built. Why would one keep an old non-profitable movie theater that would only serve hundreds, when something else that could be built would serve thousands?

-Tahleel
    Ignore this. It is nothing other then an opinion. Good luck in keeping this piece of mid century architecture alive

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    Ignore this. It is nothing other then an opinion. Good luck in keeping this piece of mid century architecture alive
    Fact: The Quo Davis was closed due to the fact that a movie theater did not produce the revenues to continue business.

Fact: Showcase Cinema on Wayne, just south of Quo Davis, was closed as a movie theater did not produce the revenues to continue business. This theater is both newer and bigger than the Quo Davis.

Fact: It is considered an "eye sore" as there are several ordinances and complaints against the building.

Conclusion:
    Two of the same businesses in the same area, failing, proves that the business model of a movie theater in the area is NOT VIABLE. Other businesses that services a larger portion of the community would be a better option, than a business that only serves a minority. If business was booming, it would still be open, right? It is an eyesore that needs immediate attention. Whether from a wrecking ball, or from a renovation crew. I do know one is a lot more costly than the other.

At the end, its ultimately the business owner's decision, not yours. It's their property, not yours. They would be willing to sell it to you if you would like. Why don't you try having a bunch of car washes or bake sales? You might be able to come up with the $5 million to go ahead and buy it and save it yourself.

-Tahleel

Fact: The Quo Davis was closed due to the fact that a movie theater did not produce the revenues to continue business.

Fact: Showcase Cinema on Wayne, just south of Quo Davis, was closed as a movie theater did not produce the revenues to continue business. This theater is both newer and bigger than the Quo Davis.

Fact: It is considered an "eye sore" as there are several ordinances and complaints against the building.

Conclusion:
    Two of the same businesses in the same area, failing, proves that the business model of a movie theater in the area is NOT VIABLE. Other businesses that services a larger portion of the community would be a better option, than a business that only serves a minority. If business was booming, it would still be open, right? It is an eyesore that needs immediate attention. Whether from a wrecking ball, or from a renovation crew. I do know one is a lot more costly than the other.

At the end, its ultimately the business owner's decision, not yours. It's their property, not yours. They would be willing to sell it to you if you would like. Why don't you try having a bunch of car washes or bake sales? You might be able to come up with the $5 million to go ahead and buy it and save it yourself.

-Tahleel

You may want to check your facts. The Quo Vadis [[Yes, the Quo Vadis, not the Quo Davis) was purchased by National Amusements in 1986. In 1989, the Showcase Cinema was built not even a mile down the road, also owned by National Amusements. They closed the Quo Vadis in 2002 most likely to increase revenue towards the Showcase. The Showcase closed in early 2008 because National Amusements threw a hissy fit when Westland wouldn't approve of a liquor liscence for the Showcase [[which the Quo Vadis had by the way). People calling it an eye sore is merely an opinion. In my opinion, it is a very beautiful place with much room for improvement.

With your facts corrected, I must say you are right about the money. It all comes down to "the almighty dollar". I find it funny you decide to make fun of us because of our age. Having car washes or bake sales to raise $5 million. That wasn't quite what we had in mind. We were thinking more like a loan possibly, or a collaboration between the the Mayor and the people. But at least we are standing up for what we believe in. Please tell me what you were doing at ages 15-17.

You may want to check your facts. The Quo Vadis [[Yes, the Quo Vadis, not the Quo Davis) was purchased by National Amusements in 1986. In 1989, the Showcase Cinema was built not even a mile down the road, also owned by National Amusements.
    I'm sorry, I didn't know this was a spelling test. I didn't do my homework. Can I still pass?

They closed the Quo Vadis in 2002 most likely to increase revenue towards the Showcase.
    They closed a profitable entity to redirect business to another entity? Right. No one in their right mind would do that. They would capitalize on the fact that they would control a large share of the entertainment in the area, and use that to their advantage. The Quo Vadis was obviously NOT PROFITABLE hence why it was ultimately closed.

The Showcase closed in early 2008 because National Amusements threw a hissy fit when Westland wouldn't approve of a liquor liscence for the Showcase [[which the Quo Vadis had by the way).
    Now you're saying the only reason why they closed was because they couldn't get a liquor license? I don't think lack of a liquor license was because it was closed. How about the recession that closed many other businesses around it?

People calling it an eye sore is merely an opinion. In my opinion, it is a very beautiful place with much room for improvement.
    You can call it whatever you want. There are rules and ordinances for a reason. The Quo Vadis has several violations that the owner's do not care to fix up. Until these violations are corrected, it is considered nuisance or dare I say? Blight.

With your facts corrected, I must say you are right about the money. It all comes down to "the almighty dollar". I find it funny you decide to make fun of us because of our age. Having car washes or bake sales to raise $5 million. That wasn't quite what we had in mind. We were thinking more like a loan possibly, or a collaboration between the the Mayor and the people. But at least we are standing up for what we believe in.
    Do you possibly think the City of Westland has enough money in the budget where they can give a bunch of kids $5 million to rebuild an old movie theater?

Any financial institution would ask: What experiance do you have in rebuilding/remodeling? Do you have any experiance in managing a movie theater? Do you have any collateral that you can put up in case you defaulted on your loan? Do you have a job or means to pay the difference between said collateral and loan amount if you were to default? You would probably say NO to all of these. Do you even have a business plan? A project cash flow analysis? An estimated cost of bring it back to code?

These are reasons why you WILL be turned down for any loan. I'm sorry, banks do not lend out money to speculative projects.

Please tell me what you were doing at ages 15-17.
    When I was that age, I was conducting research for the University of Michigan School of Dentistry as well as other jobs that I cannot remember at this time. I was working to help my parents and build my personal wealth. I was also preparing myself for college. I was not chasing behind some fruitless dream. Maybe you should do the same.

-Tahleel

ziggyselbin Guest

I'm sorry, I didn't know this was a spelling test. I didn't do my homework. Can I still pass?

They closed a profitable entity to redirect business to another entity? Right. No one in their right mind would do that. They would capitalize on the fact that they would control a large share of the entertainment in the area, and use that to their advantage. The Quo Vadis was obviously NOT PROFITABLE hence why it was ultimately closed.

Now you're saying the only reason why they closed was because they couldn't get a liquor license? I don't think lack of a liquor license was because it was closed. How about the recession that closed many other businesses around it?

You can call it whatever you want. There are rules and ordinances for a reason. The Quo Vadis has several violations that the owner's do not care to fix up. Until these violations are corrected, it is considered nuisance or dare I say? Blight.

Do you possibly think the City of Westland has enough money in the budget where they can give a bunch of kids $5 million to rebuild an old movie theater?

Any financial institution would ask: What experiance do you have in rebuilding/remodeling? Do you have any experiance in managing a movie theater? Do you have any collateral that you can put up in case you defaulted on your loan? Do you have a job or means to pay the difference between said collateral and loan amount if you were to default? You would probably say NO to all of these. Do you even have a business plan? A project cash flow analysis? An estimated cost of bring it back to code?

These are reasons why you WILL be turned down for any loan. I'm sorry, banks do not lend out money to speculative projects.

When I was that age, I was conducting research for the University of Michigan School of Dentistry as well as other jobs that I cannot remember at this time. I was working to help my parents and build my personal wealth. I was also preparing myself for college. I was not chasing behind some fruitless dream. Maybe you should do the same.

-Tahleel
    Gee whiz since you have amassed so much personal wealth you have had [[obviously) time to study the Monica Conyers method of interacting with young people.

I find it hard to believe you were doing research at UM dental school at sixteen or seventeen.

Gee whiz since you have amassed so much personal wealth you have had [[obviously) time to study the Monica Conyers method of interacting with young people.
    I stated that when a bank sees a bunch of kids without a business plan, no projections, no collateral, no means of paying back a loan if defaulted, no experience in the field, nothing, they would of course turn down a loan. This is not just for kids, but for anyone.

I find it hard to believe you were doing research at UM dental school at sixteen or seventeen.
    Its called an internship. You do get those when you do well in school and apply yourself to a worthwhile goal. Maybe you should try the same.

-Tahleel
    Last edited by tahleel; August-29-09 at 09:44 PM.

Quote: "They closed the Quo Vadis in 2002 most likely to increase revenue towards the Showcase."

If memory serves me correct they were showing dollar movies there in the late 90's. Cable and VCR/DVD players pretty much killed the neighborhood theater business. I respect everyone's appreciation of the significance of this structure and for some it holds a rich past. The reality is it's over. Trying to maintain something like this as some sort of memento, is just silly. I agree with Tahleel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast