Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

In the mean time, I'm using foul language as I drive over the pot hole filled streets of SE Michigan. This is why our state is a mess, no one in the state legislature taking on the real issues in this state.

Oh, for Christ sake, even the US doesn't have an "official language"; why do we need one?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Oh, for Christ sake, even the US doesn't have an "official language"; why do we need one?
    So the right-wing can begin their putsch so this nation iz one nation under ze one flag with one people speaking one language UND NOONE ELSE!

And the left says,trust us we are the government,everything is free,do not worry about a job we will take care of you,all you need to do in return for a lifetime of free servitude is throw us the vote.

Until everybody else's money runs out ,then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    And the left says,trust us we are the government,everything is free,do not worry about a job we will take care of you,all you need to do in return for a lifetime of free servitude is throw us the vote.

Until everybody else's money runs out ,then what?
    Riiiiiiiiight. I remember the days of free stuff and servitude from 2009-2011. Isn't that when "we" had "complete control" of everything? Right?

I make a joke about a left wing talking point, you actually believe it!

When was the Left in control of the U.S.? I must have missed this rumored era of Free Servitude.

Lol,little things like civic duties and responsibilities,we do what we can,it's when people stop caring that it becomes game over in this country.

We are beholden to the next generation to preserve what we enjoy today.

Left or right,most Americans want what is best for their families,community and country,the key is in the middle somewhere without the influence of the radical left or radical right.

Yes, build that Chump wall.

Just build it tall enough that it stands proud, low enough that you can rent 4 sheds at 600$ a pop to the tired, the poor, the huddled masses. That's the community spirit Richard.

^ what was your response to AirBNB in Detroit ?

I am just a poor broke guy trying to make ends meet and filling a need and trying to pay the mortgage.

But that is typical,dump 250,000 people into a community with no jobs,and figure out where they are going to sleep later.

I just figured out instead of fighting the liberals it is easier to let them do what they are going to do and then figure out how to profit from their mistakes,that is what happens when things are orchestrated without a plan and with feelings over common sense.

If you need a break from the cold Candian weather can I interest you in a nice sunny Florida break?

I have a nice 6x8 shed for $600 a week,but Sense you speak English you can negotiate me down to $500 a week.Meals are not included but there is a Spanish supermarket and a Mc Donald's within walking distance.

The Spanish supermarket you will have to point to the pictures of what you want.The Mc Donald's I can help you with a little because I only know Uno,dos,tres so at least you can order from meals 1,2,3 sorry after that you are in your own.

The downside is,because you do not like guns,if an alligator decides to try and snuggle up with you I will not be able to help you,just remember to zig zag while you are running away and please do not scream,it scares the neighbors.

Or if you are feeling frisky and are not afraid to run into the jaws of danger ,and have a really big knife,you can kill it,and we can fire up the burn barrel and cook it up,fresh gator is tasty,a little bit of rice or grits and you would have vittles for a week.

I would be happy to take your reservation if you are interested,no PayPal,USD only.
    Last edited by Richard; February-28-18 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Is this a problem in Michigan?
    No.

Not any more than letting this law pass would be a problem.

Doesn't seem to me it matters to anyone except those who live to argue.

I don't think we need it, but I also don't see the harm -- and I don't feel the need to read intentions into advocates and opponents.

^ what was your response to AirBNB in Detroit ?

I am just a poor broke guy trying to make ends meet and filling a need and trying to pay the mortgage.

But that is typical,dump 250,000 people into a community with no jobs,and figure out where they are going to sleep later.

I just figured out instead of fighting the liberals it is easier to let them do what they are going to do and then figure out how to profit from their mistakes,that is what happens when things are orchestrated without a plan and with feelings over common sense.

If you need a break from the cold Candian weather can I interest you in a nice sunny Florida break?

I have a nice 6x8 shed for $600 a week,but Sense you speak English you can negotiate me down to $500 a week.Meals are not included but there is a Spanish supermarket and a Mc Donald's within walking distance.

The Spanish supermarket you will have to point to the pictures of what you want.The Mc Donald's I can help you with a little because I only know Uno,dos,tres so at least you can order from meals 1,2,3 sorry after that you are in your own.

The downside is,because you do not like guns,if an alligator decides to try and snuggle up with you I will not be able to help you,just remember to zig zag while you are running away and please do not scream,it scares the neighbors.

Or if you are feeling frisky and are not afraid to run into the jaws of danger ,and have a really big knife,you can kill it,and we can fire up the burn barrel and cook it up,fresh gator is tasty,a little bit of rice or grits and you would have vittles for a week.

I would be happy to take your reservation if you are interested,no PayPal,USD only.
    Thank you kindly Richard! That's a long way to go for McDonald's. But tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    No.

Not any more than letting this law pass would be a problem.

Doesn't seem to me it matters to anyone except those who live to argue.

I don't think we need it, but I also don't see the harm -- and I don't feel the need to read intentions into advocates and opponents.
    The harm is that it is basically a racist and anti-immigrant policy. It means that all official documents would be written in only English and any one with ESL will be hard put to understand things when they try to read regulations on, say, getting a drivers license or voters reg card. Most immigrants assimilate within a generation, so this largely punishes new immigrants or older people who never learned to read and write English. In our state this is mainly pointed at those of Middle Eastern or Spanish descent. We don't need it; it's a sop to those who want Murica to be Murican.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Thank you kindly Richard! That's a long way to go for McDonald's. But tempting.
    It is a little easier if you find something closer to downtown Orlando,they have mass transit,trains and such,unfortunately without a common language it is hard to get people into mass transit proposals even though it would benefit them the most.

The ones that learned the language are doing much better economically so they choose to drive everywhere and really have no interest in mass transit.

Oddly enough the first thing that most Asian immigrants do is learn multiple languages in addition to English,most of them are pretty successful and when you travel overseas it seems like you can always find somebody that speaks English,but yet here we are in a country that common senses dictates that English is the common language being called racist and anti immigration to ask others to have some consideration and show some respect while in the assimilation process.

But maybe that is why we are where we are at today,consideration and respect for others are considered foreign.
    Last edited by Richard; March-01-18 at 09:35 AM.

Midterm elections are in August and a divisive bill needs to be on the ballot to bring out conservative vote.

But maybe that is why we are where we are at today,consideration and respect for others are considered foreign.
    Oh, the irony of this statement. Trump partisans spreading racist lies in an attempt to demonize immigrants, now asking for "consideration and respect".

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    What it does, in practical terms, is to tell immigrants, we don't like you and we don't want you here. Immigrants tend to be more self-reliant [[that is to say, less government-dependent) than people born here and more likely to start their own businesses. So Michigan can expect less of that based on the message we are sending.
    Couldn't agree more. It's just useless legislation to throw a bone to the xenophobes.

Default "di","bi"& babel

di- A prefix that means "two," "twice," or "double."
    di- word-forming element meaning "apart, asunder,"
    di," which means "two" or "split."
    bi means two
    bi-, derived from Latin, and its Greek variant di- both mean “two.”

Leave it to Democrats to want to divide and bisect America. To do so requires library budgets duplicate books instead of having more titles, courts and other government agencies print everything in two languages and hire translators at taxpayer expense, more signage, and more duplication in printing. Bi-lingualism often discriminates against immigrants, e.g Hmong or Indians, who speak a third language. "Di" and "bi" are different than "multi" and in multi-cultural or multi-lingual. We should congratulate and encourage immigrant groups who get on board instead of politically pandering to the largest immigrant group.

The article only claimed this legislation would apply to government services. Businesses are still free to use as much non-English signage and hire as many non-English speakers as they choose.

"Babel" from the Hebrew word balal, meaning to jumble or to confuse. To the extent we ever do achieve a divided bi-lingual culture, we are sure to have the same policy and turf wars as Canada and Belgium. It seems a waste of energy and cause of unnecessary divisiveness. Canada and Belgium both had historical reasons for their situations. Michigan does not. If California or New Mexico want to require bi-lingual legislation, that is their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    The harm is that it is basically a racist and anti-immigrant policy. It means that all official documents would be written in only English and any one with ESL will be hard put to understand things when they try to read regulations on, say, getting a drivers license or voters reg card. Most immigrants assimilate within a generation, so this largely punishes new immigrants or older people who never learned to read and write English. In our state this is mainly pointed at those of Middle Eastern or Spanish descent. We don't need it; it's a sop to those who want Murica to be Murican.
    I try not to think bad things about people. Calling people racists is divisive. [[Although I'm sure it does apply to some calling for this bill.)

If this bill prevents the state from producing materials to help its citizens in other languages, I then would be against it as well. However as far as I know it doesn't prevent the use of other languages -- but does require its use in official paperwork. Yes, that's a burden to non-English speakers. My parents started life as non-English speakers -- as their parents were non-English speakers. They sent their kids to school to learn English -- and they did. They made it through the gauntlet of English-only documents. They got help from friends, relatives, and the community. That's a fine way to help someone learn and use English. My grandparents eventually were able to communicate in English, although not well. They bought land. They built a home. And in the end the raised kids fluent in English who became Engineers, Architects and professionals.

I just don't see that requiring English use in official communication is bad public policy. I like seeing the community work through issues -- its good for everyone.

Yes, there are racists who advocate for this -- but is that reason to oppose -- when there are good public policy reasons to favor?

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Leave it to Democrats to want to divide and bisect America.

Yes, silly me; it's obviously Democrats fault that Trump and his cultists love to trash the handicapped, minorities, immigrants, women, foreigners, and basically anyone who can speak in intelligible English.

"Babel" from the Hebrew word balal, meaning to jumble or to confuse. To the extent we ever do achieve a divided bi-lingual culture, we are sure to have the same policy and turf wars as Canada and Belgium.

What the hell are you talking about? How is the U.S. remotely like Belgium and Canada?

We have a President who can't even speak intelligible English; don't think you have to worry too much about Americans speaking foreign languages with any competency.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Yes, silly me; it's obviously Democrats fault that Trump and his cultists love to trash the handicapped, minorities, immigrants, women, foreigners, and basically anyone who can speak in intelligible English.

What the hell are you talking about? How is the U.S. remotely like Belgium and Canada?

We have a President who can't even speak intelligible English; don't think you have to worry too much about Americans speaking foreign languages with any competency.
    Trump wasn't mentioned in this article. Nor were women or the handicapped. The article is about the Michigan house making English the official language of State government. Try to follow along. I didn't say the U.S. was like Canada and Belgium. I said the opposite; that the U.S. did not have similar historical reason for spending a lot of taxpayer money for identity politics at the expense of the majority including Hmong, East Indians, Nigerians and every other non-Spanish speaking group that comes here. Because of that, there is no good reason to bring linguistic division and babel upon ourselves. For the record, my father and all four grandparents showed up in Canada and the US not knowing any English or French. They learned - as do other immigrants including most Hispanics.

Democrats can't trust Americans to get elected. China's wall worked fairly well until corrupt Chinese officials took bribes to allow the Mongol army through its gates. Democrats need votes and can't rely on Americans so they tend to prioritize the wants and need of foreign interests and those who profit from them. As soon as another Bush or Obama get elected, they'll open the gates of Trump's wall. That why Trump's wall won't work.

“The fight to protect Dreamers is not only a moral imperative, it is also a critical component of the Democratic Party’s future electoral success,” -
    Jennifer Palmieri, Hillary Clinton’s former top aide

Since you brought up Trump: Trump not only agreed to Democratic demands that Dreamers stay, he doubled the number that could stay. Then we find out that Democrats wanted to keep the gates wide open. Bi-lingual government expenses and a divided country are necessary ingredients for the Democratic Party's future electoral success.

Trump wasn't mentioned in this article. Nor were women or the handicapped. The article is about the Michigan house making English the official language of State government. Try to follow along. I didn't say the U.S. was like Canada and Belgium. I said the opposite; that the U.S. did not have similar historical reason for spending a lot of taxpayer money for identity politics at the expense of the majority including Hmong, East Indians, Nigerians and every other non-Spanish speaking group that comes here. Because of that, there is no good reason to bring linguistic division and babel upon ourselves. For the record, my father and all four grandparents showed up in Canada and the US not knowing any English or French. They learned - as do other immigrants including most Hispanics.

Democrats can't trust Americans to get elected. China's wall worked fairly well until corrupt Chinese officials took bribes to allow the Mongol army through its gates. Democrats need votes and can't rely on Americans so they tend to prioritize the wants and need of foreign interests and those who profit from them. As soon as another Bush or Obama get elected, they'll open the gates of Trump's wall. That why Trump's wall won't work.

“The fight to protect Dreamers is not only a moral imperative, it is also a critical component of the Democratic Party’s future electoral success,” -
    Jennifer Palmieri, Hillary Clinton’s former top aide

Since you brought up Trump: Trump not only agreed to Democratic demands that Dreamers stay, he doubled the number that could stay. Then we find out that Democrats wanted to keep the gates wide open. Bi-lingual government expenses and a divided country are necessary ingredients for the Democratic Party's future electoral success.

Bravo.....

أنا آسف، يمكنك تكرار ذلك باللغة الإنجليزية حتى أتمكن من فهم ذلك؟

لأنه بدون لغة مشتركة كم من الوقت سيستمر هذا الموقع؟

Trump wasn't mentioned in this article. Nor were women or the handicapped. The article is about the Michigan house making English the official language of State government.
    Sorry, you can't run away from Trump. The same deplorables who elected Trump and are wrecking the country want to wreck the state.

Try to follow along. I didn't say the U.S. was like Canada and Belgium. I said the opposite; that the U.S. did not have similar historical reason for spending a lot of taxpayer money for identity politics at the expense of the majority
    This is all delusional nonsense. The only people "wasting money for identity politics" are those seeking to pass this bill, in an attempt to demonize foreigners and educated folks.

Democrats can't trust Americans to get elected.
    Newsflash: "Americans" aren't only the uneducated or racist folks. You don't lose your citizenship if you can count to 10 or treat others with respect. People who speak other languages are Americans too. I speak three languages and last I checked am an American citizen.

Democrats need votes and can't rely on Americans so they tend to prioritize the wants and need of foreign interests and those who profit from them.
    Um, you realize that Trump, a guy who married an illegal, is under criminal investigation for colluding with a hostile foreign nation, right? How is colluding with Russia to throw U.S. elections "prioritizing the interests of Americans"?

Well, duh. Republicans abandoned immigrants when they went from Reaganism to Trumpism. Why would an immigrant vote for people who hate them, who call them "murderers and rapists", who call their women "Miss Housekeeping", who call their former nations "s---hole countries"?

Since you brought up Trump: Trump not only agreed to Democratic demands that Dreamers stay, he doubled the number that could stay.

This is, of course, a lie. Trump has threatened and demonized the Dreamers at every turn, and has made their lives a living hell.

Then we find out that Democrats wanted to keep the gates wide open. Bi-lingual government expenses and a divided country are necessary ingredients for the Democratic Party's future electoral success.
    Obviously another lie. The U.S. has the toughest immigration standards of any first world nation. Your absurd parroting of Russian bot nonsense is pretty sad stuff.

أنا آسف، يمكنك تكرار ذلك باللغة الإنجليزية حتى أتمكن من فهم ذلك؟

لأنه بدون لغة مشتركة كم من الوقت سيستمر هذا الموقع؟
    The Russian bots are hard at work on this thread. Gotta rile up the most ignorant, fact-averse Americans.

Je voudrais habiter dans un nation ouvert, multiculturel, et plein de vie avec anglais comme une langue commune mais toutes les langues qui comprise les groupes immigres parle par eux, si ils souhaitent. Je ne suis pas peur des langues different ni peur des mes impots etre utilitse pour des documents dans langues important pour les immigrants. Peux-tu lire mon francais mal? Non? Je m'en fous!

Comme je lis cet anti-bi ou multilinguisme, c'est plutot stupefiante.

Do we? I would think Japan would be way up there - with little apology, parsing -- preamble or ambling in between!

There must be a definitive list of who has the toughest out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The U.S. has the toughest immigration standards of any first world nation. Your absurd parroting of Russian bot nonsense is pretty sad stuff.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-06-18 at 12:43 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast