Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Cities and towns should and do adopt zoning codes/ building standards, etc. for new buildings [[as well as for rehabs). Those rules specify everything from size to materials to street setbacks. They often include things like mandates for min/max # of residences, a certain amount of retail, etc. They also include what exceptions can be granted under the rules, and what cannot. Then when a building plan comes along- that fits the existing guidelines- a bunch of jerks, uh I mean concerned citizens, find their way to the hearings and scream how its awful and should never be allowed. The problem I have is: if you favor X,Y,Z conditions for building then enact it in the building code. Otherwise it is not fair. Builders are obligated to plan and build under existing code, not the code that some NIMBY types would like to enact ex-post-facto to block your monstrosity of a building.

As for this building itself, it's okay by me. I don't love it or hate it. And I spend little time in Ann Arbor anyway, so I don't care. I will say that I would never vote to change a plan because it offends someone's sensibilities.

Oh, and all this makes me wonder with Ann Arbor being an-ultra Leftist town: when did the Left become so reactionary and irritable? They used to pride themselves on shaking things up, being different, doing non-conformist things. Along comes a non-conformist building plan and BAM! they're triggered.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; October-19-17 at 12:54 AM.