Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by MicrosoftFan View Post
    I think Amazon wants to design its own buildings and or campus.
    Agree and why not? Because no city anywhere in the world has so many available downtown blocks like Detroit has. The sky is literally the only limit.

To be clear, the point isn't that Toronto/Canada is better.

Nor is that I think Toronto will get it.......I'm leaning against if nothing else for sheer odds.

I'd even be happy to point out Toronto's real shortcomings [[leans expensive on real estate, pretty severe congestion)

That said, I want to correct the knocks that aren't factual.

Below suggests the main reason they're looking for a new HQ is because Seattle's risk of experiencing an earthquake.

Let's recall that Detroit is the safest city in the US from Natural Disasters...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...really-big-one

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Below suggests the main reason they're looking for a new HQ is because Seattle's risk of experiencing an earthquake.

Let's recall that Detroit is the safest city in the US from Natural Disasters...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...really-big-one
    Yes, I alluded to this probably being their reason for seeking an HQ2 in one of my earlier responses. This is why other disaster prone coastal cities will probably not be considered. Even NYC would probably lose points because of susceptibility to rising sea levels.

313wx,

Yes but I am betting there are a whole lot more people wishing they had it. If you count the substantial percentage of families wishing the lottery doesn't pick them for a disastrous health situation, the lesson for the future is obvious. You know, in Canada as elsewhere, Insurance companies are backing the government schemes. The private sector is managing in large measure the actuarial operations and redistribution of sums. We also have private plans for dental and optical that are serviced outside the social net. I think quite frankly that those who resist the progressive measures that the richest country on earth can easily provide are paying lip service to people who you rightly say don't worry much about these costs. On the other hand, in Canada, it is considered necessary even by the extremely well off to spread the wealth of the land. It is far from perfect, but it is a base that remains, as always perfectible.

With respect to Atlanta, below has some interesting information. Apparently, there's a "mystery company" that will bring "thousands of high-paying jobs" whose working with a developer to build 500K sq. ft. of office space.

http://news.wabe.org/post/atlanta-s-...ffice-prospect

This really lays bare why Detroit would not otherwise be a no-brainer for this site right now.

On the low-cost end, that leaves Atlanta, Baltimore, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, and St. Louis. Houston has its own issues to deal with right now. Detroit has no mass transit system to speak of; Charlotte isn’t far ahead and, further, lacks a strong university system. There are political risks, too: Detroit gives Amazon the potential to play savior but comes with sky-high property taxes, abysmal public schools, and a dysfunctional regional government. Charlotte is at the mercy of the reactionary North Carolina Legislature.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/metropolis/2017/09/your_city_will_lose_the_contest_for_amazon_s_new_h q.html

If it is a race between Detroit and Charlotte then I think Detroit would win. Amazon is just too big for Charlotte right now. If it's a race between Detroit and Philadelphia... That would really depend on what they value more. Philly would probably be the safer choice, but Detroit would be the most sentimental. If Shinola can build a globally recognized brand from scratch off of nostalgia about Detroit, imagine what the deep pockets of Amazon could do? The city will absolutely need to play up the sentimental factor in whatever proposal they create.

A point was also brought up that Amazon's looking for a place with "direct flights to DC and NYC."

Thus, that would eliminate those two cities from consideration IMO...

EDIT: They also mentioned that direct flights to Seattle and San Francisco were critical. Seattle's airport is a Delta hub, so the following cities would have a ton of direct flights to/from Seattle:

- Detroit

- Minneapolis

- Cincinnati

- Atlanta

- Salt Lake City

Also, I think United Airlines just launch direct flights from SFO to DTW.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-10-17 at 01:10 PM.

A point was also brought up that Amazon's looking for a place with "direct flights to DC and NYC."

Thus, that would eliminate those two cities from consideration IMO...

EDIT: They also mentioned that direct flights to Seattle and San Francisco were critical. Seattle's airport is a Delta hub, so the following cities would have a ton of direct flights to/from Seattle:

- Detroit

- Minneapolis

- Cincinnati

- Atlanta

- Salt Lake City

Also, I think United Airlines just launch direct flights from SFO to DTW.
    Delta has a daily flight from DTW to SFO [[I flew it last week). It's probably more important that there be a major airline hub nearby, so that would knock Cincinnati and SLC out of the running.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Delta has a daily flight from DTW to SFO [[I flew it last week). It's probably more important that there be a major airline hub nearby, so that would knock Cincinnati and SLC out of the running.
    Cincinnati and SLC still have hub status, albeit the operations have been significantly reduced since the NWA merger.

EDIT: Boston is also a Delta hub, but in the same boat as Cincinnati and Salt Lake City.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-10-17 at 02:48 PM.

Cincinnati and SLC still have hub status, albeit the operations have been significantly reduced since the NWA merger.

EDIT: Boston is also a Delta hub, but in the same boat as Cincinnati and Salt Lake City.
    Logan is a huge airport with direct flights to all locations that Amazon would require. But those flight just may not be on Delta, since Logan isn't a major Delta hub. It probably has fewer Delta flights than Cincinnati.

Logan is a focus for the Delta Shuttle which serves Boston/NYC/DC/Chicago, and also a couple of international routes to Europe [[I think to just Heathrow, Amsterdam, and Charles de Gaulle). Those international routes are just to fill the gaps that JetBlue does not cover due to its domestic focus. JetBlue is the airline with the most flights from Logan.
    Last edited by iheartthed; September-10-17 at 03:09 PM.

From what I'm hearing, Amazon will make a decision in January 2018.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we get both a MLS Franchise and the Amazon HQ within a few weeks time?

The Washington Post conducted an analysis of the potential contenders and we made the Top 12 [[Chicago did not)...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6ecd31fe9d9f

Not sure if it has already been mentioned but doesn't Amazon already have a presence in Detroit?

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...tech/72797396/

Amazon currently leases space on one floor in the 150 W. Jefferson office tower downtown where about 100 employees work on software development, engineering and advertising sales. Amazon will be expanding that space to multiple floors in early 2016 to create its tech hub but has not released an estimate on how many more employees it will hire there.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Not sure if it has already been mentioned but doesn't Amazon already have a presence in Detroit?

Amazon has "a presence" in several cities.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post

Don't forget to add the two fulfilment centers under construction: one in Livonia in a million sq. ft warehouse that will employ 1,000 almost completed, and the other in Romulus that will employ 1,600. They are apparently supposed to be the new regional distribution centers for the entire mid-west.
    Last edited by davewindsor; September-10-17 at 06:05 PM.

The Washington Post conducted an analysis of the potential contenders and we made the Top 12 [[Chicago did not)...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6ecd31fe9d9f
    Chicago mayor has also been in meetings with Bezos for the past two months prior to this anouncement discussing a 2nd hq. What Chicago ONLY lacks is a stable govt budget and isn't the cheapest place to do business, but cheaper than the coasts for them and their employees.

Amazon could literally open in months in Chicago. There's so much modern office space coming online next to major rail stations. If the city was willing to throw away a ton of money on the Olympics, I'm sure they'll dig the debt hole deeper for a trophy hq and generous subsidies. Also, any necessary infrastructure costs can just be passed onto the developers. City: "Hey we need $200 million for a new subway station for a potential company relocation." Developer: "Sure here you go!"

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Chicago mayor has also been in meetings with Bezos for the past two months prior to this anouncement discussing a 2nd hq. What Chicago ONLY lacks is a stable govt budget and isn't the cheapest place to do business, but cheaper than the coasts for them and their employees.

Amazon could literally open in months in Chicago. There's so much modern office space coming online next to major rail stations. If the city was willing to throw away a ton of money on the Olympics, I'm sure they'll dig the debt hole deeper for a trophy hq and generous subsidies. Also, any necessary infrastructure costs can just be passed onto the developers. City: "Hey we need $200 million for a new subway station for a potential company relocation." Developer: "Sure here you go!"
    I personally think Chicago is a strong candidate for Amazon on paper.

That said, my focus is more so on cities that *NEED* Amazon. Chicago, Boston, Denver, Dallas, Minneapolis, Austin, etc. are all doing just fine without it.

If it were up to me, I would want the following places to score this [[in the exact order):

1. Detroit
    2. Atlanta
    3. Nashville
    4. Pittsburgh
    5. Chicago
    Last edited by 313WX; September-10-17 at 05:24 PM.

UM helps effort to lure Amazon’s ‘HQ2’ to Detroit

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...-hq/105500358/

N.Y. Times went through a big list of cities and came up with 3 finalists and their choices was: Denver.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...l?mcubz=0&_r=0

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    N.Y. Times went through a big list of cities and came up with 3 finalists and their choices was: Denver.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...l?mcubz=0&_r=0
    And this is why the New York Times is known as Fake News. It's an empty propaganda piece. Why was Grand Rapids taken out of the running? Grand Rapids is going all in to woo them with a proposal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZqhrQzvPrc No answer from Fake News.

Why was Detroit taken out of the running?

No explanation other than the article saying it's just a sentimental pick and therefore should be scratched off. They were quick to strike Chicago off the list because they said the "finances of Illinois are a wreck." I'll accept that. But, why Detroit? Nothing. Just prejudice. Have these ignorant journalists even set foot in Detroit lately? Are they even aware of what Metro Detroit has to offer? I guess Metro Detroit, let alone Detroit proper, doesn't have any "quality of life" like Denver.

The MCS more than meets all their requirements and it's a really nice walk from Corktown to Downtown with a lot of new development in the area.

If Bezos just wanted a HQ south of Washington, why doesn't he just choose his birth state of New Mexico?

Michigan is going to get it. Washington State is a lot like Michigan. It is another northern state like Washington that borders Canada [[and I think that is why Detroit is at the top of their list of picks). Another reason they want to expand elsewhere is because Seattle won't work with them anymore. Detroit does want to work with them and it also meets all their requirements.

I really think Detroit is going to get it because I haven't seen anything that would knock them down from that top 3 list other than fake news propaganda pieces.
    Last edited by davewindsor; September-12-17 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post

I really think Detroit is going to get it because I haven't seen anything that would knock them down from that top 3 list other than fake news propaganda pieces.
    Keep dreaming buddy...

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/11/tech...ies/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Not surprising that the Counterfeit News Network would ignore discussing Detroit. It's called "propaganda", buddy. When you discuss certain major cities you like and ignore discussing other valid choices to limit the discussion, that's what it's called.

Not surprising that the Counterfeit News Network would ignore discussing Detroit. It's called "propaganda", buddy. When you discuss certain major cities you like and ignore discussing other valid choices to limit the discussion, that's what it's called.
    I'm not your buddy guy. Your comment is stupid and absurd. The reason CNN did not include Detroit, is because Detroit will not get it. Detroit does not stand a chance due to high crime, poor education, lack of mass transit [[among many other lack of's).
    Last edited by warsaw7; September-12-17 at 11:13 AM.

And this is why the New York Times is known as Fake News. It's an empty propaganda piece. Why was Grand Rapids taken out of the running? Grand Rapids is going all in to woo them with a proposal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZqhrQzvPrc No answer from Fake News.
    No one but crazed Trump cultists think the NY Times, the most esteemed English language news source on the planet, is "fakenews".

Even Trump knows it isn't "fakenews". He chose the NY Times for his first Presidential interview. It's the English language paper of record.

GR wasn't included in the analysis because it doesn't meet Amazon's size requirements nor its transit requirements. Read the article, and it's quite clear.

Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast