Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    'Twas Elby's in Pennsylvania. We never had Big Boys in New Jersey, and I looked forward to visiting the relatives in PA for the opportunity to eat at Elby's
    Shoney's Big Boy in Virginia till Shoney's tried to make it on their own.

so what locations have a really good weekend brunch?

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    I don't blame any business tagged with being terminally unhip and stuck with a dying base of customers for trying to change things. Kind of like when Olds redid their lineup to try to get rid of the "old guy's car" stigma.

The problem is these efforts rarely work - the old folks run away and generally aren't replaced with a younger clientele. So RIP Olds, Bill Knapp, and probably soon, Big Boy.
    I think the food at Big Boy is pretty good for what it is, diner type food. I don’t find it objectionable at all the vast majority of the time. I think the comparisons to McDonald’s are ridiculous, the offerings are completely different.

I guess I’m old and have bad taste in food. So take me out in the backyard and shoot me.

Well, the Big Boy on Jefferson is no more. Flat as a dime. Torn down, and cleared away now -- flat lands!

Here's something that we haven't seen in a long time...a brand new Big Boy opening. This one replaces the former Toast Restaurant on West Road west of I-75 in Woodhaven.

In an ironic twist of events, Toast also had a location in Garden City that was a former Big Boy and which eventually closed after a pot dispensary was discovered on it's property.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Here's something that we haven't seen in a long time...a brand new Big Boy opening. This one replaces the former Toast Restaurant on West Road west of I-75 in Woodhaven.
    Good to hear, another in the neighborhood just closed, but immediately reopened as another family style restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    In an ironic twist of events, Toast also had a location in Garden City which eventually closed after a pot dispensary was discovered on it's property.

I guess that one's toast.

People misunderstand. It's in the name. Toast was where you go to get toasted, not to eat toast. LOL

Toast is also the name of an upscale diner specializing in breakfast in Birmingham and Ferndale.

For a sec. I thought this was some April Fool's joke. Big Boy replacing the brunch crowd across from the Townsend Hotel.

Is the Brawny Lad or Swiss Miss still available......anyone?

According to the website, the Brawny Lad is still available

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Toast is also the name of an upscale diner specializing in breakfast in Birmingham and Ferndale.

For a sec. I thought this was some April Fool's joke. Big Boy replacing the brunch crowd across from the Townsend Hotel.
    Oh my gosh, of course you’re right, that brunch crowd from across the Townsend would rather die then set foot in a Big Boy. They probably become ill just driving by one, they probably tell their chauffeur to take a different route when they think they might be getting close. After all, the only people who eat at Big Boys are people from the trailer park, then after they get done gobbling down their food and wiping their mouths with their sleeves they go immediately back to their sardine can house and start banging their relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Oh my gosh, of course you’re right, that brunch crowd from across the Townsend would rather die then set foot in a Big Boy. T
    Big Boy is crap. They're microwaving frozen Sysco "food". If you think this is some awful, elitist stance, and it's inherently un-American to consume food prepared from scratch, then go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    According to the website, the Brawny Lad is still available
    Brawny Lad, Swiss Miss, and the Slim Jim are still on their menu.

The Big Boy at Michigan and Telegraph in Dearborn has also closed.

EatNPark in PA was also a Big Boy Franchisee that chose to go it alone. Very good food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x7ZEgys9_E
    Last edited by rooms222; February-27-18 at 08:36 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4