Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Exactly how does exclaiming "F**k Colin Kaepernick" at a concert make Kid Rock a racist? Kid Rock never mentioned nor disparaged Kaepernick's race at all. Kapernick is a schmendrick, regardless of his skin color, and he deserves to be called out for his blatant disrespect for the country that gave him the opportunity to rise to the heights that he has risen. If Chris rock said "F**k Colin Kaepernick" would it be permissible in your view? So now anybody calling out a person of another race for their actions is a racist?

Perhaps the problem here is that you, and Henderson, have such a myopic world view that you cannot view anything except through the lens of race. What a sad existence it must be to go through life trying to make every issue into a racial incident. But hey, Al Sharpton became very wealthy doing this so it may work for you.
    Ah so you have to mention race directly now to say something with racial connotations. Im sure the all white crowd he was playing in front of in Iowa were uber patriotic people and it has everything to do with the flag and nothing to do with the fact it was a black guy taking a knee. I find it funny that when Kid Rock does something it is NOT up for interpretation but if CK takes a knee he is saying "fuck you" to the country despite countless interviews and statements to the contrary. If Chris Rock said the same thing I would disagree with it just as much. Being an idiot isn't something exclusive to one group of people or another.

Not every issue is about race and in fact this might be the first time I have broached the topic here in the years ive been on this site. The problem is people such as your self who think we live in a post racial world and frankly don't like talking about it because it is a complex issue. It is much easier to be the grumpy old white guy bitching about race than someone who tries to address the issue head on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    The point is,.. very few Detroit have real skin in the game. If you don't help pay Detroit's bills,.. then yes,.,. I don't want to hear your mouth move. Your opinion is worthless.
    Where do you live? Can I stop listening to your drivel yet?

The morally and ethically bankrupt see brown and white. Successful people see a different color,.... green. Your choice.

There's an old saying,.. "A lair trusts no man". Why? Because the lair is always lying,.. and he presumes everyone else is a liar. Same goes for racists. People who ARE racists presume everyone else is too. And they view everything as race.

The first person to bring up race is almost always the most racists person in the room. Others are thinking dollars, jobs, infrastructure, easements, right-of-way, security, national image, conventions, etc..... and a guy like Henderson can only see racism.
    Hey it's Gordon Gecko everyone. I can't believe that I dare to think of anything but making "green."

Sound logic. Guy writes a thought out article with reasoning but if he points the finger at anyone, it is him who he is describing. That sounds like the logic of someone who never assumes they are capable of being wrong. So when you imply that a good chunk of Detroiters are dumb, ill just assume you are talking about yourself.

The first person to bring up race might be the one in the room intelligent enough to realize racism still exists and that it is worthy of discussion. Why is it always white people that complain when people of color bring of issues that may have to do with race?

The point is,.. very few Detroit have real skin in the game. If you don't help pay Detroit's bills,.. then yes,.,. I don't want to hear your mouth move. Your opinion is worthless.
    So I take it you live in Detroit, right? Otherwise, feel free to take your own advice.

Viewed by people of color? No one has ever shown him to be a racist in any way. If some group of people have made up something in their own minds,.. then that's THEIR problem.
    Um, Kid Rock is the one screaming "Fuck Colin Kaepernick" in public. That's on him. If I screamed "Fuck America" from a concert stage, your reaction wouldn't be "what, you think Junjie hates America? That's YOUR problem."

So in your mind,. the Confederate flag means only one thing? Slavery? And anyone who has ever flown the flag must be pro-slavery? You're kidding right?
    Well, given that it's the battle flag of an army raised to fight for slavery by states rebelling against America in defense of their right to hold slaves, it's pretty hard to imagine what alternate meaning you might think it has. Even if it has some second meaning, that doesn't scrub it clean of the first. "My Nazi flag is there to remember my German grandfather! It doesn't mean anything bad!!" Yeah, ok, clown.

Of course Confederates and slave owners were all Democrats,.. and most Detroiters are Democrats,... so they must have gotten over it right?
    I don't want to blow your mind, but even though the Republicans were radical abolitionists in the 1860s, they are now the party of white supremacy, with Trump's election cheered by the KKK, neo-Nazi's etc. This is because parties change positions over time. Feel free to Google Lee Atwater, the Southern Strategy, etc. It's not our job to educate you on basic facts.

I don't think Henderson was analyzing anything. I think he's just a flaming racist that hates anyone who is not black. And he likes to create division for his own fun and profit. Blame others in stead of taking personal responsibility. That's his game.
    Are you on drugs? Honestly, how did you get such an insane interpretation of his article? He points out that a guy who screams "Fuck a guy standing up for black rights" and who proudly associates with the battle flag of the slave-holding traitor states might not be the best personality to give both an opening show AND a permanent branded restaurant to in a majority black city, and you see "I HATE ALL WHITE PEOPLE."

White fragility is quite a thing to behold.

So who should LCA have booked? Aretha Franklin? She has a hard time selling 2,500 seats these days. LCA needs to book acts that can sell 20,000. Or perhaps LCA should have booked someone from out of town like Beyonce? Of course Henderson would then be lambasting LCA for not booking a local act. But the reality is,.. the only local acts that can sell that many seats are who? Kid Rock, Eminem and Bob Seager? Ted Nugent only plays 7,000 seat arenas these days.
    Are you actually arguing that there is no one else on earth that LCA could have booked who would sell out opening weekend? That may be the dumbest argument in this post's sea of stupidity.

Non-racists in Detroit have one thing on their mind,... Success! Book big acts. Sell lots of seats. Sell lots of parking spots. Sell lots of dinners. Sell lots of drinks. Make the area a success. Lift everyone up. Yes the rich will get richer. But the employed get better jobs and raises. Some unemployed will become employed,.. and those that are still unemployed now become easier for everyone else to support.

Or you can go with Henderson's approach,... scream racism and try to bring it all down.

The morally and ethically bankrupt see brown and white. Successful people see a different color,.... green. Your choice.
    In other words, people who are oblivious to racism because they're generally rich, white, and not affected by it are free to ignore it. Well, yeah. That's part of the problem with resolving these issues.

There's an old saying,.. "A lair trusts no man". Why? Because the lair is always lying,.. and he presumes everyone else is a liar. Same goes for racists. People who ARE racists presume everyone else is too. And they view everything as race.

The first person to bring up race is almost always the most racists person in the room. Others are thinking dollars, jobs, infrastructure, easements, right-of-way, security, national image, conventions, etc..... and a guy like Henderson can only see racism.
    You're presenting a delusional, mind-bending false narrative in which Henderson asking for an act respectful of Detroit is equivalent to hating all development. Where is that, in the piece he wrote? Where is "I hate all white people?" The guy who reads a reasoned, intelligent complaint based in facts and then starts screaming about how everyone but him is racist doth protest too much.

People who get offended are not productive people with whom you can have a rational discussion about anything. I have never really agreed with Henderson in his political columns before, and I see no reason to start now. Kid Rock- while not my type of musician- doesn't do anyone any harm, unless you are the type of self-aggrandizing victimhood advocate who has bought into the micro aggression fiction in fashion on the left of late. Yeah, Kid Rock is a righty. So are lots of people. And he is also a local with a hell of a lot of fans, business acumen and local pride. I am all for his playing LCA. Although I am onboard with the notion of preferring Bob Seger. He's more my style.

Oh, also, Mr. Henderson: 96% of Detroit students do not perform grade-level math. So, by all means, keep up the important work of critiquing the opening act of the new hockey arena. But everyone is aware that Kid Rock might run for the Senate [[he isn't, actually), and this is the Freep's opening salvo in the "Save Stabenow at All Costs" campaign. Let the games begin. When the race actually starts, and former Chief Justice Robert Young emerges as the GOP candidate, the death-level vitriol for a black man who dares think off of the plantation will be really let loose. As much as Henderson might detest Kid Rock, wait until he writes about a black conservative.

You can be a Conservative and not spew hatred. You can be a Conservative and not espouse racist beliefs or symbols. You can be a Conservative and not be a hypocrite. Unfortunately, Robert Ritchie is not that kind of Conservative.

I will be the first to say it. Kid Rock is white trash, plain and simple. His fans are the ones who come down to Detroit during parade day, opening day and the former Hoe-Down and would piss, have sex, litter and vomit in Corktown and downtown. This man is running for senate and just like Trump, if he doesn't get his way, it's "go fuck yourself." Some leader and role model for today's youth. And this is the representation that Olympia Entertainment wants for an opening act? SMH.

Is Kid Rock a talented musician? Absolutely. He is one of the best scratch DJ's around. He has sold millions of albums. I am not taking that away from him. But it is the fan base he draws. I would say less than 5% of the audience that are at these six shows do not live in the city proper. Not to mention the majority of Detroit is in fact African American. For having him as the opener, not just for one date, but for six is in fact a slap in the face. A poster earlier commented why not Bob Seger? Absolutely, Bob Seger would be fantastic. He is a classy individual with no controversies and is a living legend. What about Eminem? He would be perfect as an opener. More people in the city can relate to Eminem than Kid Rock. What about Madonna? Iggy Pop? Now who knows, maybe Olympia did reach out to the four aforementioned names and they declined. There are plenty of great national acts out there would fit the bill.

You're much like Henderson. Take a few tidbits and then weave a big racists story from it. Perhaps 1/3 of Detroiters own property. And 47% of the owned property hasn't had it's taxes paid. So you know,.. perhaps 1/5th of Detroiters actually pay property taxes? [[either because they don't own any,.. or because they can't pay them). If YOU view those people as cheats,.. then that's YOUR right. I didn't call them that, you did.

Just a point - renters pay their rent, and a portion of that rent goes to pay property taxes. So, the 2/3 of Detroiters who don't own property help pay Detroit's bills, too. Also, Detroiters pay income tax to the city, so they have another way to help pay Detroit's bills.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Just a point - renters pay their rent, and a portion of that rent goes to pay property taxes. So, the 2/3 of Detroiters who don't own property help pay Detroit's bills, too. Also, Detroiters pay income tax to the city, so they have another way to help pay Detroit's bills.
    Theoretically, yes. It's supposed to work that way.

Kid Rock is a racist POS.

It's an insult to taxpayers to glorify his idiocy in a taxpayer funded facility, especially in an 85% black city. Deplorable.

Purity testing anyone? Perhaps Detroit should have included provisions regarding who could and couldn't perform at this venue based on what they've said, if they ever took drugs, which candidates they contributed to, if they were ever deemed to have insulted the flag, etc.. Why not establish a panel of inquisitors to shield the masses from bad influences like Kid Rock and Colin Kaepernick?

Meanwhile, the Illitch's have contributed mightily to the rebuilding of Detroit. Henderson not so much. I am reminded of how when Jimmy Hoffa's efforts vastly increased the earnings of Teamsters, Bobby Kennedy realized and reacted to the threat of workers becoming too independent and not needing Democratic handouts. Should Detroit blossom outside the managers of federal grants and their entourage, some interests will be gored.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Purity testing anyone? Perhaps Detroit should have included provisions regarding who could and couldn't perform at this venue based on what they've said, if they ever took drugs, which candidates they contributed to, if they were ever deemed to have insulted the flag, etc.. Why not establish a panel of inquisitors to shield the masses from bad influences like Kid Rock and Colin Kaepernick?
    Your [[very bad) attempt at "whataboutism" isn't going to work.

No one wants to block a performer from selling junk or performing at LC Arena if they took drugs or protested racism. But many do care when you have a vile racist getting taxpayer subsidies to sell crap in a black city. It's a huge FU to the city and region.
    Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Meanwhile, the Illitch's have contributed mightily to the rebuilding of Detroit.
    Yes, we should all deify the great Illitches, who were nice enough to take hundreds of millions from Michigan schools and children so that they could enrich their billionaire family and turn downtown into a moonscape of parking lots...

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    But many do care when you have a vile racist getting taxpayer subsidies to sell crap in a black city. It's a huge FU to the city and region.
    Curious who your comment targets? Kid Rock or the Illitch's?

who were nice enough to take hundreds of millions from Michigan schools and children so that they could enrich their billionaire family and turn downtown into a moonscape of parking lots...
    I am looking for a simple read on TIF financing to share with everyone. The misconceptions as to how it works that are consistently spouted on this forum are shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Curious who your comment targets? Kid Rock or the Illitch's?

Nice......

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Your [[very bad) attempt at "whataboutism" isn't going to work.

No one wants to block a performer from selling junk or performing at LC Arena if they took drugs or protested racism. But many do care when you have a vile racist getting taxpayer subsidies to sell crap in a black city. It's a huge FU to the city and region.

Yes, we should all deify the great Illitches, who were nice enough to take hundreds of millions from Michigan schools and children so that they could enrich their billionaire family and turn downtown into a moonscape of parking lots...
    Are you applying for a job as inquisitor? My points were 1) that the spirit of the inquisition is alive and well whether burning witches, persecuting someone who doesn't genuflect upon seeing a flag, blacklisting someone who doesn't consider other flags an abomination, or "etc." and 2) that Detroit failed to stipulate conditions for whom could perform at this venue in the fine print before accepting Illitch money. Where were you when Detroit was accepting Illitch money? Better get your sign ready to protest the next time the Illitches pull out their checkbook to redevelop Detroit. Better yet, you and like minded people should offer alternative funding.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Ah so you have to mention race directly now to say something with racial connotations. Im sure the all white crowd he was playing in front of in Iowa were uber patriotic people and it has everything to do with the flag and nothing to do with the fact it was a black guy taking a knee
    Because YOU think of everything in terms of race,.. doesn't mean all white people do.

The U.S.A. is a place where a person of color is most likely to be able to achieve his/her dreams. And this guy has the nerve to disrespect our flag and anthem.

Very misplaced protest. On top of that,.. he's not on his dime. When he's in the stadium on game day,.. he's being paid by the franchise to represent that franchise. He also represents the owner, the city and the fans. It's not HIS time to use for his personal beliefs. Yet he uses THAT platform to push his own personal agenda. Not illegal,.. but also not smart.

He's rich and famous. For sure if he wanted to ACTUALLY make some change,.. he could start a protest, hold a press conference, start a foundation, donate his time, money or both to a cause or lobbying group etc. That could have actually made some difference.

But instead he chooses to insult his country's flag and anthem,.. a country that did nothing to him except allow him to get rich.

THAT'S what people have against Kapernik. The sooner you can understand that, the sooner you'll understand that not everyone is racists like you.

And yes, I live and own and operate businesses in Detroit. I employ Detoiters, and pay a lot of taxes here.
    Last edited by Bigdd; September-05-17 at 11:01 AM.

Remember when playing the race card was criticized. Now, playing the race card is SOP as the opening move.

Fortunately, the incessant playing of the race card on everyone, all day long, has allowed much of American to realize that they will be labelled 'racist' for waking up white [[WAW). Those who WAW now realize that there is no appeasement of the fools who all everyone racist for everything.

What's odd here is that all this hang-wringing about race seems to have happened when race relations are so good. Does anyone really think just under half the population are racist? Ah, well you WAW's may not be racist, but we have a new adjective for you. You're 'privileged'.

Did anyone else notice that in the marketplace of ideas, 'privileged' won out over 'micro-aggression'? Did all the micro-aggressions stop? Or did 'privilege' just play better.

I'm rather bored with all this race debate. Its a problem of the past that's getting eliminated by human experience and interaction [[HE&I). The only solution to the minimal remaining racism is positive HE&I. Most Fowlerville families now have blacks in their extended families. And in 75% of those families, they like their new son-in-law more than the previous 3 redneck, useless boyfriends their daughter had. The kid has a decent job, and takes care of Susan. Positive HE&I works. Labelling and prejudiced [[against WAW) doesn't.

Ok a quick breakdown because there are some really bad thoughts being spread around in this thread.

1.) The Ilitch's opened the LCA today. It's paid for by them and by the taxpayers of the city of Detroit.
    2.) Olympia books entertainment.
    3.) Robert Ritchie is entertainment.
    4.) Robert Ritchie is also a racist. This is a fact. You cannot disprove this. He waves a Confederate flag and yelled F**k Colin Kaepernick at a concert.
    5.) Robert Ritchie wants to run for Senate [[apparently). This is an opportunity because of the people that voted for Trump will probably vote for him.
    6.) If you try and defend Robert Ritchie, you are called a racist. That is not true. You are a racist sympathizer. You could be racist, but at the very least you are a sympathizer of racism.
    7.) Stop deflecting from racism or think people are using racism as an excuse. It is not the past, it's part of our present, here and now. It's very clear racism is alive and well, just look at Charlottesville and the current administration. If you attempt to say racism is not alive, you clearly haven't been paying any attention to what is going on in our country.
    8.) It's Robert Ritchie's right to say F**k Colin Kaepernick just as it is Henderson's right to write a column bashing him and Ilitch. If you do not think so, then you don't understand Freedom of Speech.
    10.) Robert Ritchie is from Romeo, not Detroit.

Any questions?

http://www.freep.com/story/news/colu...ues/629802001/

Here's an article by Rochelle Riley in today's Free Press. Some very good points. Again, while I don't agree with his way of thinking and his politics by any means, what other artist's is going to do six show's at $20 a ticket? This will be bringing people to the area and hopefully, spending money at small business and restaurants in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Ok a quick breakdown because there are some really bad thoughts being spread around in this thread.
    Any questions?
    Yes, who appointed you the thought police?

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post

1.) The Ilitch's opened the LCA today. It's paid for by them and by the taxpayers of the city of Detroit.
    2.) Olympia books entertainment.
    3.) Robert Ritchie is entertainment.
    4.) Robert Ritchie is also a racist. This is a fact. You cannot disprove this. He waves a Confederate flag and yelled F**k Colin Kaepernick at a concert.
    5.) Robert Ritchie wants to run for Senate [[apparently). This is an opportunity because of the people that voted for Trump will probably vote for him.
    6.) If you try and defend Robert Ritchie, you are called a racist. That is not true. You are a racist sympathizer. You could be racist, but at the very least you are a sympathizer of racism.
    7.) Stop deflecting from racism or think people are using racism as an excuse. It is not the past, it's part of our present, here and now. It's very clear racism is alive and well, just look at Charlottesville and the current administration. If you attempt to say racism is not alive, you clearly haven't been paying any attention to what is going on in our country.
    8.) It's Robert Ritchie's right to say F**k Colin Kaepernick just as it is Henderson's right to write a column bashing him and Ilitch. If you do not think so, then you don't understand Freedom of Speech.
    10.) Robert Ritchie is from Romeo, not Detroit.

Any questions?

11). And Detroit is being Detroit. smh.

I canceled my Detroit newspapers this week because I couldn't take all the articles that claim this and that are racist. Everyone needs to chill the heck out.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    11). And Detroit is being Detroit. smh.
    And how are things in Washington D.C., Steve? Everything straightened out so you can spend your days straightening out Detroit's problems?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast