Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Just great ! So in the last week I could have gone to Florida for hail, 40mph winds and 60 degrees, got air-lifted from a sinking cruise ship, or got stranded somewhere in Europe by a fly-by-night airline. Sometimes home is the best place to be.
    I was beginning to think I was alone thinking that way.

I'm reminded of the story about a guy who survived Hiroshima only to flee immediately to Nagasaki then live to 93!

It's staycations for me!

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Iceland’s Wow Air has abruptly shut down and cancelled all its flights, leaving passengers stranded, after its rescue deal failed to materialize. Earlier this week, the budget airline announced it was in advanced restructuring discussions after being hit by falling tourist numbers, rising oil prices and low-cost airline competition
    For the last 6-months at least, anybody in the travel industry knew that buying a ticket on WOW was akin to buying an appliance service warranty from Sears.

The deals might have been good, but it was expected the airline probably was going under at some point in the near future. The only real question was when. I do feel bad for those who didn’t know better, and bought the ticket unsuspectingly.

Iceland Air and Aer Lingus are both on much better financial footing, and I sincerely hope DTW is able to land one or both airlines in the near future. There is also a good business case for both, if politics don’t get in the way.

Just great ! So in the last week I could have gone to Florida for hail, 40mph winds and 60 degrees, got air-lifted from a sinking cruise ship, or got stranded somewhere in Europe by a fly-by-night airline. Sometimes home is the best place to be.
    You realize there are other airlines serving Europe, right? You wouldn't be "stranded"; you would buy a one-way ticket home. It wouldn't cost nothing but it also wouldn't be more than you spend in a couple of days in Europe.

When you spent $400 round-trip to Europe, spending $1500-$3K on a return flight with over 24 hours layovers might make it seem like you're stranded.

[[source: I did a quick search on Kayak)

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    When you spent $400 round-trip to Europe, spending $1500-$3K on a return flight with over 24 hours layovers might make it seem like you're stranded.

One way tickets from London to NYC can be had for like $300, which is what a modest traveler will spend in a day. They'll survive.

This is the risk you take when taking the ultra budget airlines. In exchange for super low fares you're sacrificing reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    One way tickets from London to NYC can be had for like $300, which is what a modest traveler will spend in a day. They'll survive.

This is the risk you take when taking the ultra budget airlines. In exchange for super low fares you're sacrificing reliability.
    I looked up LHR to NYC for tonight and the cheapest ticket is $850. But I agree, Wow had a spotty record, even before they had no money. A budget airline isn't going to go out of their way to take care of basic customer service issues.

Thank-you, although I'm sure most non-anal entities understood I wasn't referring to permanent asylum.

I looked up LHR to NYC for tonight and the cheapest ticket is $850. But I agree, Wow had a spotty record, even before they had no money. A budget airline isn't going to go out of their way to take care of basic customer service issues.
    When you could fly to Europe for $150 with them one would have to figure time was limited.

The question would be,did their presence generate buisness demand that would no longer exist given the regular rate

Last week we did not have hail in Florida,it was in the 70s and 80s,the middle of spring break and the worst that you would have encountered was the traffic of people from all over the country cutting across 3 lanes of traffic and slamming on the brakes so they do not miss thier turn.

That little stick on the steering column is called a turn signal switch.

The most horrible thing I encountered was sitting in traffic behind a VW that had Michigan manufacture plates on,it just did not seem right.

Same day tickets will always price-gouge on busy routes, but that's actually a really good price for a last-minute to London.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2