From what I've surmised, I think they make enough money to keep afloat but not enough that the owners are rolling in the dough.

A few years ago, when they were shut down for many months during Covid, they had to raise money via GoFundMe to keep the lights on. Literally. The electric bill to keep all that stuff running is high, and given the nature of much of the equipment, shutting the power off for a long time would have caused stuff to stop working.

My guess is that they probably can't afford to move it properly. Even if they could find a space, would they be able to pay the same rent as they are now? And the moving itself would probably cost tens of thousands of dollars, if not more. They can't just hand truck the stuff onto the back of a semi and hope for the best when they unload it. Every bump loading it in or pothole along the way would have the potential to be catastrophic for stuff that, in some cases, probably hasn't been moved in 30-40 years. And, stuff might not come online anyway. I imagine that, with a lot of stuff in that place, once it breaks, that's it. They can't just order replacement parts on Amazon for stuff that's now one-of-a-kind.

To my knowledge, they're proposing to tear down a big section of the existing shopping center and put in a Meijer. There's a good chance the current footprint could be smack dab in the middle of the bakery.

Sad. It's a cool place because it's so small, yet it gives a peek into the wonders of multiple generations.