Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I don't know the ins and outs of this, but couldn't they build around it?

Stromberg2

Regardless of where it is located, does it bring in enough revenue to sustain it?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Regardless of where it is located, does it bring in enough revenue to sustain it?
    I would be surprised if it isn't profitable--there are a huge number of coin-operated machines packed tightly together, and that is historically a very nice, high-margin business. But I have no idea whether it is profitable enough to finance the costs of moving, especially given that a lot of the items would require special handling because they are old and/or fragile.

I certainly hope it can be preserved somewhere, if not in its current location. It would be a shame if the collection were broken up..

It's worth more together than broken up.

How would you even liquidate something like that? What a headache.

If I ran the world, I would put it in Greenfield Village.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That's a great idea. I thought years ago, let alone these days, Greenfield Village is pretty boring for kids and could use more interactive exhibits [you can only flatten a penny so many times].

From what I've surmised, I think they make enough money to keep afloat but not enough that the owners are rolling in the dough.

A few years ago, when they were shut down for many months during Covid, they had to raise money via GoFundMe to keep the lights on. Literally. The electric bill to keep all that stuff running is high, and given the nature of much of the equipment, shutting the power off for a long time would have caused stuff to stop working.

My guess is that they probably can't afford to move it properly. Even if they could find a space, would they be able to pay the same rent as they are now? And the moving itself would probably cost tens of thousands of dollars, if not more. They can't just hand truck the stuff onto the back of a semi and hope for the best when they unload it. Every bump loading it in or pothole along the way would have the potential to be catastrophic for stuff that, in some cases, probably hasn't been moved in 30-40 years. And, stuff might not come online anyway. I imagine that, with a lot of stuff in that place, once it breaks, that's it. They can't just order replacement parts on Amazon for stuff that's now one-of-a-kind.

To my knowledge, they're proposing to tear down a big section of the existing shopping center and put in a Meijer. There's a good chance the current footprint could be smack dab in the middle of the bakery.

Sad. It's a cool place because it's so small, yet it gives a peek into the wonders of multiple generations.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    There was an arcade at Greenfield Village, 40-50 years ago. It's been gone for a long time, but it seemed like a good idea. Arguably a lot of the Marvelous Marvin stuff would make more sense for the Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    That's a great idea. I thought years ago, let alone these days, Greenfield Village is pretty boring for kids and could use more interactive exhibits [you can only flatten a penny so many times].

That's what trains are for...

^ Good idea about relocating these items to Henry Ford Museum as an arcade. I remember when I was a kid, and was overwhelmed by a lot of relatively boring [[for a kid) things in the Museum. Having an arcade area [[maybe built on behind the IMAX) would be very entertaining if these were usable in an arcade for kids.

Maybe the "kids" should learn about history and NOT more fnnn games.

Do we really need another Meijers? IMO NO ... keep this place!

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Maybe the "kids" should learn about history and NOT more fnnn games.
    There are only a handful of modern games at Marvin's. Most are old-fashioned games, some from Coney Island. As someone else said, there used to be an old fashioned arcade at Greenfield Village, right next to the boat launch. It's the charter school campus now.

It's absolutely museum-worthy stuff. As it is, there are placards describing the history of a lot of their collection, but it's all jammed together, so it can be a bit confusing to find information about what you are looking at. For example, they have a complete set of the Rock-A-Fire Explosion animatronics from ShowBiz Pizza behind the pinball machines, but, IIRC, the placard is all the way on the side. There is a documentary about this "band," and it has a niche, but rabid fan base who restore and reprogram them to play new songs. They also have PT Barnum's casting of the "Cardiff Giant" that has it's own Wikipedia page.

Fate of Marvin’s Marvelous Mechanical Museum on hold
    The City Council put plans on hold due to concerns they had with the proposal.

Demolish Marvin's and build another Meijer's! We have too many Meijer's locations. This has gone too far.

Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum owner vows arcade will live on, despite demolition

Despite having plenty of fortune tellers around — the future is uncertain for Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum, as it’s set to be demolished.

It’s been a staple in Farmington Hills for 43 years, but there is hope that the attraction could find a new home.

"It hurts, because it’s taken a long time to make this place look like it does," said Jeremy Yagoda, who works at Marvin’s. "We’ve made so many memories here."

Yagoda’s dad was Marvin himself. The arcade has been packed through the years with antique games and gizmos, pinball, popcorn and fun.

There's plenty of fun and games to be had, but now Marvin’s Museum is undergoing a trial of its own.

The Farmington Hills City Council voted unanimously to approve a new development plan for Hunters Square, where Marvin’s is located....

Jeremy is hoping he can stay a tenant in the new development.

"They say they want to keep me around but they haven’t been willing to give me any offers," he said.

Jeremy says, the mayor and city council have been supportive of his arcade — but at the end of the day — their hands are tied.

"I know as council that we can’t get involved in landlord-tenant issues," said Mayor Theresa Rich. "Our attorney here is shuddering {like} 'What is she going to say next.' But really to the extent that something could be worked out, wouldn't that be lovely for everyone?"

If it’s not in the cards — Yagoda will work to keep his dad’s legacy alive — somewhere else.

"I have no desire to go away," he said. "We are going to try to work something out with our current landlord. Maybe we could try to find a place within here they will offer us. If not, I’m going to move. I've got to keep this going. It’s fun."

Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum demolition moving forward after site plans approved

"What Jeremy is looking at is this is an opportunity to grow the business. He says they are at about 5,500 square feet now. He would like to be more like 10,000 square feet," [Farmington Hills Mayor Theresa Rich] said. "He would love the opportunity to add birthday rooms so that they could have more parties there."

Looks like it's a done deal. Meijers is going to boom at that location.

10,000 feet? Marvin's could soak up that much space and just be comfortable with the amount of stuff they have jammed in there. Anyways, bigger for this kind of place is always better! I'm going to go as many times as possible until they close and move.

If I'm Gilbert's team, I'm reaching out to the owner. Would be such a neat [[and likely very popular) destination downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    If I'm Gilbert's team, I'm reaching out to the owner. Would be such a neat [[and likely very popular) destination downtown.

Like Punch Bowl Social!

It would be a great thing to have downtown, but it would probably need some kind of subsidized space. There's a reason it was in a random old mall space in Farmington Hills.

But really, I just hope it finds a suitable space somewhere. If it closes, that will be a tremendous loss.

ah well. nice memories there. more vintage arcades needed.

I hate how this came about but I'm not surprised at it. If FH actually owned some viable property nearby, it should easily be a handshake deal, but consumer revenue and property tax have taken this entire area over.

This belongs here.

1960s Crazy Collector Of Carousels & Clocks & Pinball Machines.
    He Demonstrates Them
    This is one of my very early documentaries recorded in 1966 with Fred Fried, a renowned American collector, author, and historian, particularly celebrated for his extensive collection of carousel art and other Americana antiques.

Born in 1920 and passing away in 1994, Fried was one of the foremost experts on carousels and authored several seminal works on the subject, including "A Pictorial History of the Carousel" and "America's Forgotten Folk Arts." His writings and collections have played a significant role in preserving the history and artistry of carousels, which were a prominent form of entertainment in the United States from the late 19th to the mid-20th century.

Fried's interest wasn't limited to carousels alone; he collected a wide array of Americana, including carousel figures, band organs, carnival art, and folk art, showcasing the rich tapestry of American cultural history. However, his primary passion was for carousel figures, which he collected and restored, preserving their artistic and historical value. These figures, crafted from wood and intricately painted, are considered valuable pieces of folk art and are sought after by collectors.

Regarding the fate of Fred Fried's collection, as is often the case with private collections of this nature, pieces may be donated to museums, sold to private collectors, or auctioned. Specific details about what happened to Fried's entire collection might vary, but significant portions of such collections are typically dispersed through auctions and sales, ensuring that the art continues to be appreciated and preserved by new generations. Some pieces might also find homes in institutions dedicated to the preservation of carousel art and Americana, contributing to the educational and cultural heritage of the community.

Fried's legacy lives on through his contributions to the field of carousel history and preservation, as well as through the pieces that continue to be displayed and cherished by collectors and enthusiasts around the world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2