Hudson Site Proposal Interior
740 FOOT TOWER PROPSED FOR HUDSON SITE »

10 FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

School shouldn't start later, because it would inconvenience family life. A little inefficiency is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    School shouldn't start later, because it would inconvenience family life. A little inefficiency is fine.
    It's actually a lot of inefficiency. Especially for teens.

Too early a start time not only hurts their learning, makes them restless in class and more.

And what's the difference between children coming home at 4:30 v.s. 3?

I look at my neighbor's children (5 & 7) standing out in the cold and near dark at 7:20 am (on the occasion I'm even awake then) and wonder "why"?

I know they were up at 6:15. What are they in the Army? They should be asleep 'till 8. And when they're a teen,.. more like 9.

That same family has younger children that catch a different bus at 8:30.

I think they should move the younger ones up from 8:30 to 8,.. and move the older students from 7:30 to 9. On average it's only a 1/2 hour change.

And they'd learn easier,... with less outbursts in class, and more attention span,.. perhaps they could come home at the same time?

I agree. Some children are sleep deprived, which affects them far more than adults (not that the kids - especially teens - would ever admit that). Perhaps an 8:30 AM start will be tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    School SHOULD start later.

The evidence is conclusive that children don't learn nearly as well when they're woken up at 6:30 as they do if woken up at 8. School for first grade through 8th grade should be moved 1-2 hours later....

I've been asking (into the air) for years why we don't just put the entire country on DST and then leave it there. Makes for longer evenings and does away with the need to switch clocks around.

And we are almost there anyway when you look at it. With the latest changes in DST start/end dates, we're only on standard time barely 4.5 months out of the year.

If people are really concerned about school start times, I'm sure many logistical issues might need to be hammered out if school were to start later in the day, but it's quite doable.

Nice thing about being retired is you don't really give a care about what time it is. And every day is Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Sun is nearly always up before 5 a.m. here in Las Vegas. Since Michigan is on the western edge of the time zone, and Nevada is on the eastern edge, there's pretty much a one hour difference in "sun time v. civil time". On the other hand, even on the longest summer day, the sun sets in Las Vegas at 8:01 p.m. And due to the Spring Mountains on the west, the sun actually disappears a half hour before that in much of the valley.

Don't mind me. I just like to ramble on and on sometimes.
    In June there's a good period of time where the sun sets after 9pm. I love the late sunset.

I'm all for Michigan adopting DST all year long.

Hopefully Ontario would be coerced into tagging along.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2