Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The Big Blow of 2017 - 60 MPH+ Gusts Blast Detroit

There is so much damage everywhere it is hard to keep up with. I've lucked out so far, just seen a few traffic lights out and branches down, and my generator hasn't kicked on yet. Hope you are all safe.

What's the report by you?

Kind of amazing considering how sunny and pleasant is otherwise.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 5.19.33 PM.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  74.2 KB

Someone just reported evacuations at the Renaissance Center. Can't imagine the wind actually doing any real damage, but perhaps people were getting sick from the swaying?

Edit: http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...r_sways_6.html
    Here's the article, looks like the building was swaying 6-8 inches and elevators were also malfunctioning.

The tree guys are going to make bank off of this one.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; March-08-17 at 06:15 PM.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/weathe...mpanys-history
    Heather Rivard from the DTE command center said hundreds of thousands of Metro Detroiters have been affected."We've had a total of nearly 600,000 customers impacted by this storm, making it the second largest in our company's history," Rivard said.
    Wow. My power went out for a minute but came back on. We seem to be having more high wind days in recent years. Is this due to climate change? Stay safe everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/weathe...mpanys-historyWow. My power went out for a minute but came back on. We seem to be having more high wind days in recent years. Is this due to climate change? Stay safe everyone.
    It's the Trump Effect.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    The tree guys are going to make bank off of this one.
    And any restaurant lucky enough to have power.

And hotels. Most of my street decided to leave

Two trees toppled here. No harm done.

For safety reasons DTE is prioritizing cutting power to downed lines before restoring power to dead lines. That makes sense.

About half of my power is out. I'm told that's likely because one of two upstream 220V lines is dead.

No doubt other reports to DYes are delinquent only because the power outage prevents their internet access.

630,000 outages reported just now. At one point DTE was reporting 1000 new outages per minute.
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-08-17 at 10:35 PM.

Many traffic lights are out in Clawson, Troy, Rochester Hills, and Rochester. Large pockets of outages everywhere. Warren and other parts of southern Macomb seem to have been hit really hard.

I saw a transformer ablaze on Elizabeth at the Clinton River in Rochester.

Power stayed on during the entire event, Comcast services are up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It's the Trump Effect.
    Normally an arctic clipper wouldn't receive much resistance moving southeast through the Midwest. However, a strong hot air movement this winter from D.C. met it and has caused turbulent weather.

Further evidence that 'climate change' is man made. Scientists now believe it originates in Washington, not India or China, as previously thought.

Six weeks ago people across the world protested this man made climate change.
    Last edited by emu steve; March-09-17 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Normally an arctic clipper wouldn't receive much resistance moving southeast through the Midwest. However, a strong hot air movement this winter from D.C. met it and has caused turbulent weather.

Further evidence that 'climate change' is man made. Scientists now believe it originates in Washington, not India or China, as previously thought.

Six weeks ago people across the world protested this man made climate change.
    Nicely done.

This is happening everywhere east of the Mississippi.Is this the face of winter in the future?

Wyandotte was hit pretty bad, over half of the Municipal Services grid was knocked down. I had to do without power for 13 hours [[only got it restored overnight)! Traffic lights were out on Fort Street and multiple trees were down, including one incident where two blocks of Northline had to be shut down for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    An entire house on my street did the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Gotta get their MTV.

People have forgotten how to live without electricity. Candles, lanterns, fireplaces, camp stoves, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It's the Trump Effect.
    Or a Fatty Maroon Fart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    About half of my power is out. I'm told that's likely because one of two upstream 220V lines is dead.

There are no 'upstream 220v lines'. 220V is only from the transformer on the pole to your house. Upstream from there is the wires between poles and that is usually 4,800 volts or higher. You've lost one 'leg' of that primary supply which could mean a branch laying on a wire shorting it to ground.

No power in East English Village. Oddly enough, seems like half of the neighborhood does.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Heather Rivard from the DTE command center said hundreds of thousands of Metro Detroiters have been affected."We've had a total of nearly 600,000 customers impacted by this storm, making it the second largest in our company's history," Rivard said.
    This morning they're saying this has become their largest outage in history. I think they said it has grown to over 700,000 customers. Yikes.

Our power is out on Atkinson St. Everything was fine going down Chicago but the south half of Longfellow was dark and I don't know how far south it extends. I hope this does not last. I've got meat in the freezer.

In addition to shingles on the lawn I actually saw a piece of the cedar shake underlayment so that will have to be investigated.

I've got real limited power, furnace won't kick on, no TV, dim dim lights. Noticed folks across the street had their TV on, so it just must be my side of street.

never went down @ maple + lahser...everything north of maple was dark though [[bloomfield village). lots of branches for a nice campfire

DTE Energy@DTE_Energy 8m8 minutes agoMore

Power has been restored to over 135,000 people. Repair estimates will start being available at noon today.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast