Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cloth Nail Aprons

I am a collector of old cloth nail aprons, primarily from Michigan however I will take them from anywhere. Why do I collect them? To try to preserve the past. Many are discarded into the trash or fire barrel over time. I have, to date, 139.

For those of you who live in and around the Detroit area, I have some aprons from that area. I am looking for answers to question concerning those lumber companies. From time to time, I'll post questions about these items as I receive the aprons. I would certainly appreciate your help in re-discovering our past.

Restrick Lumber Co., When did they go out of business? The lumber company started in 1884 and became incorporated 1908. The lumber company was located at 1000 West Grand Blvd., Detroit

Name:  Restrick Lumber Co..jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  182.8 KB

Restrick Lumber Company was on the west side around Meyers and Lyndon in the 1940's and early 1950's. They had a major fire about 1955 that put them out of business, as I recall. I took some photos of that fire, but they, alas, have long been gobbled up by gremlins during my journeys. By the way......fascinating collection! Since I worked in a hardware store in my high school/WSU days, looking to see more.
    Last edited by Ray1936; February-24-17 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Typo

Hello Ray, It's good to hear from someone, of course it's only been a couple of hours. I write a blog on a site called, Lumberjocks.com. But I also post some of my finds on my facebook page, Wilburvillewoodworks. If you get a chance, take a look. But, to add to your comment, I will be posting more of Detroits finest. Thanks for your reply. Very interesting information.

Going through the Free Press archives, it seems they merged with Erb Lumber and became Erb-Restrick Lumber out of Birmingham. Not much information past the early 70s...

dtowncitylover, thanks for the info on my apron. Yes, I ran across similar info regarding the Erb-Restrick merge. However, mine puts the merge around the mid 60's. A third generation Restrick, Thomas Rstrick, retired from the Restrick Lumber company in 1963. At that time it was mentioned in an article concerning a lawsuit that the company was named ERB-Restrick Lumber Co. My Question to anyone is: can anyone date this particular apron? But, I will take any information concerning the company. Again, thanks for the info.

As I am new to this thread, I would like to continue to post more photo's of Detroit area lumber company cloth nail aprons. How do I do that? Can I do that on this particular thread or do I have to start a new one each time I present another apron? So far, this information has been useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilburvillewoodworks View Post
    ... do I have to start a new [thread] each time I present another apron?...
    I'm pretty sure most folks would prefer keeping them all in one thread. Interesting collection though. It might help to transcribe the wording on the apron so folks don't have to squint at it.

Good thinking Jimaz. This particular apron has the following on the front.

When you build
    see
    Restrict
    Lumber Co.
    1000 West Grand Boulevard
    Detroit, Michigan
    Phone No. LAFAYETTE 0500

I hope this additional info can help. I find that most of these Bib type aprons are from the 30's and 40's. The phone number is usually a helper.

Name:  Currier Lumber Co..jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  100.1 KB
    Name:  Currier Lumber Co. 2.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  88.9 KB

Here are a couple of aprons I've picked up from the Detroit area. I don't know anything about these companies other than what is on the apron's. Even though the names are the same, are they both the same company?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Yes, but is it still in business? It it at 7500 East Davison?

Yes, but is it still in business? It it at 7500 East Davison?
    Sort of... Google Hoover Treated Wood Products, Detroit MI.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I really appreciate it. Here's another one from the Detroit metro area. I hope someone can give me a hand on any information.
    Name:  Braver Lumber Co..jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  94.5 KB
    This one is kinda cool, it's a Braver Lumber Co., at 5300 E. Nevada

That apron is very similar to the first thing I made in sewing class at Keating Elem. in the 50's The pockets were used for clothespins.

Thanks Wilburville. I spent the summer of 1966 working at Currier Lumber, mostly unloading lumber from box cars by hand.

Default jiminnm, Do you remember the phone number?

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Thanks Wilburville. I spent the summer of 1966 working at Currier Lumber, mostly unloading lumber from box cars by hand.

Hey Jiminnm, Do you remember the phone number for Currier from back then? Would this be the number from the 60's?

Sorry, I don't recall. The telephone exchanges started changing from letters to numbers around 1960. So, I expect the TW number was from the 1950s and the 365 number later [[maybe the 1970s). There may be city directories on line, so you might find better info there. You may also be able to find when the telephone numbers changed from four numbers to five, to give you a range of time.

Thanks Jiminnm, I appreciate you getting back with me.

Here's a couple more aprons that I have to get some feed back from all you wonderful people in Detroit. Although, one of these is from Detroit, I have others that are close to Detroit that may trigger some memories. Here they are:

Name:  Brooks Lumber Co..jpg
Views: 989
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  Ulrich.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  89.2 KB

Thanks Jiminnm, I appreciate you getting back with me.

Here's a couple more aprons that I have to get some feed back from all you wonderful people in Detroit. Although, one of these is from Detroit, I have others that are close to Detroit that may trigger some memories. Here they are:

Name:  Brooks Lumber Co..jpg
Views: 989
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  Ulrich.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  89.2 KB
    I know for sure Brooks Lumber is still alive and well in Detroit. Same location too.

Ulrich Lumber was on 9 Mile, between Sherwood and the RR tracks. They closed about two years ago, now a fencing place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    Ulrich Lumber was on 9 Mile, between Sherwood and the RR tracks. They closed about two years ago, now a fencing place.
    I didn't realize fencing was that popular of a sport.

ARG ARG,that's what I thought of when I first read that response. Touche

Sure it is. Often done while wearing the cloth nail apron! Didn't cha' know?

Was Gutherie & Brand Lumber in Delray, now MC Gutherie Lumber in Livonia.

Name:  GLC Gutherie and Brand Lumber.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  142.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jmpatrick View Post
    Was Gutherie & Brand Lumber in Delray, now MC Gutherie Lumber in Livonia.
    According to their website, they started in Detroit, but they don't specify Delray. How did you get Delray from that - the phone #?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast