Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

10-15 years ago that site was designated to be used for a multi mode transportation center. The tiny regional Amtrak station is on the other side of the railroad tracks from those empty lots. It will have to upgraded if commuter rail comes in. The Amtrak station is on a tiny lot with no room to expand.

I don't know if this is still the plan.

This location seems indicative of how well the Ilitch family plays with others.

Gores and the Pistons have been in negotiations with them for a while and Olympia owns a abundance of vacant property around the arena yet no deal could be made to bring the Pistons facility closer to LCA.

Upside is this is a win for New Center.

I think there is more to it then just that. Clearly the Henry Ford is going to pick up some of the tab as they want to incorporate their sports medicine facility into what the Pistons are doing. I might be wrong but I thought that the Pistons were already with the DMC, which has had a rumored facility shown in renderings next to the arena. If the Pistons are making a switch to Henry Ford Health it would be odd having two competing medical facilities right next to one another in The District. HF already had the land and wanted to team up. I don't see this having anything to do with the Ilitch family.

I'm guessing the DMC + Red Wings job may be on hold with potential DMC sale looming. it's unclear to me if either project has a public component. It would seem logical the DMC/Red Wings project has some public component.
    Last edited by hybridy; March-06-17 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I think there is more to it then just that. Clearly the Henry Ford is going to pick up some of the tab as they want to incorporate their sports medicine facility into what the Pistons are doing. I might be wrong but I thought that the Pistons were already with the DMC, which has had a rumored facility shown in renderings next to the arena. If the Pistons are making a switch to Henry Ford Health it would be odd having two competing medical facilities right next to one another in The District. HF already had the land and wanted to team up. I don't see this having anything to do with the Ilitch family.
    Makes sense to me.

That location makes sense given the HFH component.
    Last edited by emu steve; March-07-17 at 02:42 AM.

Yes, Harper Hospital does a lot of work with the Pistons. My niece works at Harper, and has met all of the Pistons, giving them some medical tests... either at Harper or going out to the Palace.

This is the same niece who got off of SB I-75 at Mack to go to work... and got into an accident with a Parade Company float! My niece had the right of way, but the float would not yield.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    This location seems indicative of how well the Ilitch family plays with others.

Gores and the Pistons have been in negotiations with them for a while and Olympia owns a abundance of vacant property around the arena yet no deal could be made to bring the Pistons facility closer to LCA.

Upside is this is a win for New Center.
    The Pistons are switching to HFH as their provider this has nothing to do with the Ilitch's.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    The Pistons are switching to HFH as their provider this has nothing to do with the Ilitch's.
    It might not, I was speculating.

HFH made a branding deal, naming rights, advertising etc. Contracts like this one are the norm in the pro sports business. These deals are normally for X amount of money for X amount of years. It is my opinion that you guys are over reaching that the hospital specified the New Center location to reach the agreement or that assests like land had to be part of the deal. If they did insist on that location it seems even more odd because it will be a whole lot less visible where it's going than some of the empty land around the arena that would be in a higher traffic area and downtown. It is about advertising, that is the reason for the expenditure in the first place.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; March-07-17 at 11:22 AM.

It might not, I was speculating.

HFH made a branding deal, naming rights, advertising etc. Contracts like this one are the norm in the pro sports business. These deals are normally for X amount of money for X amount of years. It is my opinion that you guys are over reaching that the hospital specified that location to reach the agreement or that assests like land had to be part of the deal. If they did insist on that location it seems even more odd because it will be a whole lot less visible where it's going than some of the empty land around the arena that would be in a higher traffic area and downtown. It is about advertising, that is the reason for the expenditure in the first place.
    The conspiracy theories are nonsense. The William Clay Ford Center for Athletic Medicine is already in the New Center area.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    I'm guessing the DMC + Red Wings job may be on hold with potential DMC sale looming. it's unclear to me if either project has a public component. It would seem logical the DMC/Red Wings project has some public component.
    Where are you hearing the DMC will be sold? I work right next door at WSU med school and have heard no rumors. Current ownership of the DMC is horrible so I'd be glad to see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Where are you hearing the DMC will be sold? I work right next door at WSU med school and have heard no rumors. Current ownership of the DMC is horrible so I'd be glad to see it happen.

McLaren may buy a part of the DMC.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...g-parts-of-dmc

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    The conspiracy theories are nonsense. The William Clay Ford Center for Athletic Medicine is already in the New Center area.
    I stand corrected, my mistake in thinking that anything could be built in the vast vacant openness of the Olympia holdings property in downtown Detroit besides the pizza headquarters, Wings/Tigers stadia and parking. Lots and Lots of parking.

I don't know what I was thinking, there is ALWAYS a damn good reason why nothing else could possibly go in there and work in real life. Certainly not the new facilities of the NBA team sharing the new arena.

Of course the exception is new asphalt and fences. Pave baby pave. Gooo Tigers!!
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; March-07-17 at 09:17 PM.

I stand corrected, my mistake in thinking that anything could be built in the vast vacant openness of the Olympia holdings property in downtown Detroit besides the pizza headquarters, Wings/Tigers stadia and parking. Lots and Lots of parking.

I don't know what I was thinking, there is ALWAYS a damn good reason why nothing else could possibly go in there and work in real life. Certainly not the new facilities of the NBA team sharing the new arena.

Of course the exception is new asphalt and fences. Pave baby pave. Gooo Tigers!!
    Well, playing dumb and doubling-down on erroneous claims never happens on here...nor in real life.

One of the purposes of these forums is for people to toss out ideas and questions and have other posters bat them around.

In the case of the Pistons' facility I'm sure there were many PRIMARY considerations such as land and partnership with health care providers.

I'm sure most posters are not knowledgeable a priori [[beforehand) as to health care provider partnerships or even land deals.

As it turns out, those who guessed that the deal would be with DMC and located near the arena were wrong on both counts, as the deal with HFH apparently dictated the location.

Not a win for District Detroit but a BIG WIN for DETROIT. Not transformational but it will be a beautiful building, will employ a lot of people, great for the Pistons' players and staff, and will be another boost for the New Center area where WSU is doing some things beside what others are doing in the area.

Kind of usual to have 'spin off' development what 2+ miles away? But it is. No LCA, no Pistons facility in New Center.
    Last edited by emu steve; March-08-17 at 04:08 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2