Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 109 of 143 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 119 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 3565

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Who was the user here who knew the camera guy? Any idea why there hasn't been a new video in almost a month now? Did he quit his job? Move his office??
    I know camera guy. He reached out to me for help, but I don't even know what floor the camera is on anymore, was on vacation, and I'm only in the office once per week.

I'll be in the office tomorrow and I'll see if I can figure anything out. If I can figure out where the camera is the laptop running it probably just needs a nudge.

It's a neat system that "camera guy" made that makes the time lapse video and automatically uploads it, but when it stops working it can be difficult to coordinate a fix with other priorities and infrequent office attendance.

Not sure if you guys are aware of "Nate S", but he occasionally posts updates of the Hudsons site. Pretty good production value, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0AeQZk4h4o

I'm surprised this guy has only 59 subscribers!

Tower core seems about 6 stories tall now. And the chicken bones have a great deal of meat on them too! wow.
    Last edited by Satiricalivory; December-19-21 at 08:24 PM.

Update on the timelapse camera:

The original system died. The laptop will only run for a few minutes and then it completely freezes up. I was able to get some new hardware issued for it and configured the things I know how to configure. It's now in the hands of "Camera Guy" to install the software automation he made and get it back up and running. I'm in contact with him and it seems like he'll probably do it today or this week. So maybe a new video tomorrow?

The tower portion of the building is getting almost too tall for the camera to see. The camera is located on the high floor that we lease space on, the 12th floor of the One Campus Martius building.

Here are some pictures I took from the 7th floor of OCM:
    Name:  PXL_20211220_145525722.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  122.1 KB

Name:  PXL_20211220_145520231.jpg
Views: 2358
Size:  104.2 KB

Thanks for the update! I always thought about the day when the camera showed nothing but a glass wall. We're getting there!

EDIT: It's back!

Last edited by EGrant; December-20-21 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottathew View Post
    Update on the timelapse camera:

The original system died. The laptop will only run for a few minutes and then it completely freezes up. I was able to get some new hardware issued for it and configured the things I know how to configure. It's now in the hands of "Camera Guy" to install the software automation he made and get it back up and running. I'm in contact with him and it seems like he'll probably do it today or this week. So maybe a new video tomorrow?

The tower portion of the building is getting almost too tall for the camera to see. The camera is located on the high floor that we lease space on, the 12th floor of the One Campus Martius building.

Here are some pictures I took from the 7th floor of OCM:
    Name:  PXL_20211220_145525722.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  122.1 KB

Name:  PXL_20211220_145520231.jpg
Views: 2358
Size:  104.2 KB
    What will this portion be?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    What will this portion be?
    The first picture is all tower core, the 685' section. The second picture you can see the tower core in front of the podium/block portion which will be shorter [12-14 stories from what I can remember]. I've outlined the different parts.

Keep in mind, in the finished form, this picture perspective would show only the tower portion, as it would completely block the view of the podium/block section.

I hope that makes sense...

Name:  PXL_20211220_145520231explained.jpg
Views: 2289
Size:  224.7 KB

Name:  Explained2.jpg
Views: 2204
Size:  121.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by wazootyman View Post
    Not sure if you guys are aware of "Nate S", but he occasionally posts updates of the Hudsons site. Pretty good production value, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0AeQZk4h4o

I'm surprised this guy has only 59 subscribers!

At the end it shows construction progress on the Exchange Building/apartment in Greektown...it's going up pretty quickly.

I really hope Exchange's faster/cheaper method of construction works out well. If we got 5 more of those downtown it would seriously take the density to a new level and keep apartments somewhat affordable.

I wasn't familiar with Exchange. It looks like a great project. This website has 3D renderings, floor plans, and condo prices for the entire building. It even shows which condos already sold: https://exchangedetroit.com/

Wow... I like the modernity of the Exchange Building a lot more than I thought. The black top 2 floors, from a distance, sort of tricks the eye into seeing a classic Mansard roof.

Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but the tower floors that are not yet built appear as though they will be steel beams and columns, you can see the brackets on the concrete core. I’d expect that for the office portion. Long spans for open offices are best achieved by steel construction. But the tower is supposed to be hotel and residential and typically those are concrete column and slab construction for towers. A steel structure for this use is rare when it’s a tower. I don’t understand why this would break from conventional standards. I’d only expect to see this when something has gone wrong with the development plan jeopardizing the project economics…that could be uncertain uses, high cost of material, labor availability. It’s just unusual to see this.

Looks like the last street level pour was done today, which means the entire site is officially above ground!

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but the tower floors that are not yet built appear as though they will be steel beams and columns, you can see the brackets on the concrete core. I’d expect that for the office portion. Long spans for open offices are best achieved by steel construction. But the tower is supposed to be hotel and residential and typically those are concrete column and slab construction for towers. A steel structure for this use is rare when it’s a tower. I don’t understand why this would break from conventional standards. I’d only expect to see this when something has gone wrong with the development plan jeopardizing the project economics…that could be uncertain uses, high cost of material, labor availability. It’s just unusual to see this.
    Could that be the result of the plan and scope changing so much in the last few years?

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Could that be the result of the plan and scope changing so much in the last few years?
    Thats the only reason I can think of. Hotels and residences that are towers are almost always built with concrete floors and columns. It just makes economic sense. You can cram in more floors too within a fixed building height because the slabs are thinner. But you really need to know where columns go because you can’t get long spans like steel office towers to serve a use for whatever. So if you had absolutely no idea what you wanted to do, a steel building would be more forgiving if you change the use. Plus you can run mechanicals above a ceiling. If you chose hotel, and then decided to change to condos or apartments in a concrete building, you’d be stuck with micro apartments and have mechanicals running in all the places you don’t want them to be.

If steel offers much more versatility I think that would explain it. They want to change it up as they see fit at any point. This is an extremely mixed use project.

Midway through todays daily video [[Jan 3, 2022), the exterior tarp gets lifted a story on the tower’s elevator core. Pretty neat to see that lift in action.

I noticed "the lift" too! It was really neat!

Steel is now rising on the TOWER side! What an awesome new development! I won't be back in the office until February 7th at the earliest, but I'll get some pictures then. I'm glad we got the camera all fixed up before they sent us home.

Here is an update from Jan 8th with part of the Exchange Development in the background:
    Attachment 41903

Just as steel goes up the videos are down again. Urgh. :[[

Great news regarding the steel.

Is it right to be hopeful that the steel will rise much quicker on the tower portion than on the block portion? Building is going to take forever if steel goes up at a glacial pace.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Great news regarding the steel.

Is it right to be hopeful that the steel will rise much quicker on the tower portion than on the block portion? Building is going to take forever if steel goes up at a glacial pace.
    Yes, the foundation is always the slowest portion of any building. Steel usually goes up pretty quick

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Just as steel goes up the videos are down again. Urgh. :[[
    It's back up now!

It might help to repeat the link every once in a while.

HudsonSite Construction

The January 8, 2022 video is only 8 seconds long. It must be just a test.