Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 89 of 143 FirstFirst ... 39 79 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 99 139 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 3569

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    I don't think they've ever worked on Sundays, but it seems they're back to working Saturdays again.
    That has been my observation. They have been working Saturdays for a few, with the exception of Labor Day weekend.

I don't think they've ever worked on Sundays, but it seems they're back to working Saturdays again.
    Sunday is double time so they try to not work it unless needed.

For those of us that were wondering how they would get the last part of the ramp out of the pit [[FF to 3:00 mark):

Well look at that lol. Good bye ramp, hello floor plate! Now just wondering if they will only be working on the Block for now and use the Tower for staging or if the Tower work will be coming online relatively soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Well look at that lol. Good bye ramp, hello floor plate! Now just wondering if they will only be working on the Block for now and use the Tower for staging or if the Tower work will be coming online relatively soon.
    If memory serves me right they've been saying the block portion rises first, then the tower. Don't quote me on that though. So nice to see that eyesore ramp gone! Now it looks like a full-blown construction site 😊

Seems like there has been a big uptick in the # of workers recently

You weren't kidding, saw the last video. Tons of people on site. I feel like more than ever before.

Default Hudsons Site

You weren't kidding, saw the last video. Tons of people on site. I feel like more than ever before.
    Now, if there was just someway to recommend to Gilbert and Bedrock, 700' would be much better bragging rights than 680.' I think the Monroe Block development has been put on the back burner for now. I just don't think they will develop such a large investment unless they have a tenant. Gilbert so wanted to bring Amazon into downtown Detroit, but Amazon would not have any part of it unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    Now, if there was just someway to recommend to Gilbert and Bedrock, 700' would be much better bragging rights than 680.'
    You could hold a sign outside of the construction site that says "please increase the height 20 feet" and accost anyone walking by with your message. Make enough noise and you might even get some local media coverage.

Now, if there was just someway to recommend to Gilbert and Bedrock, 700' would be much better bragging rights than 680.' I think the Monroe Block development has been put on the back burner for now. I just don't think they will develop such a large investment unless they have a tenant. Gilbert so wanted to bring Amazon into downtown Detroit, but Amazon would not have any part of it unfortunately.
    I might be unpopular on here but I agree with you. Just another 20 feet! Didn't even have to be taller than the rencen, just another 700 footer. Will still be a really quality addition and will look massive where it is nonetheless. Yeah I happen to wonder if monroe blocks was for an amazon company or whatever. HQ2 would've been sweet.

Honestly, in my opinion, I really like the height of buildings like One Detroit [[ally center). A few more of those in Detroit and it will be amazing.

Maybe this will be one of those Chrysler Building situations where they'll secretly build a spire inside the building and lift it up to get the record at the last minute.

Taking a pause from dumb complaining, I am amazed watching these videos that they can find anything in that pit once it's hooked in off a truck. There's so much stuff to keep track of - if I'm doing something simple like replacing an outlet I have to look for my screwdriver 10 times during the process. On a site like that keeping track of material and tools is an art.

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    Taking a pause from dumb complaining, I am amazed watching these videos that they can find anything in that pit once it's hooked in off a truck. There's so much stuff to keep track of - if I'm doing something simple like replacing an outlet I have to look for my screwdriver 10 times during the process. On a site like that keeping track of material and tools is an art.
    It's all mapped out by lasers and the site plans are very exact. The equipment is very sophisticated. I thought I wanted to be an architect when I was younger and took some courses like blueprint reading, etc. I really respect all the different contractors and everything that goes into it. It's immense

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Maybe this will be one of those Chrysler Building situations where they'll secretly build a spire inside the building and lift it up to get the record at the last minute.
    Ha! I love that story... that was when the Chrysler Building and 40 Wall Tower were competing for tallest building in the world in the late 1920s. 40 Wall [[St.) Tower thought they were going to win by at least 20 ft.... until the spire at the Chrysler Building started going up thru the roof.

Unfortunately for Walter P. Chrysler's vanity... his tallest building [[1,077 ft.) in the world lasted less than 2 years, when the Empire State Building topped out at 1,272 ft. in 1932.

The bitching never ends, will never end. It's almost impressive how angry this project makes people.

"They're only moving dirt!"
    "They're just building a parking garage!"
    "Only the podium is getting built!"
    "It's not tall enough!"

The goal posts constantly change every month lol.
    I really think it's 1-2 people who love to troll various forums, then delete comments after causing an uproar. Weird behavior, but it's best left ignored.

The base of the building site reminds me of looking at a computer chip [[or board). There's so many different components on that lower level that it's a wonder how the 2 crane operators keep it all straight when they move things around down there. As we can now see... it's way more complicated than just driving 150+ caissons into the bedrock below.

Default Hudsons Site

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I really think it's 1-2 people who love to troll various forums, then delete comments after causing an uproar. Weird behavior, but it's best left ignored.
    I'm not complaining, just making a statement and blame Bedrock for it anyways, they are the ones that said, 912' was good.

I'm not complaining, just making a statement and blame Bedrock for it anyways, they are the ones that said, 912' was good.
    Oh wow you really are bitching about it. I thought you just joking.

Default Hudsons Site

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Oh wow you really are bitching about it. I thought you just joking.
    I'm not bitching at all it is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to one. This is a forum of discussion and not to be used to try and put someone else down because they convey their thoughts and maybe not exactly what some other's may think. No one has put forth any reliable comment about the proposed Monroe Block development. I thought I had read on this forum there were plans to start construction this summer [[2020). Obviously, that did not materialize. Bedrock has rehabbed many downtown buildings and maybe the market is now saturated with available rentals. Plus, no large tenant for this large 35 floor building. Cannot build it without someone interested to come in and pay rent.
    Last edited by bigboat; September-26-20 at 05:16 AM.

I'm not bitching at all it is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to one. This is a forum of discussion and not to be used to try and put someone else down because they convey their thoughts and maybe not exactly what some other's may think. No one has put forth any reliable comment about the proposed Monroe Block development. I thought I had read on this forum there were plans to start construction this summer [[2020). Obviously, that did not materialize. Bedrock has rehabbed many downtown buildings and maybe the market is now saturated with available rentals. Plus, no large tenant for this large 35 floor building. Cannot build it without someone interested to come in and pay rent.
    If you can't handle someone criticizing your comment then don't post online, this is the internet not kindergarten. Secondly I don't know if you've noticed lately but there is a pandemic and recession[[depression depending on who you ask) going on right now so no one is going to be building anything anytime soon especially a skyscraper especially since no one knows what the future of offices will look like for the years to come. Personally I think they'll be fine as this whole thing was terribly handled and blown out of proportion, but that's just me.

Default Hudsons Site

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    If you can't handle someone criticizing your comment then don't post online, this is the internet not kindergarten. Secondly I don't know if you've noticed lately but there is a pandemic and recession[[depression depending on who you ask) going on right now so no one is going to be building anything anytime soon especially a skyscraper especially since no one knows what the future of offices will look like for the years to come. Personally I think they'll be fine as this whole thing was terribly handled and blown out of proportion, but that's just me.
    I'm not the least offended by any of this and I don't take offense with much of anything anymore, heard it, seen it, said it many other times.

There still will be a need for office space. People aren't gonna do WFH forever. Where I live traffic is already back to pre-covid levels. People are punching back in at the office. Michigan and governor whitmer have gone bananas on lockdowns. I get that there's a virus but what seven&wyo said...."blown way out of proportion"....this won't turn into a virus debate thread so I'll stop the tangent there. I think Monroe blocks and other future office projects in Detroit will happen. Just gotta ride the recession out

Remember Gilbert's MLS soccer stadium district bait and switch for the fail jail land, too. And we've heard nothing about the University of Michigan Center for Innovation in over a year.

We will also lose our screw driver at least 10 times during that day. If not that, something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Ha! I love that story... that was when the Chrysler Building and 40 Wall Tower were competing for tallest building in the world in the late 1920s. 40 Wall [[St.) Tower thought they were going to win by at least 20 ft.... until the spire at the Chrysler Building started going up thru the roof.

Unfortunately for Walter P. Chrysler's vanity... his tallest building [[1,077 ft.) in the world lasted less than 2 years, when the Empire State Building topped out at 1,272 ft. in 1932.
    True, but fortunately for the Chrysler Building it's usually recognized as far more beautiful than both most of those whose height it surpassed and most of those whose height later surpassed it. And all because of that idiotic height contest [[it wasn't originally designed to be so). I can think of no other example where straining for height led to a better design.

Here's a great podcast about it: https://99percentinvisible.org/episo...er-and-higher/
    Last edited by bust; September-27-20 at 05:10 PM.

Page 89 of 143 FirstFirst ... 39 79 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 99 139 ... LastLast