Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 133 of 143 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 3565

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    Tell me you're not a regular pedestrian without telling me you're not a regular pedestrian. I do make this crossing at least once a week, and depending on traffic and signal timing, it's a PITA. I frequently have to go from my office south of this location, to a client site one block to the north. An otherwise 5 minute walking trip is doubled in some cases.

This would be like shutting down Woodward for 5 years and telling people to use Cass or John R....you wouldn't do that, so why is it okay for sidewalks?
    The amount of construction being done on that site the whole block of Woodward would have to be blocked off to keep pedestrians from being hit by possible falling debris. I am a pedestrian so I just simply cross the street then walk that block then cross back. Hopefully by this time next year the exterior of the tower would be completed so that the sidewalk could reopen

Here are some shots I took today [7/18/2023]:

Name:  PXL_20230718_131150704.jpg
Views: 2825
Size:  225.7 KB

Name:  PXL_20230718_131217341.jpg
Views: 2804
Size:  198.0 KB

3. Default

Awesome picture Scottathew. Thanks.

It has been fun watch it grow on the skyline of the ball park, both at the game and on the televised games. It should dominate the third base view when finished.
    Name:  IMG_7559.jpg
Views: 2738
Size:  111.0 KB

Name:  IMG_7561.jpg
Views: 2708
Size:  118.6 KB

Update as of 7/27:
    Name:  IMG_1634.jpg
Views: 2463
Size:  212.5 KB

I wonder how tall is it now

Hopefully they build it tall enough to provide shade for the fans in Comerica, which is hopelessly without shade on sunny days.

It's starting to look tall and skinny now.

Update as of 8/10:
    Name:  IMG_1882.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  155.1 KB

S'gettin' there. Gonna be a nice addition to dtown Dtown.

Long way to go, for sure.

Stromberg2

Update as of 8/25:
    Name:  IMG_2031.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  167.2 KB

New drone video of hudsons site construction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SjATGNFTls

Quote Originally Posted by Lapooty View Post
    New drone video of hudsons site construction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SjATGNFTls
    I hadn't noticed that dome on top of the block portion before. Very impressive. Hard to believe there are buildings 3 times as high as this.

Default Hudsons Site

Lots of talk at the height of this building. But looking at the latest drone video did you ever wonder how long it takes the crane operator to get to the top of his crane and into his little control room. I think I read that he has a small bathroom I wonder if he has to empty it somehow. Does he work an 8 hour shift is he up there for the whole 8 hours. He has to have a high skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    ... did you ever wonder how long it takes the crane operator to get to the top of his crane and into his little control room....
    Yeah, there appears to be a ladder all the way up the crane. It would be ironic if the operator couldn't be lifted by the crane instead. Or am I missing something?

Couldn't the crane itself lift the operator to save him the bother? That's a long steep climb!

Default Hudsons Site

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Yeah, there appears to be a ladder all the way up the crane. It would be ironic if the operator couldn't be lifted by the crane instead. Or am I missing something?

Couldn't the crane itself lift the operator to save him the bother? That's a long steep climb!

I don't think it would be very safe for the operator to be lifted up by the crane and I think that would be against some Federal Regulation. It is a very long climb and I'm also sure somewhat tiring. I wonder if he could make a 100K a year or maybe even more.

Update as of 9/8:
    Name:  IMG_2036.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  226.2 KB

^ After watching the aerial downtown drone footage, the tower so far is taller than the masonry part of the Penobscot Building [565 ft.], and not quite as tall as the Ally Building [620 ft.]... so it is almost at 600 ft. tall already.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ^ After watching the aerial downtown drone footage, the tower so far is taller than the masonry part of the Penobscot Building [565 ft.], and not quite as tall as the Ally Building [620 ft.]... so it is almost at 600 ft. tall already.
    Moving along faster. Compare the height to a year ago today

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The amount of construction being done on that site the whole block of Woodward would have to be blocked off to keep pedestrians from being hit by possible falling debris. I am a pedestrian so I just simply cross the street then walk that block then cross back. Hopefully by this time next year the exterior of the tower would be completed so that the sidewalk could reopen
    I'm sure this is the B.S. reason that was given. And had I been with the city and reviewed their maintenance of traffic plan, I would've shut that down immediately by telling them to build scaffolding and overhead protection for pedestrians.

Have you been to literally any other big city in the world? Shutting down pedestrian access for an entire block for a new building project is *not* the norm.

I'm sure this is the B.S. reason that was given. And had I been with the city and reviewed their maintenance of traffic plan, I would've shut that down immediately by telling them to build scaffolding and overhead protection for pedestrians.

Have you been to literally any other big city in the world? Shutting down pedestrian access for an entire block for a new building project is *not* the norm.
    Just cross to the other side of the street, it's really not that hard... I've never heard of someone being so butthurt about one block of sidewalk being closed.

Additionally, and contrary to your assertion, it is very common for construction to shut down the entire sidewalk when it comes to building high-rise/ skyscrapers. Often times a traffic lane will be enclosed with scaffold and used for pedestrians, which is not a viable option in this location.

A pedestrian walkway on the construction site perimeter would have crossed over an exit ramp for trucks from the hole in the ground... imagine all the mud and debris left on that exit ramp that would have made walking along a sidewalk there challenging!

You are forgetting that scaffolding are build for pedestrians when an already standing building is being renovated or worked on. Not being constructed. Also the sidewalk in front of the construction will be reconstructed.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    You are forgetting that scaffolding are build for pedestrians when an already standing building is being renovated or worked on. Not being constructed. Also the sidewalk in front of the construction will be reconstructed.
    You really need to get out more.

Below is a picture I took today [9/12/2023].

There are 29 temporary elevator door entrances. There are probably another 5-6 floors above that, and another 3-4 floors of core-only [not visible in my picture]. According to my amateur estimate, the top of the core form is around floor 38.

Name:  PXL_20230912_142833609.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  255.4 KB

Also, take a look at this drone video from 9/9/2023 from Motor City Aerial