Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 136 of 143 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,400 of 3565

Will the Hudson's Block be open by next year eventhough the Tower would not be completed until 2025?

When they decided to finish a small part of the Hudsons block building in terra cotta... did anyone tell the architects that it has an unfortunate resemblance to teak wood??

Ops... my bad... new architecture terra cotta does look stick built...

Some of the most beautiful terra cotta buildings in Detoit look like stone, such as the Fox Theatre Building, and many of the fancy 8 story buildings along lower Woodward.

Making terra cotta look like wood finish tends to cheapen a design, because people will think it is wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; October-06-23 at 08:43 PM.

That part of it is anodized aluminum, in a bronze appearance. The terra cotta is the vertical white parts on the hotel tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    When they decided to finish a small part of the Hudsons block building in terra cotta... did anyone tell the architects that it has an unfortunate resemblance to teak wood??

Ops... my bad... new architecture terra cotta does look stick built...

Some of the most beautiful terra cotta buildings in Detoit look like stone, such as the Fox Theatre Building, and many of the fancy 8 story buildings along lower Woodward.

Making terra cotta look like wood finish tends to cheapen a design, because people will think it is wood.
    My guess is developers wanted the design to go along with the brick buildings that line Woodward

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    That part of it is anodized aluminum, in a bronze appearance. The terra cotta is the vertical white parts on the hotel tower.
    Thanks Jason... I Googled terra cotta buildings, and most of the ones showed in the search were a brown wood color looking.

As for them using white terra cotta in the window surrounds on the tower... no one will have any clue as to the material used.

Just for kicks I looked up the technical RGB code for the color terra cotta at encycolorpedia.com. It's e2725b in hexadecimal.

So if we type [color=#e2725b]Color me terra cotta.[/color] here, we get Color me terra cotta.

Name:  TerraCotta.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  886 Bytes
    e2725b

That's just a naming convention so it's not to say that actual terra cotta couldn't be colored differently.

There are 17 color variations of the terracotta block and 16 color variations of the glazed terracotta block in Minecraft.
    Last edited by Jimaz; October-08-23 at 09:07 PM.

Here is white terra cotta... the Broadway facade of the Detroit Opera House, built in 1921-22 as the Capitol Theatre, and restored about 15 years ago...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; October-07-23 at 06:23 PM.

I must’ve forgot to update. This is as of 10/6:
    Name:  IMG_2158.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  175.6 KB

There is no terra cotta on the block, that's anodized aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    There is no terra cotta on the block, that's anodized aluminum.
    See post 3380.

A pity people won't know the white window surrounds aren't made of cheaper materials.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    I must’ve forgot to update. This is as of 10/6:
    Every time I see these photos it reminds me of a giant kachina about to rise up off its haunches and go slowly lumbering around the city. I swear those look like eyes under that great white helmet.

Too much Godzilla in my youth I suppose.
    Last edited by Jimaz; October-09-23 at 03:46 PM.

Another great drone video from Motor City Aerial!

Some things I noticed in the video...
    - I imported a full-resolution 4K frame and I was able to see that the highest the construction elevator goes up to is floor 31
    - The highest poured floor seems to be floor 40
    - The core would currently seem to be around floor 45
    - This means that the core is not too far away from being topped out [~52]

what is the finishing year projected to be at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what is the finishing year projected to be at this point?
    Everything I'm finding online says 2024.

I would anticipate that would be LATE 2024, but at the rate they've been going 2024 or 2025 is completely plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottathew View Post
    Everything I'm finding online says 2024.

I would anticipate that would be LATE 2024, but at the rate they've been going 2024 or 2025 is completely plausible.
    The project could be complete much sooner if construction were allowed 24/7 instead of 7am to 5pm. Unfortunately the lack of manpower and cost probably delay the completion of this development a lot sooner

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The project could be complete much sooner if construction were allowed 24/7 instead of 7am to 5pm. Unfortunately the lack of manpower and cost probably delay the completion of this development a lot sooner
    I was wondering if that were the case... or if Gilbert was waiting for more post-pandemic time to go by, so that more people are returning to work?

Just read this statistic [dated 1 month ago]...

"90% of companies say they'll return to the office by the end of 2024—but the 5-day commute is 'dead,' experts say. The debate over whether or not to return to the office is far from settled — and yet, the push to get employees back to the office is getting more aggressive."

I used to work for Ma Bell... and we had 2 days a week we were able to work from home [IT] a far back as 1993... so going back to at least some work from home is not new.
    Last edited by Gistok; October-12-23 at 03:57 PM.

I was wondering if that were the case... or if Gilbert was waiting for more post-pandemic time to go by, so that more people are returning to work?

Just read this statistic [dated 1 month ago]...

"90% of companies say they'll return to the office by the end of 2024—but the 5-day commute is 'dead,' experts say. The debate over whether or not to return to the office is far from settled — and yet, the push to get employees back to the office is getting more aggressive."

I used to work for Ma Bell... and we had 2 days a week we were able to work from home [IT] a far back as 1993... so going back to at least some work from home is not new.
    The idea of paying extra shifts of employees to work 24/7 makes no sense when he's been slow moving the construction for years. Along with the lack of office demand, I'm sure he wants to fill up his existing high end apts. in buildings like the Book before adding to the inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The idea of paying extra shifts of employees to work 24/7 makes no sense when he's been slow moving the construction for years. Along with the lack of office demand, I'm sure he wants to fill up his existing high end apts. in buildings like the Book before adding to the inventory.
    It is not all of Gilbert's fault that the project had been moving slow. Covid had delayed this project two years. Had Covid not hit this country this project would had probably been completed in 2021. As far as gaining tenants Bedrock will probably flirt with firms such as Morgan Stanley, Tesla or Toyota, relocating Google, or some other national corporation to move offices in the Block.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    It is not all of Gilbert's fault that the project had been moving slow. Covid had delayed this project two years. Had Covid not hit this country this project would had probably been completed in 2021. As far as gaining tenants Bedrock will probably flirt with firms such as Morgan Stanley, Tesla or Toyota, relocating Google, or some other national corporation to move offices in the Block.
    I didn't say it was his "fault". It was a very reasoned business decision. Tesla? Toyota? You do have a vivid imagination.

^ Well for sho' Ford is not going to be taking up any real estate downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Well for sho' Ford is not going to be taking up any real estate downtown.
    Ford has a whole building in Corktown formally a train station. The most well and safe constructed building downtown. They don't need to take up anymore space downtown
    in the city

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I didn't say it was his "fault". It was a very reasoned business decision. Tesla? Toyota? You do have a vivid imagination.
    Tesla, Toyota, or a national or international firm could use office space in the Block section who could recruit local talent who are QUALIFIED to work for them. We have a foreign country that is just 3 miles south across the pond from us. It's time to think globally as well as locally.

Prior to the tax abatement, I want to say beginning of 2022 they had almost 24 hour shifts for the tower section. They were averaging like 1 floor every 1.5 ~ 2 weeks. Then a couple months later they stalled and asked for the tax abatement.

Update as of 10/19:
    Name:  IMG_2167.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  224.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    Update as of 10/19:
    Name:  IMG_2167.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  224.8 KB
    Had it surpassed the Ally building yet in height?