Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 129 of 143 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 139 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,225 of 3565

Update as of 4/6:

Name:  IMG_9819.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  161.6 KB

Thank you for the updates.

Recent image of the Hudson's block from the Book Tower. Looks like it is getting up towards 400 ft. so far...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Hudsons Site

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Recent image of the Hudson's block from the Book Tower. Looks like it is getting up towards 400 ft. so far...
    I think it is outstanding and even with it being built at a snails pace it will all be very worthwhile when it is completed. Outstanding addition to the skyline and Woodward Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    While I like the base portion, I find the tower to be ungainly and contrived just in order to be taller than the RenCen. "Mine is bigger than yours."
    I guess the RenCen won out. Lol

Looks like windows are going in on the middle portion of The Block. I guess they decided to finish the building after all.

Here's a fun time lapse to watch from today [4/10]. They put in a bunch of windows.

Last edited by Scottathew; April-11-23 at 11:15 AM.

Fake news. That's just pushing dirt around.

On a serious note, I drive down Gratiot every morning and it's very apparent that the tower portion is creeping higher and higher at a regular rate. It's exciting to see cranes on the skyline again.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Fake news. That's just pushing dirt around.

On a serious note, I drive down Gratiot every morning and it's very apparent that the tower portion is creeping higher and higher at a regular rate. It's exciting to see cranes on the skyline again.
    The outside of the tower might be completed by year's end at this rate. I am glad the both buildings are built up to the sidewalk adding to the walled streetscape of buildings instead of them sitting back from the sidewalk as shown in much earlier renderings

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The outside of the tower might be completed by year's end at this rate. I am glad the both buildings are built up to the sidewalk adding to the walled streetscape of buildings instead of them sitting back from the sidewalk as shown in much earlier renderings
    I totally agree... maintaining the streetwall is very impressive.

Here's a Kraemer Design Group possible old design that was thankfully never implemented, and how the streetwall is coming along now...

I am a huge fan of height, density, and streetwall, but I'm not so sour on the idea of an open plaza in front of this building [[and I recognize this ship has sailed). Woodward has such a solid streetwall from C-Mart Park [[lol) to GCP that a little plaza would have been welcome here, methinks. Oh well, we will just have to live with a robust office block and tower -- a good problem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I am a huge fan of height, density, and streetwall, but I'm not so sour on the idea of an open plaza in front of this building [[and I recognize this ship has sailed). Woodward has such a solid streetwall from C-Mart Park [[lol) to GCP that a little plaza would have been welcome here, methinks. Oh well, we will just have to live with a robust office block and tower -- a good problem to have.
    The area between the block and tower will have trees and seating so in a way you will get that, just not fronting Woodward. I am hoping that they end up turning Farmer into a plaza as well. Downtown has been fine without it for 6-7 years and it would be nice to have additional green space in that area and next to the library.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I am hoping that they end up turning Farmer into a plaza as well. Downtown has been fine without it for 6-7 years and it would be nice to have additional green space in that area and next to the library.
    I'm hoping for this too. not holding my breath based on recent renders but keeping traffic to only one side of the library seems like it would go a long way for a sense of place, and keep traffic to a minimum on a block [Z Garage west side] that already has a critical mass of foot traffic and only stands to increase when the Block opens. If it were up to me I'd close both sides and have a pure pedestrian plaza for a psuedo Bryant Park/NYPL vibe – or close Library and make Farmer a very barebones one-lane loading zone [edit: Capitol Park's west side is a good example of this].
    Last edited by kuuma; April-12-23 at 02:02 PM.

Love the idea of closing Farmer. It's been closed for almost 5 years now and would make a nice little extension of the pizza-shaped park with the Abraham Lincoln statue in front [[back?) of the library.

Glad other people feel the same way. That small stretch of Farmer next to the library has no business being a street for traffic anymore. Theres another street literally 50 feet over for that same purpose.

If anything it should be a restricted drive for loading/unloading at the absolute most. But ideally, yes make the whole thing a ped plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapooty View Post
    Glad other people feel the same way. That small stretch of Farmer next to the library has no business being a street for traffic anymore. Theres another street literally 50 feet over for that same purpose.

If anything it should be a restricted drive for loading/unloading at the absolute most. But ideally, yes make the whole thing a ped plaza.
    I'm not opposed to this I'm just trying to understand the benefit. What is there for pedestrians on either side? There's no retail/cafes, etc. just the library on one side and a big median with the PM on the other. it's not like Harmony or Capitol Park areas. I'm just trying to figure why pedestrians would use it more than the existing sidewalks.
    Last edited by 401don; April-13-23 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm not opposed to this I'm just trying to understand the benefit. What is there for pedestrians on either side? There's no retail/cafes, etc. just the library on one side and a big median with the PM on the other. it's not like Harmony or Capitol Park areas. I'm just trying to figure why pedestrians would use it more than the existing sidewalks.
    Hudson's would be opposite the Library with retail and amenities there. You could create another place for people to gather much like the alleys a block in each direction from it. Food trucks, perhaps a cafe, outdoor seating and places to congregate. Campus Martius is great but public places that aren't always "activated" are nice for people as well.

I think a big benefit to it would be making the intersection with Grand River and Library simpler and smaller. It would be better for pedestrians and motorists alike. I think Gratiot should be fully converted to being two way though.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    There's a plaza, presumably with accompanying cafe, planned for the area between the block and tower of the Hudsons site. including Farmer in this would expand that area which is already gonna be used for foot traffic. The other consideration is, if both streets are opened as two-way traffic, that star-point of Farmer/Library/Grand River is gonna be a clusterf** of gridlock, especially when you consider how long the queue is sometimes of cars trying to get into the Z garage there. Pedestrian placemaking aside, it should be a major red flag to the city and DDA already!

Default Hudsons Site

Unfortunately, if they cannot find a way to end the gun violence and multiple shootings in downtown Detroit in the last 24 hours with at least 2 dead and multiple injuries. They can build 10 more buildings like the Hudson's site, but, no one will want to visit much less live there.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    Unfortunately, if they cannot find a way to end the gun violence and multiple shootings in downtown Detroit in the last 24 hours with at least 2 dead and multiple injuries. They can build 10 more buildings like the Hudson's site, but, no one will want to visit much less live there.
    Where in "downtown" do you think this happened? Post a link to a news article.

While downtown is usually very safe, There were at least 3 shootings "Downtown" this weekend. One in Greektown, One on Randolf and one on the riverwalk.

https://www.audacy.com/wwjnewsradio/...wntown-detroit

Default Hudsons Site

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Where in "downtown" do you think this happened? Post a link to a news article.
    According to channel 7 news at 5:00PM this afternoon there were actually 6 shootings in downtown Detroit. One of which includes the killing of the security guard in the Greek Town store on Monroe. Why is there so much readiness to shoot people. This situation is not just happening in Detroit it is happening all across our country. What is so wrong with society that there is so much hate involved here. Willingness to shoot innocent children is the most shameful act of all. It is sad the level of violence that has been reached in American society,

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    None of this has anything to do with the Hudson Site. Go make a new thread about this crap.

here's a fresh perspective, from this afternoon. i'm really liking the look of the facade on both buildings so far
    Name:  IMG_7406.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  155.5 KB