Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 112 of 143 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 122 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 3565

Yeah. For sure they skimped on safety etc. building the ES building. Now days we'd have to put in an order to China for the steel and hope some pending politic didn't stop/ delay the delivery all together.

Having said that, with our modern safety procedures/ engineering this construction is very slow for many reasons discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I know we're off topic somewhat but there are some excellent documentaries on the Empire construction. The owner really put the pressure on to rush completion. It was fascinating what was done. Steel would be forged in Pennsylvania and rushed overnight to the site. Workers burned their hands installing it because it was still hot.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-10-22 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah. For sure they skimped on safety etc. building the ES building. Now days we'd have to put in an order to China for the steel and hope some pending politic didn't stop/ delay the delivery all together.

Having said that, with our modern safety procedures/ engineering this construction is very slow for many reasons discussed.

You don’t need to go that far. The New World Trade Center’s steel structural elements were all made in suburban Montreal’s ADF steel fabricators plant.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I know we're off topic somewhat but there are some excellent documentaries on the Empire construction. The owner really put the pressure on to rush completion. It was fascinating what was done. Steel would be forged in Pennsylvania and rushed overnight to the site. Workers burned their hands installing it because it was still hot.
    I think the 53% hiring of Detroiters rule had a hand in prolonging this project. It probably was and still is a difficult time finding qualified people in the city who are qualified to do the task.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I think the 53% hiring of Detroiters rule had a hand in prolonging this project. It probably was and still is a difficult time finding qualified people in the city who are qualified to do the task.
    I'm pretty sure you can just opt to fund a training program if you can't find qualified workers, I can't imagine they wouldn't have just done that if they really had that hard of a time finding workers.

Looks like they have some brackets up that could be for windows on the block.

Anyone with construction experience care to speculate when we may see glass?

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Keep moving those goalposts!
    It really is getting ridiculous with these people.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can just opt to fund a training program if you can't find qualified workers, I can't imagine they wouldn't have just done that if they really had that hard of a time finding workers.
    Were not the Illitches fined for not having enough Detroiters working on the LCA site? What company have the time to wait until people go through training classes then start construction. Many companies want to find a city where they could hit the ground running. I agree with training programs but these programs should already be taught in some of these public schools for young students who don't want to go into the STEM program.

Were not the Illitches fined for not having enough Detroiters working on the LCA site? What company have the time to wait until people go through training classes then start construction. Many companies want to find a city where they could hit the ground running. I agree with training programs but these programs should already be taught in some of these public schools for young students who don't want to go into the STEM program.
    I think you're misunderstanding, the fines go to funding a training program. They can pay the fine to fund a training program and then go about their build with whatever makeup of workers.

I think you're misunderstanding, the fines go to funding a training program. They can pay the fine to fund a training program and then go about their build with whatever makeup of workers.
    That's fine and dandy for local developers who will go along with that but national or international companies who are looking for another spot to put a satellite company would bypass Detroit such as Amazon and the United States Army had done and go somewhere else

That's fine and dandy for local developers who will go along with that but national or international companies who are looking for another spot to put a satellite company would bypass Detroit such as Amazon and the United States Army had done and go somewhere else
    The US Army probably wouldn't have been subject to these because they would not have been receiving tax incentives. Any company is free to build here and hiring whoever they want, but if you want free money from the City, you have to play by the rules. Seems fair.

Also, both the Army and Amazon cited issues with livability, transportation, and infrastructure. Neither noted any issue with the CBO or hiring Detroiters, so I'm not really sure what you are referring to.
    Last edited by JonWylie; April-12-22 at 09:24 AM.

The US Army probably wouldn't have been subject to these because they would not have been receiving tax incentives...
    Besides that, the US Army is an agency of the Federal Government, and ultimately the Federal Government's rules supersede the rules of local municipalities.

You've stated another theory that lines up with the other conspiracy-esque theories you've tossed about and now you are grasping to make it stick. Amazon was never going to come here because they were harvesting data and had already decided on being near DC. Blaming a resident requirement for them now choosing Detroit is asinine.

So based on the most recently uploaded rendering on bedrock's site, which shows the site from Library/Grand River at street level, it looks like there might be a pedestrian plaza between the Hudson buildings and the Detroit Public Library [[while older renderings show Farmer Street restored and running through).

is there any word on this? would the city be down with knocking out Farmer Street to make it a more walkable and connected area? i'm often down on Library St. and the traffic seems to have adjusted fine without that stretch of Farmer St. I'd love to see the the garden around the Library expanded/integrated into the Hudson block with a Campus Martius style urban plaza right there.
    Name:  hudson park.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  108.9 KB

Good catch!

I don't remember the exact language used, but before that road was described as being modified for valet. Presumably the Gratiot side would still be open and have a driveway, but if they completely pedestrianized the Grand River side that would be great.

One awkward, anti-pedestrian, anti-car intersection down, a few hundred left to go.

Edit: Actually looking closer you can still see cars, and what looks like the curb, in the rendering. It looks like the funny slip lane thing is removed and maybe the street is narrowed, but otherwise the street is still there. It still looks like a big improvement over what is there now though.
    Last edited by Jason; April-13-22 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    So based on the most recently uploaded rendering on bedrock's site, which shows the site from Library/Grand River at street level, it looks like there might be a pedestrian plaza between the Hudson buildings and the Detroit Public Library [[while older renderings show Farmer Street restored and running through).
    What site? That's an older render when the tower had a taller height. They just uploaded that?

That rendering is still on Bedrock's main site, but I think its been there for a while. Although no one caught the plaza area when that image first showed up, so I think it's interesting.

EDIT: The date in the bottom right says 2018.
    Last edited by EGrant; April-13-22 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    What site? That's an older render when the tower had a taller height. They just uploaded that?
    it's just the bedrock site for the project, which currently has 4 images. last time i checked it there were 3 images, and this was the one added. but with the 2018 date in the corner, they're probably from the same set.

wonder if they're keeping it ambiguous on purpose cuz they haven't decided what exactly to do with it? i guess it's no rush..

Maybe Bedrock read your post kuuma, and wanted to clarify:

Gilbert's Hudson's tower to get Edition hotel concept by Studio 54 founder

It's paywalled, but essentially an Edition Hotel, which is part of Marriot, is coming to the Hudson Building. There are other Edition Hotels in Miami Beach, New York City and West Hollywood.

Here's the New York Edition's website; the cheapest room for next weekend was almost $1,000 per night, so this is an upscale hotel to say the least.

It's paywalled, but essentially an Edition Hotel, which is part of Marriot, is coming to the Hudson Building. There are other Edition Hotels in Miami Beach, New York City and West Hollywood.

Here's the New York Edition's website; the cheapest room for next weekend was almost $1,000 per night, so this is an upscale hotel to say the least.
    Excellent news! Seems like a solid brand. As much as I'll never stay there, happy to hear they found a hotel tenant and it really should be a high end one.

this is cool, of course way over my personal budget but as an ex new yorker i'm aware of the brand. and with the Studio 54 founder involved i wonder if they'll have a say in the black box events space that's supposed to happen in the block building? would be sick to have a S54 inspired club music space right there !!

Final nail in the coffin for the Hudson site conspiracy truther trolls. What will these losers do with their time now?

Very cool. I was hoping for a classic 5 diamond flag like Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton or even a Hyatt [[4 diamond). Never looked at the Edition brand.

I am glad that the tower will finally have a tenant. The Block should be completed by summer of 2023 with tenants lining to move in. What will the name of the complex be? It would be name if someone purchase the rights to the Gudson name and open a small Hudsons store inside the Block that will sell male and female casual apparel

It will be a nice building. I like the final evoke which is a pomo slant on some of my favorite bldgs like Rockefeller Center in NYC. Great addition to the Detroit skyline.

Detroit has such a beautiful clean downtown. Love watching frankai on YouTube. This will be a really nice new building for the city. Great news about the hotel component. Maybe locals know the market better than I do but do you see this thing getting booked a lot?? I mean, that's a prestigious hotel brand. So happy for DG and Detroit. Hopefully the joe Louis site will get more than just the 24 story apartment tower or whatever it going up at the moment. Good start. I'm liking what's going on in Detroit. Any news on that target store?
    Last edited by Dmberko11; April-17-22 at 04:53 PM.