Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 77 of 143 FirstFirst ... 27 67 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 87 127 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 3565

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Some office space could always be converted to residential. The whole WFH is likely to gain steam now simply because this situation proves it can work for a lot of jobs, and frankly because a lot of workers want it.

That being said, the COVID situation will go away at some point. And when it does, urban living and lifestyle will return. There is a growing number of people who prefer the walkable urban lifestyle. And many of those people may choose to WFH, while still residing in greater downtown. For that reason, long term I would bet more on the residential space and less on the office space demand. And even if the current office space is held equal, there is still plenty of room for growth long term for residential.
    Very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post

That being said, the COVID situation will go away at some point. And when it does, urban living and lifestyle will return. There is a growing number of people who prefer the walkable urban lifestyle. And many of those people may choose to WFH, while still residing in greater downtown. For that reason, long term I would bet more on the residential space and less on the office space demand. And even if the current office space is held equal, there is still plenty of room for growth long term for residential.
    This is so far off its laughable. People are already leaving New York city in droves. Most wont be back. If Detroit has any asset its all of the open acreage for building! The new world will look much different.
    Last edited by Wheels; May-25-20 at 11:54 AM.

People are not leaving NYC in droves other then the population decline they were already having before covid-19, give me a break.

People have the memory of a goldfish and already don't pay attention/dont care about the stay at home order.

Right now as I type there are many many idiots partying together at the sand bar on the lakes

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It was fortunate for Bedrock they didn't try to move forward with Monroe Block simultaneously. Nobody knows if this work-from-home thing will become a trend enough to influence a significant portion of office demand.
    If companies do shift a meaningful amount of workers to remote work, I think they are likely to trade space for a better address. So companies in big suburban office parks would probably trade up to a smaller footprint in a more expensive location. If I'm right that would make the Monroe Block a really good bet for Bedrock.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    People are not leaving NYC in droves other then the population decline they were already having before covid-19, give me a break.

People have the memory of a goldfish and already don't pay attention/dont care about the stay at home order.

Right now as I type there are many many idiots partying together at the sand bar on the lakes
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rmanently.html

Wake up and smell the roses!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    This is not news, nor is it insightful. People are always leaving NYC, and they are replaced by people moving into NYC. NYC's population has never been static.

The other part of the WFH movement that is being overlooked is that it is not always an all-or-nothing for all jobs.

As in, many workplaces may institute a 2 or 3 day WFH allowance, with the expectation that you still come to the office one or two days a week. In those situations, office space is still needed, though WeWork type offices may become more financially appealing in such situations.

It looks like they are moving right along. The footings/base are becoming clearer. I'm really looking forward for it to breach the sidewalk and start reaching up towards the sky !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjN3eAoX9N4

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    It looks like they are moving right along. The footings/base are becoming clearer. I'm really looking forward for it to breach the sidewalk and start reaching up towards the sky !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjN3eAoX9N4
    Not sure what the issue is with this caisson hole, but they have been drilling this one in particular for what seems like 4-5 days. At this rate they may get done by Christmas. Maybe the new Gordie Howe Bridge which is projected to be completed in 2024 will be completed before the Hudson site complex. What does that mean "the footings are becoming clearer?"
    Last edited by bigboat; May-28-20 at 05:37 AM.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...second-tallest

Will be interesting to see what exactly this means

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    This is so far off its laughable. People are already leaving New York city in droves. Most wont be back. If Detroit has any asset its all of the open acreage for building! The new world will look much different.
    For what its worth I dont think the "new world" will look much different at all after some time passes.
    I was originally supposed to start mechanical work in that building last sept. Hopefully it will start sometime soon. At this time it looks like they will be about a year off the original schedule.
    Last edited by abraham; May-31-20 at 07:06 PM.

Default Hudsons Site

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    Not sure what the issue is with this caisson hole, but they have been drilling this one in particular for what seems like 4-5 days. At this rate they may get done by Christmas. Maybe the new Gordie Howe Bridge which is projected to be completed in 2024 will be completed before the Hudson site complex. What does that mean "the footings are becoming clearer?"
    Watching the YouTube video from June 1st, I saw the large red crane move a smaller rebar cage from the east wall to the tower pit so that movement has to have some significance to it. I continue to wonder why there still is absolutely no activity on the tower portion yet. It looked like they where ready to do something with it when the caissons were all exposed 4 months ago. Anyone with any clues?

Seems pretty obvious to me that they are going to drill all of the caissons first before any vertical construction. They are almost done with the drilling; they've had to finish the area that was previously the stagging ground in the middle of the site. It looks like they've had a bit of trouble in this part of the site, which wouldn't be a surprise as they've hit underground obstructions on other parts of the site.

But it's pretty clear they are almost done with the drilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    But it's pretty clear they are almost done with the drilling.
    Pretty sure I saw this post a year ago. Or maybe it was 2 years ago?

I mean, they've literally run out of other places to drill on-site. At least a quarter of the site has already gone vertical and another quarter or more of it is the clearly visible tower footprint.

I'd laugh, but I just don't think it's funny, anymore. If anyone thinks that Gilbert is spending millions of dollars to drill 150 piles 140-feet below Woodward for shits-and-giggles, well, that's on your guys. ¯\_[[ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by Dexlin; June-02-20 at 10:55 PM.

I mean, they've literally run out of other places to drill on-site. At least a quarter of the site has already gone vertical and another quarter or more of it is the clearly visible tower footprint.

I'd laugh, but I just don't think it's funny, anymore. If anyone thinks that Gilbert is spending millions of dollars to drill 150 piles 140-feet below Woodward for shits-and-giggles, well, that's on your guys. ¯\_[[ツ)_/¯
    BUT.... isn't that similar to what the city did in 2000 when they spent $40M to build the underground parking garage and set up columns to support a 15-18 story building? It's all going to be about whether the projected revenue can cover the current costs. If not, you better believe Gilbert will finish the foundation and then mothball it until the time is right. And the time will be right sometime if not now.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisianLesion View Post
    BUT.... isn't that similar to what the city did in 2000 when they spent $40M to build the underground parking garage and set up columns to support a 15-18 story building? It's all going to be about whether the projected revenue can cover the current costs. If not, you better believe Gilbert will finish the foundation and then mothball it until the time is right. And the time will be right sometime if not now.
    This comes back to my original thought that they should have just built the 20 story building on the Hudson garage and went bigger on the Monroe site. I feel like that would have saved a lot of time and money.

I'm over this whole project, 3 to 4 years of caisson drilling. This is a joke. No solid plan and now only 600 ft or so....smh. Super over it. It will be another 4 years before it's done. 8 years for a whopping 600 ft or so building. Typical Detroit...great statement we're making.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I'm over this whole project, 3 to 4 years of caisson drilling. This is a joke. No solid plan and now only 600 ft or so....smh. Super over it. It will be another 4 years before it's done. 8 years for a whopping 600 ft or so building. Typical Detroit...great statement we're making.
    Bye

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Bye
    I don't need your approval. Bye

On behalf of bedrock we would like to issue an apology to Gthomas on Detroityes.com for not constructing a fucking skyscraper as fast as he would like.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    On behalf of bedrock we would like to issue an apology to Gthomas on Detroityes.com for not constructing a fucking skyscraper as fast as he would like.
    No need for obscenities like that. Don’t understand why people on here have to attack one another like they do. The tower will get built. If you’re impatient then don’t check its status daily, I certainly don’t. Check in every now and then. While I too am mystified why they’re drilling so many caissons for the structure that will be built there and why it’s taking so long...I don’t have the answers. Maybe with the firm from Chicago that’s partnering with Bedrock to offer support will get the ball rolling.

What happened gthomas? You were once one of the "over the top" Detroit boosters on this site [[almost at Metro level). Watch out for some of the newer posters. Civility is dying all around us.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisianLesion View Post
    Huh? No, that is not what is being done. They expressly built a parking garage to generate revenue with any future development as the afterthought. There was never any project proposed other than a parking garage.

What's currently being built couldn't operate as a stand-alone garage, as it's specialized for the particular development above. Part of the guts of the bloc and tower are being built into the garage.

I mean, one can argue that perhaps this will keep getting downscaled, but you can't argue with even the most basic knowledge of what's being constructed that Gilbert is building a stand-alone parking garage on the site.

Huh? No, that is not what is being done. They expressly built a parking garage to generate revenue with any future development as the afterthought. There was never any project proposed other than a parking garage.

What's currently being built couldn't operate as a stand-alone garage, as it's specialized for the particular development above. Part of the guts of the bloc and tower are being built into the garage.

I mean, one can argue that perhaps this will keep getting downscaled, but you can't argue with even the most basic knowledge of what's being constructed that Gilbert is building a stand-alone parking garage on the site.
    Hence the word "similar." I'm not saying that he's going to build a garage, I'm saying that just because he has completed millions of dollars in caissons and foundations doesn't mean he must put a tower on top of it. If the economics no longer work out, there's nothing stopping him from mothballing the project and capping it. Probably more likely however is that he builds a smaller [[maybe MUCH smaller) structure with the ability to build it up higher later... ala Compuware building and the BC garage.

Page 77 of 143 FirstFirst ... 27 67 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 87 127 ... LastLast