Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

One of the last properties in the once-mighty MPRG. Now, aside from a few specialty ethnic eateries, they're down to Novi Chophouse? And it only took almost 15 years to get here.

Fact is, Epicurean was trying to do surf and turf at the worst possible time to do a steakhouse. Where those corporate accounts might have put them over the top a decade ago, all that's gone.

Truth is, they'll probably make a lot more money having small plates and a revamped bar. Any wise owner would refit the place and turn the restaurant level around to face Detroit, not Canada. That was such a 1990s idea.

Now, you watch: In 10 years, it'll be a hip throwback to have a steakhouse, and only a few places will be ready to capitalize on it: Weber's, Mr. Paul's, Clawson.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    One of the last properties in the once-mighty MPRG. Now, aside from a few specialty ethnic eateries, they're down to Novi Chophouse? And it only took almost 15 years to get here.

Fact is, Epicurean was trying to do surf and turf at the worst possible time to do a steakhouse. Where those corporate accounts might have put them over the top a decade ago, all that's gone.

Truth is, they'll probably make a lot more money having small plates and a revamped bar. Any wise owner would refit the place and turn the restaurant level around to face Detroit, not Canada. That was such a 1990s idea.

Now, you watch: In 10 years, it'll be a hip throwback to have a steakhouse, and only a few places will be ready to capitalize on it: Weber's, Mr. Paul's, Clawson.
    Anyone remember the name of the place prior to Coach Insignia?

Quote Originally Posted by clubboss View Post
    Anyone remember the name of the place prior to Coach Insignia?
    The Summit. Fond childhood memories. Though they are all from before I knew anything about food.

The best thing about that place was the rotating floor and the view. Unless they have a very good reason not to they need to bring the rotating floor back.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    The Summit. Fond childhood memories. Though they are all from before I knew anything about food.

The best thing about that place was the rotating floor and the view. Unless they have a very good reason not to they need to bring the rotating floor back.
    Sorry, just one more question, would you know if The Summit the original restaurant to open in that spot? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clubboss View Post
    Sorry, just one more question, would you know if The Summit the original restaurant to open in that spot? thanks
    I think so but I"m not old enough to say for sure. My earliest memories of The Summit are from around 1980 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I think so but I"m not old enough to say for sure. My earliest memories of The Summit are from around 1980 or so.
    1980 is good, thanks again.