Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    WHICH IS THE STRESSED SYLLABLE?

LA-fi-et
    la-FI-et
    la-fi-ET

La-Fi-et doesn't tell me anything!
    Whoa, speaking of stressed...

la fee ET for me.

I think I've used all pronunciations interchangeably over the years depending on how fast I was speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    English [[or Michigan) and French pronunciation are different to each other.

I pronounce it Luh-Fay-Ett, even if that's wrong.

In any case, there are streets passing through/past the Lafayette area whose names I struggled more with than Lafayette itself:

Antietam Street [[Ann-Tee-Tum) and Gratiot Avenue [[Grah-Shuht).

And I always pronounced Chene Street as 'Cheen' until I overheard someone call it 'Shayn'.

PS. Wherever you're from, Michigan is always pronounced 'Mishigan', LOL.
    Don't forget Lasher, which should be La-sir [[Lahser)

Maybe its a matter of how you pronounce the first syllable. Does it sound like "LOt" or "LAugh". If the former, I would expect more emphasis on the last syllable. If the laterr, then more emphasis on the first syllable. My 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Do you know when and why the name was changed?

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth and EastsideAl
    Thank you for that little tribute [[at least I think it was a tribute). The name change history of East Lafayette is a bit strange [[I think W. Lafayette was always called Lafayette). As far as i can tell from old maps, etc. the street was originally named Lafayette. Sometime around 1890 the street's name was changed to Champlain, for reasons unknown. In the 1910s though [[different sources have it as 1914, 1918, or 1920), again for reasons unknown, the name was changed back to E. Lafayette.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-01-17 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by waz View Post
    Maybe its a matter of how you pronounce the first syllable. Does it sound like "LOt" or "LAugh". If the former, I would expect more emphasis on the last syllable. If the laterr, then more emphasis on the first syllable. My 2c.
    Good point. Both La and fa are pronounced like "laugh".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2