Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    I thought that the restaurants and gas station had real-time surveillance cameras and when a robbery is seen on screen the police are dispatched. I swear there needs to be a "panic" button at every retail counter, just press the button for the police. Like the emergency call buttons on campus.
    It's called the "Green Light" program, where your business is monitored 24/7 by the police. I hear it's been pretty effective in deterring crime. Only drawback you have to pay for the equipment to be installed, and it's very expensive I heard. Probably why a lot business owners aren't wired up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    It's called the "Green Light" program, where your business is monitored 24/7 by the police. I hear it's been pretty effective in deterring crime. Only drawback you have to pay for the equipment to be installed, and it's very expensive I heard. Probably why a lot business owners aren't wired up to it.
    It’s not a pricy as it was, Comcast stepped up last fall and agreed to help offset the initial costs of the equipment. The costs are still far from free. Also, for the record, from my travels, those green light businesses are few and far between. On Greenfield for example, from Warren, all the way up to 8 mile, I’ve seen one business touting the green light – the light is fairly obvious.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...gram/90006094/

Yeah, a loose burger tends to get looser!

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    Nothing good happens at Coney Islands in Detroit past 10pm. I repeat, nothing good happens at Coney Islands in Detroit past 10pm.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-20-17 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    According to the news, its not gang violence but a thug violence. I wonder Dan Gilbert knows about this problem in his territory?
    Call it gang violence or thug violence, that's what is shutting down Macy's/ Eastland Shopping Mall, not " poor management".

According to the news, its not gang violence but a thug violence. I wonder Dan Gilbert knows about this problem in his territory?

sorry Danny since he doesn't own the buildings no camera'a

Gang - noun - an organized group of criminals.
    Gang – verb - several people form a group or gang.

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    Call it gang violence or thug violence, that's what is shutting down Macy's/ Eastland Shopping Mall, not " poor management".
    It isn't "gang violence". That's a lurid headline meant to serve the cartoonish preconceptions of dummy suburbanites who think inner city black people are animals and downtown is a dangerous war zone.

I saw a violent brawl in a suburban Coney Island a couple years back, and no news coverage. I wonder why? And places like Eastland aren't dying because of "gangs" or even "thugs"; it's because those are old, crappy malls, with dying retail concepts, in marginal/declining locations and poor demographics. Eastland would be fine if this were a booming metro like LA or NYC or DC, gangs or no gangs.

Quote Originally Posted by clubboss View Post
    It’s not a pricy as it was, Comcast stepped up last fall and agreed to help offset the initial costs of the equipment. The costs are still far from free. Also, for the record, from my travels, those green light businesses are few and far between. On Greenfield for example, from Warren, all the way up to 8 mile, I’ve seen one business touting the green light – the light is fairly obvious.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...gram/90006094/
    Really? They're very common over here. Pretty much every gas station and liquor store along Jefferson has one of these lights out front.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Read the Real story! These THUGS were harassing women and one of the employees stepped in like a real man and tried to stop this. This shit happens everywhere. Also to one of you posters, the owner is a FEMALE Grace Keros not a man.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...tery/96741466/

Thanks for that link. That at least explains the nature of the beef between these idiots and the waiter. The employees are to to be commended then for their actions. I hope they find these fools and prosecute them, particularly the asshole who fires a gun into a restaurant, and I hope that the waiter who was shot has a full recovery.

It's almost enough to make me go eat at American next time I'm over there.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Thanks for that link. That at least explains the nature of the beef between these idiots and the waiter. The employees are to to be commended then for their actions. I hope they find these fools and prosecute them, particularly the asshole who fires a gun into a restaurant, and I hope that the waiter who was shot has a full recovery.

Ditto on what he said.....

Right now Detroit does not have a gang problem. But a thug and hoodlum problem. Recognizable gangs had faded out the Detroit's ghetto hoods in the last 20 years. Thanks to lack of good neighborhoods, gentrification and new crime preventing technology from the police force. All it's left is common thievery, rapes and selling drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The problem is Project Greenlight is just police monitoring, not setting a "human trap" to catch crooks in the act. If you want security for your business rent a cop, get a gun and don't work alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    It isn't "gang violence". That's a lurid headline meant to serve the cartoonish preconceptions of dummy suburbanites who think inner city black people are animals and downtown is a dangerous war zone.

I saw a violent brawl in a suburban Coney Island a couple years back, and no news coverage. I wonder why? And places like Eastland aren't dying because of "gangs" or even "thugs"; it's because those are old, crappy malls, with dying retail concepts, in marginal/declining locations and poor demographics. Eastland would be fine if this were a booming metro like LA or NYC or DC, gangs or no gangs.
    Interesting. When's the last time you had an American coney, or bought something @ Eastland, Bham?

Bham has a point about news bias. Popular media tends to identify thuggery as thuggery only when it comes from a demographic that reinforces the popular bias about who thugs are.

That said, Eastland was my mall until I left the area. My mom still lives there, and Eastland is her mall no longer. And Eastland is now what it is because so many kids hang out there looking for trouble.

Or you could save 20 or 30 cents per hot dog and eat at Duly's. Parking is better too.

Really? They're very common over here. Pretty much every gas station and liquor store along Jefferson has one of these lights out front.
    http://www.greenlightdetroit.org/ - the FAQ also has costs.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    http://www.greenlightdetroit.org/ - the FAQ also has costs.
    Thanks for the link. There's a map of participants at Partnering Businesses.

And places like Eastland aren't dying because of "gangs" or even "thugs"; it's because those are old, crappy malls, with dying retail concepts, in marginal/declining locations and poor demographics. Eastland would be fine if this were a booming metro like LA or NYC or DC, gangs or no gangs.
    Eastland was doing OK until people started getting shot and carjacked in the parking lot.

Source: A friend who was the judge whose district covered Eastland.

^^^ Yep, if people don't feel safe they will tend to go elsewhere. Unless captive audience: no means to go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Eastland was doing OK until people started getting shot and carjacked in the parking lot.

Source: A friend who was the judge whose district covered Eastland.
    But that isn't the fundamental reason Eastland failed.

Eastland failed because it's an old mall, with bad anchors, in an undesirable, declining location, with falling incomes. Note that basically all the first generation Metro Detroit malls have failed, gangs or no gangs. Tel Twelve Mall failed in Southfield, and there were no major crime issues [[and Tel Twelve is on the nicer side of Southfield, closer to Bloomfield than to 8 Mile). Same with Wonderland and Livonia Malls, Universal Mall, Summit Place Mall, and to some extent, Westland, Southland, Oakland and Macomb Malls [[not failed but failing). The main issue is that the demographics suck.

There are malls in LA with 100x the gang issues of anywhere in Detroit, yet the malls aren't failing, because the demographics are attractive [[growing populations of striving immigrants). Eastland's failure is one of market deterioration, not gangs or thugs per se. If 100,000 Mexicans or Syrians moved to South Macomb or East Side Detroit then Eastland would survive [[good luck with that happening under the Trumpenfuhrer).
    Last edited by Bham1982; January-27-17 at 10:37 AM.

But that isn't the fundamental reason Eastland failed.

Eastland failed because it's an old mall, with bad anchors, in an undesirable, declining location, with falling incomes. Note that basically all the first generation Metro Detroit malls have failed, gangs or no gangs. Tel Twelve Mall failed in Southfield, and there were no major crime issues [[and Tel Twelve is on the nicer side of Southfield, closer to Bloomfield than to 8 Mile). Same with Wonderland and Livonia Malls, Universal Mall, Summit Place Mall, and to some extent, Westland, Southland, Oakland and Macomb Malls [[not failed but failing). The main issue is that the demographics suck.

There are malls in LA with 100x the gang issues of anywhere in Detroit, yet the malls aren't failing, because the demographics are attractive [[growing populations of striving immigrants). Eastland's failure is one of market deterioration, not gangs or thugs per se. If 100,000 Mexicans or Syrians moved to South Macomb or East Side Detroit then Eastland would survive [[good luck with that happening under the Trumpenfuhrer).
    I believe you are correct, and I doubt any anchor store - let alone an entire mall - would close due to a few malcontents wearing their pants down around their knees, shooting at each other in the parking lots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2