Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Teach Me About Current-Day Del Ray

Was hoping some on here could enlighten me about the Del Ray neighborhood?

Recently spent some time driving around the neighborhood for the first time in years. Since then I've done quite a bit of reading online about its history, but not much about current state of the area other than articles discussing the new bridge being built through the neighborhood and the high pollution levels.

Was hoping some DetroitYes members could provide further insight? The neighborhood appears to be very quiet and desolate in areas - are any particular areas of the neighborhood dangerous [[ie along Dearborn or Livernois)? Has the small number of residents along with the difficult conditions created a united, close-knit community in the neighborhood? I noticed several businesses and establishments still in the area - which ones are hubs of the community/would you recommend checking out? Etc.

I think it's essentially gone at this point. Mix of poor whites and Hispanics hanging on to the last homes. I doubt it's particularly dangerous, as it's mostly empty.