Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

They say Duggan is going to announce a run for re-election next month....http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...term_this_year

Aside from the young woman that Metro Times did an article on recently, who else is running?

There need to be debates, televised and on radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    And I think any "race" pretty much ended right there.

I think many black candidates will cancel each other out and Duggin wins easily unless he wants to run for Governor.

interesting that Sheriff Napoleon endorses him now, and he ran against him 4 years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    interesting that Sheriff Napoleon endorses him now, and he ran against him 4 years back.
    Also interesting is his view on the last election, saying that it never got dirty.

Coleman Young Jr. in the race is--- potentially, leading to another wild, fractious campaign.
    You will have those who [[mostly in non-Detroit areas) who will be unforgivably skeptical because of family ties/name.
    You will have those who [[mostly in Detroit/black enclaves of suburbia) who may be relatively uncritical because of family ties/name.
    You have certain city residents who, metaphorically speaking, have wanted C.A. Young’s ghost to run the city since his death. They may be in for a rude awakening.
    The fiscal reality for Detroit 2017-18 is dramatically different from the fiscal reality for Detroit circa 1975, 1980, 1985, even 1990.
    Large-scale manufacturing—certainly regarding Ford/Chrysler/GM-- isn’t coming back to the city proper. A heck of a lot more needs to be done to encourage a wider array of industries to set up shop here: knowledge-based, smaller manufacturing, whatever.
    Young Jr. needs to be completely up front with a specific plan to address neighborhood issues, e.g., encouraging more storefront redevelopment with a wider array of small businesses. It can’t be all about liquor stores, hair/beauty supplies, or even cell phone stores.
    I doubt if he’ll have much critical to say about Chief Craig.
    There should be more done to ensure wi-fi access is available to low income families. A public-private partnership of some kind: Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, etc.
    There should be a plan to address what needs to happen with the city airport.
    More needs to be done to improve public parks in the city. Belle Isle is more or less taken care of now.

Coleman Young jr is the first contender to enter, although it's 95% on name alone. I have seen him have some fire here and there in interviews but he is no CAY.

Detroiters are notorious for voting on name recognition only. Coleman A Young, Jr., stands a very good chance of becoming Detroit's next new Mayor. No matter how much Duggan has done for the City.

Duggin would benefit greatly in a endorsement from a friend of his, President Obama. A campaign event or two about the importance of keeping the momentum rolling and not starting a new administration now and the learning curve that comes with it would be helpful.

Im sensing Detroit hasnt learned its lesson yet...

Calltoaction Guest

God no, anyone with that last name needs to stay the fuck away from the city.

Didn't he change his name to CAY, Jr.? Ergo so he could get elected...am I thinking of someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Didn't he change his name to CAY, Jr.? Ergo so he could get elected...am I thinking of someone else?
    Same person. His previous experience, prior to being elected State Rep, was working @ a Dairy Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Same person. His previous experience, prior to being elected State Rep, was working @ a Dairy Queen.
    Just when things were starting to finally turn around in city government... sadly I worry the name alone may get him enough votes. I know I shouldn't judge him by his father, but he hasn't accomplished anything to have set himself apart. So please no no no.

Calltoaction Guest

It's been 24 years, does the younger voting generation of Detroiters even know or care who Coleman Young was? What about all the new white voters living in the city, I'm sure they'll only vote for Duggan.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    A DQ? Well things are looking up. Throw that in with the Subway than he has experience in making sandwiches AND soft serve ice cream.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; February-20-17 at 05:58 PM.

Saw him on tv yesterday and he's definately going for the angry black vote. Who knows, he could win.

Quote Originally Posted by Calltoaction View Post
    It's been 24 years, does the younger voting generation of Detroiters even know or care who Coleman Young was? What about all the new white voters living in the city, I'm sure they'll only vote for Duggan.
    CAYs name still reigns high to many black Detroiters, Blacks think of him as a savior and white's think of him as the devil. He was neither, main problem is that he was in the position for too long. After his first 3 terms he most should have been gone for sure. The city is still 80% African American, so I don't know how big the white vote will be in the city. The ministry still is number one followed by the business community in terms of votes and financial/organization power. Young Jr will try to utilize the down and dirty people like Mongo/Riddle to rile up the disenfranchised.

Calltoaction Guest

The man destroyed many communities in the city with his obsessive use of eminent domain and urban renewal, the devil is an accurate term to describe him.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    CAYs name still reigns high to many black Detroiters, Blacks think of him as a savior and white's think of him as the devil. He was neither, main problem is that he was in the position for too long. After his first 3 terms he most should have been gone for sure. The city is still 80% African American, so I don't know how big the white vote will be in the city. The ministry still is number one followed by the business community in terms of votes and financial/organization power. Young Jr will try to utilize the down and dirty people like Mongo/Riddle to rile up the disenfranchised.
    We think of him a savior? Thank for insight the about what us blacks really think

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    We think of him a savior? Thank for insight the about what us blacks really think
    Should have put many and it's in the context of politicians, sort of like how many republicans feel about Reagan. If you do not think this is pretty accurate, well you spent too much time up in East Lansing

... so where do you pick up the forms to run for a city office?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast