Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

It needs to by a SKYTRAIN instead of tran. Similar to Vancouver or torontos systems, which use the same people mover cars.

Quote Originally Posted by MicrosoftFan View Post
    It needs to by a SKYTRAIN instead of tran. Similar to Vancouver or torontos systems, which use the same people mover cars.
    Toronto has a subway. Vancouver's system is an automated heavy rail system, probably more like a subway than a People Mover or monorail-type setup.

Vancouver Skytrain does use the same technology as the people mover on its Expo and Millennium line:Expo and Millennium Lines[edit]

The Expo and Millennium Lines use Bombardier's Advanced Rapid Transit [[ART) system, a system of automated trains driven by linear induction motors, formerly known as Intermediate Capacity Transit System [[ICTS). These trains reach speeds of 90 km/h [[56 mph);[84] including wait times at stops, the end-to-end average speed is 45 km/h [[28 mph), three times faster than a bus and almost twice as fast as a B-Line express bus.[85
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyTrain_[[Vancouver)

Toronto has one line that also uses People mover technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Innovia_Metro
    Last edited by ndavies; July-10-17 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    CAY jr just released his plan for the City which includes a skyTran system.....http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...oit/463759001/
    That plan makes me think about how lucky Detroit was when Duggan came along when he did.

So far I have not seen anything regarding a debate which is strange

The latest polls and contribution numbers are in and they all do not look good for anyone trying to defeat the incumbent.....http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ung/104178876/

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Cool! I'm voting for him then.

Young said he plans to fight to restore the city's assets including Belle Isle, and the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department. Young said he also wants to "undo the constitutional breaches triggered by the unconstitutional Emergency Manager Law and the Bankruptcy which defrauded Retiree pensions and city coffers."
    Coleman said, if elected, he would propose the creation of a two-person pod skyTran system, an elevated transit that uses electromagnetic power for personal rapid transit. According to the plan, the system would use Maglev, magnetic levitational energy.
    According to the plan, the NASA Ames Research Center in California has a similar system in place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyTran
    So... Two dead horses and a pie in the sky?

The latest polls and contribution numbers are in and they all do not look good for anyone trying to defeat the incumbent.....http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ung/104178876/
    True, but the poll clearly establishes Junior as the candidate-in-waiting and heir apparent, should anything happen to Duggan [Run for guv? Not run again?]. From May until this poll his percentage has climbed from 23 to 30 percent.

Junior's star is rising. I think he has accomplished all he aimed for -- him an no one esle -- and only a $22K budget.

Duggan led Young 64 percent to 30 percent among 412 Detroit residents likely to vote in the Aug. 8 primary election conducted by Target Insyght and paid for in part by the MIRS political subscription news service. Another 1 percent said they would vote for lesser-known candidates Edward Dean and Donna Marie Pitts and 4 percent were undecided.

The poll was conducted last Tuesday and Thursday...

The polling results come after committee campaign finance filings on Friday revealed Duggan has raised $1.6 million from October to July 23 while Young has pulled in just over $22,000 since February.

“If Coleman doesn’t raise money, he’s not going to make any gains,” said pollster Ed Sarpolus with Target Insyght, who added it’s tough to run a competitive campaign based on what Young has collected.

Duggan’s lead in the latest poll is up from a prior survey conducted by Target Insyght in May that gave him a 55 percent lead over Young’s 23 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    True, but the poll clearly establishes Junior as the candidate-in-waiting and heir apparent, should anything happen to Duggan [Run for guv? No run again?]. From May until this poll his percentage has climbed from 23 to 30 percent.

Junior's star is rising. I think he has accomplished all he aimed for -- him an no one esle -- and only a $22K budget.
    "even though Detroiters are split over whether they have benefited from the city’s resurgence in the last four years, according to a new poll of likely primary voters."

If what was said, about the new insurgence of Detroiters retaining suburban addresses, the mayoral seat is up for grabs. I see more and more CAYJR signs appearing around town. My gut feeling is it's anybody's race.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    True, but the poll clearly establishes Junior as the candidate-in-waiting and heir apparent, should anything happen to Duggan [Run for guv? No run again?]. From May until this poll his percentage has climbed from 23 to 30 percent.

Predicting the future is not easy and political predictions even harder. That said I would disagree with your assessment.

CayJr is the leading candidate NOT Duggan. If the Mayor has even more success in a second term particularly in neighborhood improvements running against him could even be more difficult.

Duggan is well versed in political machines. If he does deside to hang it up to follow other pursuits it would only make sence that he would hand the machine over to someone he endorses.

There are half a dozen on his staff that are qualified by their experience in his administration and posses the people skills to win a election against CayJr. with the simple message of 'the city is heading in the right direction why change it?'

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Government/...Administration
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; August-01-17 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    While we all know these are fringe candidates and do not in any way reflect on the city or its citizens, every newspaper in the country and many around the world are picking up on this story with the exact same headline. It does not exactly help Detroit's image.

^^ And yet it's the truth. A criminal conviction [[that has not been pardoned) should disallow even filing for elected office. One crook should NOT be in the running, let alone several. It DOES say a great deal about how far the city has to go.

I for one thought the 50% felons stat was a positive sign.

"I want a dyke for president. I want a person with AIDS for president and I want a fag for vice president and I want someone with no health insurance and I want someone who grew up in a place where the earth is so saturated with toxic waste that they didn't have a choice about getting leukemia. I want a president that had an abortion at sixteen and I want a candidate who isn't the lesser of two evils and I want a president who lost their last lover to AIDS, who still sees that in their eyes every time they lay down to rest, who held their lover in their arms and knew they were dying. I want a president with no air-conditioning, a president who has stood in line at the clinic, at the DMV, at the welfare office, and has been unemployed and laid off and sexually harassed and gaybashed and deported. I want someone who has spent the night in the tombs and had a cross burned on their lawn and survived rape. I want someone who has been in love and been hurt, who respects sex, who has made mistakes and learned from them. I want a Black woman for president. I want someone with bad teeth and an attitude, someone who has eaten that nasty hospital food, someone who crossdresses and has done drugs and been in therapy. I want someone who has committed civil disobedience. And I want to know why this isn't possible. I want to know why we started learning somewhere down the line that a president is always a clown. Always a john and never a hooker. Always a boss and never a worker. Always a liar, always a thief, and never caught."

Zoe Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    I for one thought the 50% felons stat was a positive sign.

"I want a dyke for president. I want a person with AIDS for president and I want a fag for vice president and I want someone with no health insurance and I want someone who grew up in a place where the earth is so saturated with toxic waste that they didn't have a choice about getting leukemia. I want a president that had an abortion at sixteen and I want a candidate who isn't the lesser of two evils and I want a president who lost their last lover to AIDS, who still sees that in their eyes every time they lay down to rest, who held their lover in their arms and knew they were dying. I want a president with no air-conditioning, a president who has stood in line at the clinic, at the DMV, at the welfare office, and has been unemployed and laid off and sexually harassed and gaybashed and deported. I want someone who has spent the night in the tombs and had a cross burned on their lawn and survived rape. I want someone who has been in love and been hurt, who respects sex, who has made mistakes and learned from them. I want a Black woman for president. I want someone with bad teeth and an attitude, someone who has eaten that nasty hospital food, someone who crossdresses and has done drugs and been in therapy. I want someone who has committed civil disobedience. And I want to know why this isn't possible. I want to know why we started learning somewhere down the line that a president is always a clown. Always a john and never a hooker. Always a boss and never a worker. Always a liar, always a thief, and never caught."

Zoe Leonard
    Good post. A lot of food for thought there.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^ And yet it's the truth. A criminal conviction [[that has not been pardoned) should disallow even filing for elected office. One crook should NOT be in the running, let alone several. It DOES say a great deal about how far the city has to go.
    I know the one guy was a kid at the time basically and it was a non-violent crime. I think the book the scarlet letter teaches a lesson here about branding people for life.

I know the one guy was a kid at the time basically and it was a non-violent crime. I think the book the scarlet letter teaches a lesson here about branding people for life.
    Yeah but in Hawthorne's story the "victim" that was branded accepted the responsibility of her actions proudly and knew that she would be treated at arms length. She just dealt with it and didn't expect people to hold her in the same esteem as others.

There are legal means to make amends and apply for a Pardon. And there are other legitimate ways to make a living that don't involve public trust and integrity. [[Yeah, I know politics ... trust ... integrity ... Haha)

Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Yeah but in Hawthorne's story the "victim" that was branded accepted the responsibility of her actions proudly and knew that she would be treated at arms length. She just dealt with it and didn't expect people to hold her in the same esteem as others.
    Well after they can't find a job or if they got caught w drugs can't get any govt grants or school loans, we should probably just sentence them to death after of course they serve their time and pay the fines.

Well after they can't find a job or if they got caught w drugs can't get any govt grants or school loans, we should probably just sentence them to death after of course they serve their time and pay the fines.
    They get the opportunity for school in the joint. I believe there are also assistance programs for them once they get paroled.
    We don't have to reward them by giving them political power over the money pot.

If you're advocating death sentences for theft crimes, that's your prerogative. Personally I'm tired of electing crooks to public office.

The DWSD was an empire stretching far, far away from Detroit.

Many in metro Detroit suburbs get water from Lake Huron,
    - via a 72 inch diameter DWSD water pipe,
    not from Lake St Clair and not the Detroit River !!!!
    https://redrundrain.files.wordpress....uron-water.jpg
    http://voiceofdetroit.net/wp-content...-plan_0004.jpg

It never "belonged" to the residents of Detroit, it just existed,
    as a service utility to the masses, far and wide.

Junior Coleman is full of doggy doo, concerning restoring assets.
    People need to understand where the drinking water comes from.......

Belle Isle exists for all Michigan to enjoy - not just Detroiters
    Last edited by O3H; August-05-17 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    The DWSD was an empire stretching far, far away from Detroit.

Many in metro Detroit suburbs get water from Lake Huron,
    - via a 72 inch diameter DWSD water pipe,
    not from Lake St Clair and not the Detroit River !!!!
    https://redrundrain.files.wordpress....uron-water.jpg
    http://voiceofdetroit.net/wp-content...-plan_0004.jpg

It never "belonged" to the residents of Detroit, it just existed,
    as a service utility to the masses, far and wide.

Junior Coleman is full of doggy doo, concerning restoring assets.
    People need to understand where the drinking water comes from.......

Belle Isle exists for all Michigan to enjoy - not just Detroiters
    The 72" pipe was built by and maintained by the DWSD. They were also responsible for the purification and delivery of the Lake Huron water. That's what started the problem that ended up being the Flint Water Crisis. Counties North of Detroit felt they were being "screwed" by the City on pricing, and sought an alternate solution. Though Belle Isle was and still is a COD park, there were never any restrictions on non-Detroiters using it. The SOM has it on a 30 year lease.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    This is determined by state law. It is not uncommon for states to allow people with felony records to run for public office. Many sates, including Michigan, do not allow people convicted of certain felonies [[bribery, perjury, corruption, etc.) to run for office, but do not disallow others.

It is very common for random people to run for public office. It happens all the time, and is not at all unique to Detroit. To put this situation in perspective, a recent poll of likely Detroit voters showed Duggan leading with 64%, Young with 30%, undecided with 4%, and other candidates with 1%.

All of the candidates with felony records running for mayor have LESS THAN 1% COMBINED support of Detroit voters.

I fail to see how this "says a great deal about how far the city has to go."

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post

All of the candidates with felony records running for mayor have LESS THAN 1% COMBINED support of Detroit voters.

I fail to see how this "says a great deal about how far the city has to go."
    Excellent thought. There will always be some yahoos running for office; fortunately, they rarely get elected. And there are those who become yahoos after being elected.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast