Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So the police chief tells the citizen to drop dead because he called his officer a name? What world does this guy live in? Does he think that every time a guy gets a traffic ticket and he's talking about it at work or at home that he's just glowing with appreciation over getting a ticket? No! When people get tickets they complain about them, and facebook exists and so people are complaining about their tickets on facebook.

If the police chief was at a bar and overheard someone complaining about their ticket, would he walk up to their table and tell them to drop dead?

The problem is that so many police officers are self righteous and superior, but also thin skinned and defensive. They also have such a small and insular internal culture. Pretty much everyone would agree that that wasn't professional [[for some reason he couldn't constrain himself to the standard statements), but I bet you that people in the department know that that's how he rolls, and he has the same attitude in other things that he does.

Ironically I've had to hide most of my public safety [[and military) friends on facebook because they're constantly posting their stuff.

It's a crime to warm your car up on a cold day on your own property.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    What is this country coming to?

Oh yeah ... police state.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    It means, for example, that I can admire Martin Luther King's even though its widely agreed that he was a big of a sexist pig.

Let's say a Police Chief says something that might not play so well in the media, like saying 'drop dead' to a resident. If we'd not over-react to one statement, and look at the whole person, we'd be doing better than someone who judges quickly.

I apply this as well to Jeff Sessions. So in 1986 he made a racist statement. Or Hillary Clinton. Saying 'basket of deplorables' was stupid. Does it mean she's not well-qualified? Nope.

We take one statement from someone we don't like, and we create an entire public image from it. Yet we condemn so quickly.
    That is a fair point.

While I don't have an issue with people calling someone out for making an offensive statement, you are correct that we shouldn't overreact to one statement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2