Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Does anyone remember the DSR bus drop offs on I 94 at Woodward and Davidson and Woodward, express way level,with the old staircases up to Woodward?
    detroitbob,

I’m not old enough to remember the bus drop offs, but for years, I had wondered about the abandoned road alignment on I-94 at John R, until I found this website:
    http://www.detroittransithistory.inf...yBusStops.html

Interesting history about the bus drop-off on I-94 at Woodward. Stairs were built in 1955, never used, and then removed in 1960.

There was one at I-94 and Grand River, also. Motorcycle officer was killed there in 1958 when he cut through it with the morning sun in his eyes. He never saw the 12 x 12 across the roadway. His name was John French.
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-22-09 at 07:19 PM.

I was little when we used that tunnel...and every time I think of it I remember the smell of popcorn at the one end...and tried to talk my parents into letting me have some every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Somewhere in the recesses of my memory, I remember being in the basement of a Kresge or Woolworth in Detroit on the Boulevard. There was a tunnel there across the street as well, as I seem to recall. Maybe I'm wrong, or confusing it with the GM tunnel, I dunno.
    In the basement of Woolworths, is where my son loved to go and look at all the fish. On occasion, he would talk me into buying a goldfish, which he proudly carried home in a little paper carton. There was no tunnel across the street, the wrought iron fence was around the entrance to a public restroom, there were stairs that led down past the sidewalk level to the restrooms. It was maintained by the city and was in service during the sixties. I am not sure when it was closed. I do remember reading something about the public restrooms that were scattered throughout the city. Do you think the restrooms might have been placed at trolley stops?

Did they tear that Sears store down? I'm looking at some aerial photos and I don't see anything familiar. I don't see any signs of a railroad either, even one that has been removed.

Default Maglite

I used to swear by Maglite until about 10 years ago. They seemed to have been bought out by another company who uses inferior parts. I havent had a Maglite last more than a few uses before it starts working sporadically. Ill never buy another one.

Ive noticed a few big companies with excellent reps have their products go downhill. Wostoff or maybe Henkell [[sp?) kitchen knives are one of them. Granted the prices have dropped also. Redwing boots Ive noticed have been putting out boots lately at very cheap prices, although the pair I have now have lasted more than a year of everyday use [[unheard of for me) so I could be wrong about them.

Sorry for the threadjack.

As far as flashlights go I prefer the new LEDs. Best one Ive had was bought from a Murrys checkout line for under $10. I wonder what Supersport was given from the DPD to use. The way I figure it they have to use their lights constantly and you would think they carry the best. Then again, they bought the crap computer system they have now. I wonder what the Seattle po pos use, there known for their state of the art everything, they even ride BMWs.

I used to swear by Maglite until about 10 years ago. They seemed to have been bought out by another company who uses inferior parts.
    That's a shame if it's true. I bought my big 6-D cell Maglight about 10 years ago and it's been great. Maybe I purchased one of the last good ones. Before Maglights were invented it was really difficult to find a durable flashlight anywhere.

Electric camping lanterns work well in tunnels too. I explored a lava tube with one once and it lights up everything. Be sure it's shatterproof though. They're also really handy during power outages.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Did they tear that Sears store down? I'm looking at some aerial photos and I don't see anything familiar. I don't see any signs of a railroad either, even one that has been removed.
    The store is long gone. It was on the north side of Grand River just a tad east of Oakman. Here's a bird's eye view from MS Maps.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...9207&encType=1

Sears and its parking lots took up most of this area. The rail line was where the barely-visible row of trees are in the center of the block running N-S.. If you switch back to aerial mode and scroll northward you can see more evidence of where the rail line was [[including the bridges where it crossed I-96 at the Davison interchange).

I had the rather sad task of removing the phone system from this store after it had closed. I recall zipping around the store with a shopping cart loading up all the departmental extensions.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wallins View Post
    In the basement of Woolworths, is where my son loved to go and look at all the fish. On occasion, he would talk me into buying a goldfish, which he proudly carried home in a little paper carton. There was no tunnel across the street, the wrought iron fence was around the entrance to a public restroom, there were stairs that led down past the sidewalk level to the restrooms. It was maintained by the city and was in service during the sixties. I am not sure when it was closed. I do remember reading something about the public restrooms that were scattered throughout the city. Do you think the restrooms might have been placed at trolley stops?
    I just remembered that wrought iron. I don't recall going into the restrooms. I do remember those fish, and they had birds as well if I recall it correctly.

Ok, well now that I know it's gone, the image makes more sense. You can see the outline of where the building was with the parking lot behind it and the old rail line to the east.

Now, what is that to the north [[top right center of the pic) near the three bus stop symbols. Apartment building with open center court?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Ok, well now that I know it's gone, the image makes more sense. You can see the outline of where the building was with the parking lot behind it and the old rail line to the east.

Now, what is that to the north [[top right center of the pic) near the three bus stop symbols. Apartment building with open center court?
    My memory is a little weak on this one, but I think that was a supermarket. I don't remember which chain.

If Jabba was here he could tell us everything!

The building in question is at Oakman Blvd. at Elmhurst...it [[is?) a grocery store...back in the 60's Ithink it was a Chatham, then became one of the first Farmer Jack. There was a larger, nicer market behind Federal's opposite Sear's that was a Wrigleys.

Whereis Jjaba?. If my Mom were not still in recovery from her surgery and were here now she might know.

Bearinabox Guest

I always wondered about that empty lot along Grand River. It's really weird to look at, because there is a sort of awning over the sidewalk along that stretch of Grand River, and for a while there is nothing behind it except a barbed-wire fence and some weeds.

Is the rail line also the reason for that big empty area that runs between Davison and Schoolcraft west of Turner? I've always wondered about that too.

highjinx Guest

The whole Miracle On 34th Street vibe; If Federals didn't have it, Sears did.

Attachment 11904
    This used to be Stone Container / Lambeer Packaging on Harper near Mt. Elliot . This is only about 1/5 of the whole building . At the very tip of the photo just behind it is R.R. tracks . I worked for Stone a few years and inside the building at the tip there is slight decline [[like a driveway) heading towards the R.R.tracks . The decline ends with steel double doors . I saw the doors opened only once [[don't know why they opened them) but it is indeed a tunnel that took a right turn heading towards the bottom of the photo [[west) Someone in here once said it used to be an old Packard plant / aircraft engine plant maybe ? The address I believe was 6400 Harper

Buy American Guest

...and of course, the old Belle Isle tunnel.

The Packard plant used to extend farther west, across Harper, before the expressway was built.

Just reading through this fabulous tunnel thread I see no mention of the school crossing tunnels of Highland Park. These ran under John R by St. Benedicts, under 2nd by Ferris School and Ford school. Maybe others? These were built prior to expressways when these one way avenues along with Brush and 3rd carried huge rush hour traffic loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Just reading through this fabulous tunnel thread I see no mention of the school crossing tunnels of Highland Park. These ran under John R by St. Benedicts, under 2nd by Ferris School and Ford school. Maybe others? These were built prior to expressways when these one way avenues along with Brush and 3rd carried huge rush hour traffic loads.
    I was just about to post that. Didn't they have signs that read 'subway'?

Let's also not forget the mother of all tunnel systems, the international salt mine tunnels, that dwarf everything discussed here. Of course, like the Highland Park school tunnels, they have been covered in previous threads.

Does anyone know where there are pictures of the steam tunnels running underneath Downtown? Used to explore those back in the '80's, you could go just about anywhere under the city and pop up into all kinds of buildings...

GUSHI Guest

St florian has a tunnel connecting the school with the gym.

Guardian Angels Catholic school [[now Bueller) has a tunnel running under Mayfield from the school to the covenant.
    Both bulidings are still there, so the tunnel must be too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast