Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Trials and Tribulations of a Detroit Bicyclist

Recently I have started a blog on my experiences riding my bike around the Metro Detroit area.

I'm starting this thread in hopes that those of you can view it and offer comments, criticism, and words of wisdom.

I look forward to your posts.

http://bicyclistinthed.blogspot.com/

Nice. I just added your feed to my reader.

that does look interesting. Several years back, my son had a folding bicycle to get to work because his job was a couple miles past the last bus stop. I'm not sure how well it worked for him, but he stuck with it til he found a more accessible job.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    that does look interesting. Several years back, my son had a folding bicycle to get to work because his job was a couple miles past the last bus stop. I'm not sure how well it worked for him, but he stuck with it til he found a more accessible job.
    Ahh yes! That folding bike you got me. It lived in the trunk of my Plymouth. I did not use it much as I recall it was not good for great distances. Later I would take the Southfield Rd bus to the Plymouth Rd bus and that would terminate at Wonderland Mall, then I would walk to my job at the Foodland at Plymouth and Farmington. No, the longest bike commute I had was Chugiak to Anchorage. 21 miles one way and rain the whole way. But that summer was quite useful due to the fact I came home with the AK driver's license that was good for five years. And that was just long enough to get my driving record clear and it was too much trouble for annoying cops looking to add points to it.

Nice Blog Tigershark!! I enjoy riding through Detroit too, lots of nice straight residential streets that go for miles. Know what you mean about folks with nothing better to do then harass a cyclist. What have you found to be a good remedy for that?

Well, our INTENTION was for you to use the bike at the end of the bus route.

Nice job in Alaska, all that exercise is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    Nice Blog Tigershark!! I enjoy riding through Detroit too, lots of nice straight residential streets that go for miles. Know what you mean about folks with nothing better to do then harass a cyclist. What have you found to be a good remedy for that?
    Each time I ride my bike i change my route. Where there is too much traffic, I pretty much try to avoid those roads. Or if the roads are too narrow like, I would try to use a side street as a shortcut when it is possible.

If you have plenty of people riding with you. Do a Critical Mass ride. A Critical Mass ride would be to take over the entire road, something that motorcyclists tend to do already when there's enough of them.

However, sometimes the best way to avoid harassment is to simply remember the area that you were previously harassed. Or, if you have a camera with you and a guy tries to cut you off, get the plate and let the cops take care of it.

Before I got a mirror for my bike, I had to look behind me all the time to make sure no one was on my ass. The mirror help things easier for me to move with traffic.

Bicyclist.

Hood ornament.

Same difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Bicyclist.

Hood ornament.

Same difference.
    Bicycle Hating Motorist.

Biggot.

No difference.

Nice blog. I too noticed that it was hard to find bike racks on buses. Ours here in Chicago only fit two bikes, I can't imagine three. Two weekends ago, I visited Detroit for the first time since I moved to Chicago in 2006. I spent the whole weekend on a bike and wrote about my experience. It was a great experience returning to Detroit after a 3 year hiatus. I invite anybody who has the time to give it a read. Quite an eventful weekend.

http://api.ning.com/files/*GOo999sIr...itisLonely.pdf*cIr9cNf4KE8xz9xsr1REMD*/DetroitisLonely.pdf
    Last edited by Be Kay; August-19-09 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Be Kay View Post
    Nice blog. I too noticed that it was hard to find bike racks on buses. Ours here in Chicago only fit two bikes, I can't imagine three. Two weekends ago, I visited Detroit for the first time since I moved to Chicago in 2006. I spent the whole weekend on a bike and wrote about my experience. It was a great experience returning to Detroit after a 3 year hiatus. I invite anybody who has the time to give it a read. Quite and eventful weekend.

http://api.ning.com/files/8aPhlR0xND...itisLonely.pdf
    I've managed to download the .pdf and read it in its entirely. It really touch my heart how many bikers care about this city as much as I do. I'd like to go to on the BTT tour, but unfortunately for me, I work during the weekend. I'd love to go out on the tour when I can get a day off from my job at Henry Ford Hospital.

The more we can promote biking in the metro area, the quicker we can start on moving into the 21st century.

This .pdf is something that should be shared with those that are suppose to represent us in government whether local or state. These people must know that we are here, and we aren't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    I've managed to download the .pdf and read it in its entirely. It really touch my heart how many bikers care about this city as much as I do. I'd like to go to on the BTT tour, but unfortunately for me, I work during the weekend. I'd love to go out on the tour when I can get a day off from my job at Henry Ford Hospital.

The more we can promote biking in the metro area, the quicker we can start on moving into the 21st century.

This .pdf is something that should be shared with those that are suppose to represent us in government whether local or state. These people must know that we are here, and we aren't going anywhere.
    Wow, thanks so much for reading it! It is so long but things just kept coming out as I was writing it. I don't have many influential Detroit connections, but if you do, feel free to steer it their way or tell me how to. I look forward to reading about your future adventures. I'm coming back for Tour de Troit and will also be doing the BTT ride that morning. I hope you can catch it someday. It is so worth it. Will you be at Tour de Troit? Another Chicago cyclist and I are trying to build support for Roll-on bike service on Amtrak Michigan-bound trains. We're just starting now and may need some Michigan support.

May I bring my bicycle on the bus?
    Bikes are not allowed on the inside of the bus. DDOT is conducting a "Bikes on Buses" trial program on our Russell [[#40) route. Currently bike racks are available on the Russell route only. In 2009, DDOT will begin a program to equip all buses with bike racks.
    Click here for details on the "Bikes on Buses" program.

This is from the official website for the Department of Transportation

For those who have read the last few entries of my blog, I have been discussing when these bike racks will be equipped.

Recently, there has been a slow crawl in getting this done.

Today there is a Customer meeting at DDOT headquarters on E Warren. I'm going there to make sure that my concerns are addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Be Kay View Post
    Two weekends ago, I visited Detroit for the first time since I moved to Chicago in 2006.

http://api.ning.com/files/*GOo999sIr...itisLonely.pdf*cIr9cNf4KE8xz9xsr1REMD*/DetroitisLonely.pdf
    I read the story and enjoyed it. It sounds like fun, although for me, any more than a half hour in the saddle pushes my limits. I would need to train a while to be able to ride for three hours.

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    I read the story and enjoyed it. It sounds like fun, although for me, any more than a half hour in the saddle pushes my limits. I would need to train a while to be able to ride for three hours.
    Thank you so much for reading. Trust me, I didn't start out riding three hours at a time. It's a gradual build-up. If you only want to bike for an hour, then don't push it. You shouldn't do anything to make riding unenjoyable. Biking should always be fun!!!!!!

May I bring my bicycle on the bus?
    Bikes are not allowed on the inside of the bus. DDOT is conducting a "Bikes on Buses" trial program on our Russell [[#40) route. Currently bike racks are available on the Russell route only. In 2009, DDOT will begin a program to equip all buses with bike racks.
    Click here for details on the "Bikes on Buses" program.

This is from the official website for the Department of Transportation

For those who have read the last few entries of my blog, I have been discussing when these bike racks will be equipped.

Recently, there has been a slow crawl in getting this done.

Today there is a Customer meeting at DDOT headquarters on E Warren. I'm going there to make sure that my concerns are addressed.
    Thanks a ton for making sure your [[our) voice is heard. What can possibly be "trial" about installing bike racks? You put them on and then they're there to be used! I know you probably feel kind of alone advocating sometimes but it's people like you who make the difference. Keep up the good work. Fight the good fight.
    Last edited by Be Kay; August-20-09 at 05:13 PM.

Bikes make a nice crunching noise when busses roll over them.

Some news from the Customer Meeting:

I asked when the bike racks would be on all DDOT buses. It turns out that they have finally decided what type of rack they will have. Each bike rack will be able to hold 3 bikes.

All DDOT buses will have bike racks on their buses by spring 2010.

I asked them for the bus numbers for the ones that were already equipped, but they didn't give them to me.

Yesterday I really had a fun ride on the riverfront and belle isle. I didn't get home until 1am and when I was on my way home, I was so tired, I had to walk part of the way.

I will post the routes that I took yesterday on http://www.bikely.com for those who are interested in them.

Boy I sure hope not. DDOT would not enjoy having to pay to replace my $1500 Canondale. Detroit has enough money woes right now.

Didnt someone else recently post a blog they created detailing their bike riding escapades? Link?

There's this one [[selfishly mine from up above in this discussion)
    http://api.ning.com/files/*GOo999sIr...itisLonely.pdf

...and I saw this one on here yesterday [[Tour de Hood)
    http://tourdehood.wordpress.com/

I don't know of any others except for the OP

Some news from the Customer Meeting:

I asked when the bike racks would be on all DDOT buses. It turns out that they have finally decided what type of rack they will have. Each bike rack will be able to hold 3 bikes.

All DDOT buses will have bike racks on their buses by spring 2010.

I asked them for the bus numbers for the ones that were already equipped, but they didn't give them to me.

Yesterday I really had a fun ride on the riverfront and belle isle. I didn't get home until 1am and when I was on my way home, I was so tired, I had to walk part of the way.

I will post the routes that I took yesterday on http://www.bikely.com for those who are interested in them.
    Thank you! If not for you, I don't think this news would ever reach us. I think it is great that you are getting racks that fit 3 bikes and I think 2010 is an acceptable deadline as long as they stick to it, however, 2 years from announcement to completion is a bit much. That's disappointing that they could not provide you with the routes which currently have racks. I know when I ride here, I always have the comfort of knowing that if something goes wrong, I can always SAG on to a bus. It's especially important in the extremely cold winter days.

My blog, www.allyeargear.com often has stories about riding in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Scott View Post
    My blog, www.allyeargear.com often has stories about riding in Detroit.
    Good luck in your race tomorrow, Todd.

So do trolls.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast