Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The system is only broke when you loose said the cynic........!

On the serious note it was just incredible how slow votes finalized for Michigan. Or are they still counting??

Yep! The fact that Trump won despite his bold-face odious baggage speaks in part to how weak Ms. Clinton was as a winning candidate. This despite every advantage she had, including her insider political leverage as a boiler plate politician.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Van View Post
    And...... she still lost. Get over it. To quote Hillary, "What difference does it make now!".
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-23-16 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Someone really needs to come up with a better name for these rallies. You should not use your adversary's name in a positive light. Love over hate. The only word there that relates to Trump is the last one. Just watch what happens to the definition of trump in a few years.

P.S. Michigan: What a let down! I take no solace in the fact you're just as screwed. Let's see how this bodes for your comeback. I was rooting for you.
    I see upside for the D but then again, I see the D's pendulum swings at a different harmonic to the rest of the country and man is it swinging back hard. Keep rooting bra

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Van View Post
    I find it interesting that all the talk of "tolerance" & "love" & "acceptance" is directed towards those people with whom you agree. There's no challenge to loving, tolerating or accepting people that you agree with, like and have apathy for. How many of you will accept, tolerate and love our new president, in spite of your fears, misgivings, and dare I say it, hatred of him? It's only after you love your enemies, that you can preach love to others.
    I'm not much for tolerance, but I'm still surprised by these types of comments. There's no such thing as being tolerant of intolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by cassique View Post
    Suppose that would be relevant if the law of the land was most popular votes wins. The electoral vote is the one that counts so don't fully understand how the system is broken considering that it worked as designed by not allowing population centers on both coasts to solely determine the outcome.
    Let's revisit history. When electors were created in Article II of the Constitution there were only 13 colonies, all of them on the Atlantic coast.

Here's the National Archives reference on Election Law.

According to Reference.com:

"The purpose of the electoral college is to be a compromise between election of the president by the vote of Congress and the popular vote of the people. The founding fathers established the electoral college in the United States Constitution, believing that it would be both a buffer and provide fair power to all states regardless of size."

So it's nuanced. The framers of the Constitution balanced multiple goals. Your interpretation reflects only the second one [[except think Delaware not Wyoming).

Alexander Hamilton was outspoken about the first. He wrote in The Federalist Papers:

"It was equally desirable, that the immediate election should be made by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice. A small number of persons, selected by their fellow-citizens from the general mass, will be most likely to possess the information and discernment requisite to such complicated investigations."

I'm pretty sure a time he'd think we need a buffer would look a lot like the one we're in. Except the winner this year didn't get the popular vote, so we're in a double anomaly.

It's also worth looking into the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact:

"The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact [[NPVIC) is an agreement among a group of U.S. states and the District of Columbia to award all their respective electoral votes to whichever presidential candidate wins the overall popular vote in the 50 states and the District of Columbia. The compact is designed to ensure that the candidate who wins the most popular votes is elected president, and it will come into effect only when it will guarantee that outcome. As of 2016, it has been adopted by ten states and the District of Columbia. Together, they have 165 electoral votes, which is 30.7% of the total Electoral College and 61.1% of the votes needed to give the compact legal force."

Michigan hasn't joined but some Michigan legislators support it. It's a great idea. Talk to your state representatives about it.
    Last edited by bust; November-23-16 at 11:37 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2