Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I'm not arguing for or against Dodd-Frank. Yes, it's at least plausibly arguable that Dodd-Frank should be repealed.

My point is that Trump ran as an "outsider" against "elites". It doesn't get any more "insider" and "elite" than Wall Street, which would hugely benefit from a repeal of Dodd-Frank.
    I don't think we would have been better with Hillary. After all she said Wall Street is best suited to solve the problems of the financial system.

Sorry for getting off topic of this thread.
    What infrastructure projects would I like to see?
    1. Replace old lead water lines.
    2. Strengthen the power grid to resist hacking and air burst EMI attacks.

There sure have been a lot of broken water mains lately. I hope these failures are just flukes. Better they happen now than during a deep freeze, I suppose.

IF there are infrastructure funds, don't expect much for Michigan or any for the metro Detroit area. Snyder will be on the "disloyal" list and a paranoid vindictive Trump will certainly punish those on that list.

I would like to see the Social Security Trust Fund replenished. I really don’t care if Square Lake has a left side exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smiles View Post
    I would like to see the Social Security Trust Fund replenished. I really don’t care if Square Lake has a left side exit.
    That's just crazy talk. The trust fund is topped up nicely - with treasury bonds to be paid out... by the US treasury... meaning you and me. So when the time comes we'll just crank up taxes to pay for the existing people on social security.

Oh yeah, since they relaxed the rules a few years ago, disability claims against SS are skyrocketing, too - so we can pay for that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    That's just crazy talk. The trust fund is topped up nicely - with treasury bonds to be paid out... by the US treasury... meaning you and me. So when the time comes we'll just crank up taxes to pay for the existing people on social security.

Oh yeah, since they relaxed the rules a few years ago, disability claims against SS are skyrocketing, too - so we can pay for that as well.
    Isn't that like issuing a promissory note to pay the promissory note back you took out in the first place. Double negative means it will never be done.

Another infrastructure project that needs to be done is to replace Michigan's failing bridges.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...chigan_br.html

The rest of the country needs the same.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...epair/2816881/

One that definitely needs to be done is Eureka Road in Southgate. It's maintenance got so deferred it's now comparable to a street in a bombed-out German town right after World War II.

I can't believe I'm saying this , and I rarely do, but , I agree 100% with Bham1982

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    You guys realize that Trump and Congress have zero interest in infrastructure, right?

Trump barely mentioned infrastructure during the campaign, and the Republican-majority Congress has fought Obama's proposals for massive infrastructure investments. They have repeatedly attempted to cut all Amtrak funding and to end Obama's high-speed rail investments.

The idea that Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich and the like are going to be funding rail systems for inner cities and the like is completely delusional; they're going to be concentrating on massive tax cuts for the wealthy, eliminating Obamacare, banning immigrants, putting up trade barriers, and removing environmental protections.

This will especially be a nightmare four years locally, as Trump has no clue re. the auto industry, and his entire economic platform is based on a fundamental misreading of the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I can't believe I'm saying this , and I rarely do, but , I agree 100% with Bham1982
    LOL. I was thinking the exact same thing! Wonders never cease.

Not an infrastructure item but how about help with:

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...art_river_home

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    IF there are infrastructure funds, don't expect much for Michigan or any for the metro Detroit area. Snyder will be on the "disloyal" list and a paranoid vindictive Trump will certainly punish those on that list.

Why not? Michigan had a higher republican vote over democrate for the first time in 38 years,I would think that counts for something,they just passed a $350 billion package in late 2015.

They need to continue replacing the I-94 freeway bridges between Conner and I-96. Van Dyke, Woodward and [[just recently) Trumbull have all been replaced [[with clearance to handle 4 lanes of traffic in case the widening ever takes place). They check the other bridges with such frequency... that it becomes worrisome that a collapse could actually occur among the other bridges that have long ago exceeded their lifespan.

Also... the idea that Trump holding a grudge against Snyder would prevent Michigan from receiving future infrastructure dollars is baloney.... There were so many anti-Trump folks that if he held back funds... he'd be doing so in almost all of the states, especially the ones that didn't give him electoral votes.

Should he ever want a 2nd term... he will be quite kind to Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

"Now, Trump's White House and a GOP-controlled Congress promise to pave the way for a big, fiscal stimulus package, taking the load off the Fed's shoulders. Trump has promised to spend big on the nation's infrastructure and cut taxes for everyone."

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/14/news/economy/trump-yellen-federal-reserve-wish/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    They need to continue replacing the I-94 freeway bridges between Conner and I-96. Van Dyke, Woodward and [[just recently) Trumbull have all been replaced [[with clearance to handle 4 lanes of traffic in case the widening ever takes place). They check the other bridges with such frequency... that it becomes worrisome that a collapse could actually occur among the other bridges that have long ago exceeded their lifespan. Also... the idea that Trump holding a grudge against Snyder would prevent Michigan from receiving future infrastructure dollars is baloney.... There were so many anti-Trump folks that if he held back funds... he'd be doing so in almost all of the states, especially the ones that didn't give him electoral votes. Should he ever want a 2nd term... he will be quite kind to Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
    Already planned and funded - look at MDOTs website: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...n-through-2036 Look at the bottom of the article for scheduled bridge replacements. I agree, the east side bridges are a mess, especially Gratiot, which will be one of the biggest projects

As I understand it, we are in a big funk over infrastructure as part of the Great Recession.

I thought Obama's stimulus plan had a lot of money [[but still a drop in the bucket against the need) for roads and bridges with the caveat that the states chip in some money [[isn't that typical for these projects?). In addition to doing what needed to be done it was envisioned as a job creator.

Anyway, most states were flat out broke, some doing things like closing rest stops on interstates.

So very little happened and it has been pretty much a lost decade. Correct?

Now we need to juice up the spending.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2