Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    It's pretty sad that a claimed "Green" voter would parrot alt-right lies about Hillary. "Emails", "Putin", etc. All lies, straight from Breitbart. How can someone be "progressive" yet work to elect a fascist? I don't get it.

I have dual citizenship, so at least have a fallback option if things go as expected, but most Americans don't. I no longer know what to think about this country. Americans deserve what's coming.

The problem is that the U.S. economy is so big, there's no where to go to escape the decline. Once Trump starts meddling with interest rates, starts trade wars, ban immigrants, pulls out of NATO and cancels international agreements, as he's promised, the whole global economy will crater.
    I don't read Brietbart. The truth about Hillary is available on other sources. I didn't work to elect a fascist. Both major party candidates were bad. Why should I be forced to pick one?

Hah - I know! The information re. Ms. Clinton is so vast you don't have to dig for it on just the 'conservative' news as time goes on!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I don't read Brietbart. The truth about Hillary is available on other sources.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-09-16 at 02:41 PM.

I'm embarrassed today. As an American as well as a human being. I will accept the results of the election, it is what it is. But to think that our country will be better off in 4 years would be an exercise in futility. I'm disgusted by this person that is now the leader of the free world. Once people start to realize that this guy most likely won't be able to deliver on most of his campaign promises, I wonder how all of these Trumpets will react to still having to live next to a Muslim family or having their taxes raise to build a 40 foot high wall on our boarder or not having the county coal mine open back up and create good paying jobs.

Having said that, this is still America, and no matter how Donald wanted to paint it, it's still the best fucking country on this planet and I would never ever leave it. We need to work even harder than ever before to ensure we all feel inclusion and acceptance for who we all are and make sure that this fantastic place to live doesn't wither to nothing. I have faith we will get through this. It may be bumpy but we will persevere.

I don't read Brietbart. The truth about Hillary is available on other sources.
    You claimed that "Hillary wants to start a war with Putin" and "Hillary broke laws re. emails", both of which are 100% right-wing lies, based on nothing. You obviously got both talking points from some fringe right-wing source.

Then you claim to be a green party member, but parrot the rantings of the only candidate who denies global warming and has promised to tear-up the global climate agreement.

I didn't work to elect a fascist. Both major party candidates were bad. Why should I be forced to pick one?
    You're not forced to do anything. You're free to support any candidate of your choosing, obviously.

But if you parrot the rantings of a fascist, it's reasonable to assume you support him, and you should be prepared to accept criticism for your choices.

You claimed that "Hillary wants to start a war with Putin" and "Hillary broke laws re. emails", both of which are 100% right-wing lies, based on nothing. You obviously got both talking points from some fringe right-wing source.

Then you claim to be a green party member, but parrot the rantings of the only candidate who denies global warming and has promised to tear-up the global climate agreement.

You're not forced to do anything. You're free to support any candidate of your choosing, obviously.

But if you parrot the rantings of a fascist, it's reasonable to assume you support him, and you should be prepared to accept criticism for your choices.
    Here you go Bham, download it to your phone. You can watch as you take the first plane out of the Country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbkS26PX4rc

Dr. Jill Stein, Green Party candidate discusses Hillary's support of a no-fly zone over Syria:

https://youtu.be/_GySGcHBvIo

Commentator about the email scandal:

https://youtu.be/klU80Pw2ynE

Neither one of those people are a right wing source. I don't support Trump that's why I didn't vote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Here you go Bham, download it to your phone. You can watch as you take the first plane out of the Country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbkS26PX4rc
    Sorry, not downloading spam from a proud deplorable.

And I will never apologize for opposing a racist and fascist in the White House.

Dr. Jill Stein, Green Party candidate discusses Hillary's support of a no-fly zone over Syria:

https://youtu.be/_GySGcHBvIo

Commentator about the email scandal:

https://youtu.be/klU80Pw2ynE

Neither one of those people are a right wing source. I don't support Trump that's why I didn't vote for him.
    I asked you to post a mainstream source. Jill Stein's random rantings on Syria and a wacky youtube video don't exactly constitute primary sources.

Let's see a normal news source verifying your Breitbart-originating claims that Hillary wants a war with Russia and that Hillary has broken laws.

And you have parroted Trump's lies, so it's very odd for you to now claim you don't support his election. Why would you parrot his fabrications if you don't support him?

Sorry, not downloading spam from a proud deplorable.

And I will never apologize for opposing a racist and fascist in the White House.
    Ok, NP, Bham, Be sure to write every once in awhile and let us know how your new life is getting along, "K"?

Ok, NP, Bham, Be sure to write every once in awhile and let us know how your new life is getting along, "K"?
    You aren't remotely funny, or observant, or even able to follow a simple thread conversation.

Elections have consequences. Yesterdays's shocker was probably the biggest global shift since WW2. We get it; you think it's hilarious that the U.S. is rocketing 100 years backwards and dumb white men are back in charge.

Your glib, brainless, "Love it or leave it" response could only come from a Trump sycophant.

You aren't remotely funny, or observant, or even able to follow a simple thread conversation.

Elections have consequences. Yesterdays's shocker was probably the biggest global shift since WW2. We get it; you think it's hilarious that the U.S. is rocketing 100 years backwards and dumb white men are back in charge.

Your glib, brainless, "Love it or leave it" response could only come from a Trump sycophant.
    You probably have either Alzheimer, or your head is stuck too far upper US. Your the one wining how you're ball and going home.

"I have dual citizenship, so at least have a fallback option if things go as expected, but most Americans don't. I no longer know what to think about this country. Americans deserve what's coming."

What a piece of work.....

You probably have either Alzheimer, or your head is stuck too far upper US.
    Yes, only people with Alzheimers are opposed to Trump. That's why the whole world is shuddering, every living President called him dangerous, why global markets are in disarray, and why economists from far right to far left summarily dismiss his policies.

Your the one wining how you're ball and going home.
    I have no idea what this garbled syntax is, but I assume you're trying to communicate that since I'm opposed to a fascist and racist, then I'm "whining" and "giving up" on the promise of America.

I will actively fight this Presidency, and won't give up on America, ever.

"I have dual citizenship, so at least have a fallback option if things go as expected, but most Americans don't. I no longer know what to think about this country. Americans deserve what's coming."

Yes, I'm quite lucky. I have an option if things go to hell. My kids won't be raised here if Trump's promises come to pass. And if the American people support his proposals, then, yeah, they deserve to get screwed; no sympathy from me.

He has promised to dismantle public education, eliminate environmental laws, ban abortion, eliminate gay rights, abandon NATO, end NAFTA, etc. If that comes to pass, I won't be around to see it. I would have to move anyways, because my job depends on global trade. My company would move me; that wouldn't be a problem. Europe believes in free trade, and isn't going anywhere.

Most Americans don't have such an option. Black Americans, Hispanic Americans, gays, immigrants, the handicapped, women, anyone with 401k, anyone in the auto industry, are all screwed, if Trump is halfway serious about his proposals.

Enough of the name calling - it's childish on both sides.

I actually think the fact that the NY Daily News would mock Trump on it's cover every day, the Huff Post and others would ad taglines to Trump, that Hilary referred to Trump supporters as deplorables - all actually provided the fuel and motivation for the GOP get out the vote to win.

Calling someone names, attempting to voter shame does not make them think "I should vote for someone else" - it makes them more resentful, more angry and more likely to show up. As in the who the F do you think you are to call me X.

There were blacks, hispanics, gays, immigrants, handicapped, women, people with a 401K, auto industry workers who ALL voted for Trump. Similarly there was a population of each adjective who ALL voted for Clinton.

The only difference is one side did a better job getting out the vote - pure and simple.

Last edited by belleislerunner; November-09-16 at 03:19 PM. Reason: d

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Enough of the name calling - it's childish on both sides.

People aren't going to be silent about Trump, whether or not you think it's "childish".

And "name-calling" is entirely appropriate when the name fits. Trump is very much a racist, nativist and proto-fascist; it would be entirely unpatriotic and un-American to not call him out.

I actually think the fact that the NY Daily News would mock Trump on it's cover every day, the Huff Post and others would ad taglines to Trump, that Hilary referred to Trump supporters as deplorables - all actually provided the fuel and motivation for the GOP get out the vote to win.

Yes, obviously blame news sources for reporting Trump's own words. How dare they? But don't worry, Trump has repeatedly promised to "reign in" the free press. Once we have state controlled media we won't have this pesky problem...

Calling someone names, attempting to voter shame does not make them think "I should vote for someone else" - it makes them more resentful, more angry and more likely to show up. As in the who the F do you think you are to call me X.

If people are motivated to vote for a racist because others report on the candidate's racist speech, then that's on them. Voters for Trump should absolutely be shamed. They're disgraceful. The U.S. lost a TON of soft power last night.

There were blacks, hispanics, gays, immigrants, handicapped, women, people with a 401K, auto industry workers who ALL voted for Trump. Similarly there was a population of each adjective who ALL voted for Clinton.

Yes, and there were plenty of Jews, gypsies, communists, pacifists, etc. who voted for Hitler. What's your point?

The only difference is one side did a better job getting out the vote - pure and simple.
    No, actually it isn't that simple. Trump had almost no "get out the vote" operation. He didn't even have a fully prepared election party, because the assumption was that it would be a short night.

That's, in part, why the whole world, Trump-included, were gobsmacked last night. No one thought he would actually win violating all conventional norms and with no major party support.

Even the NYT would disagree with you. Shaming always helps those you're trying to shame.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/p...ion-night-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Voted ten days ago. Nevada has early voting, and it is beautifully set up. All touch screen computer for the votes. I remember nightmare lines back in my Detroit days. Anyway.....whoever wins.....life will go on. Trust me.
    New Mexico has early voting [[Oct 22-Nov 5) I voted a week ago.

Even the NYT would disagree with you. Shaming always helps those you're trying to shame.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/p...ion-night-2016
    No, nothing in your link contradicts what I wrote.

The NY Times has been very clear that Trump is an absolute disaster for the U.S. and the planet. Their editorials have been absolutely apocalyptic; with a general consensus that U.S. will never fully recover from Trump.

In fact that was Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman's article today. The U.S. is basically done. It's era as wealthiest country on earth and global hegemon is probably over.

I will NEVER blindly accept a despot. Acquiescence got my relatives murdered not very long ago; it isn't happening to my kids. I will resist Trump with everything I've got.
    The Dangerous Acceptance of Donald Trump
    http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-...3&kwp_1=435181
    Last edited by Bham1982; November-09-16 at 06:46 PM.

I asked you to post a mainstream source. Jill Stein's random rantings on Syria and a wacky youtube video don't exactly constitute primary sources.

Let's see a normal news source verifying your Breitbart-originating claims that Hillary wants a war with Russia and that Hillary has broken laws.

And you have parroted Trump's lies, so it's very odd for you to now claim you don't support his election. Why would you parrot his fabrications if you don't support him?
    No, you didn't say "mainstream source" you said something that wasn't a right wing source. Hillary said she wanted a no fly zone over Syria. In the opinion of many people, that could escalate a conflict with Russia.

I don't think it matters what source I post. You don't want to believe anything negative about Hillary. But here's an article on the email server:

http://nypost.com/2015/09/27/yes-hil...broke-the-law/

I've been reading about Hillary's scandals since the election started. I've drawn my own conclusions from a variety of sources. It has nothing to do with Trump.

No, you didn't say "mainstream source" you said something that wasn't a right wing source. Hillary said she wanted a no fly zone over Syria. In the opinion of many people, that could escalate a conflict with Russia.
    You're parroting a right-wing talking point, and, no, saying you want a "no fly zone over Syria" has zero to do with your claim that Clinton wants a "war with Russia". Syria isn't Russia. No fly zones aren't declarations of war.

If you're gonna carry the alt-right's water for them, prepared to be called on it. Just because kooky Jill Stein retweeted some alt-right meme in between her 9-11 conspiracies and anti-vaccination quackery, it doesn't give you a pass.
    I don't think it matters what source I post. You don't want to believe anything negative about Hillary. But here's an article on the email server:
    The NY Post is an extreme hard right newspaper, and you're posting an op-ed from possibly the most extreme columnist at the NY Post. They're also the only major U.S. newspaper than endorsed Trump.

But again, you claim you're not for Trump. Uh-huh.
    I've been reading about Hillary's scandals since the election started.
    Name one. One where there's actually a finding that Hillary violated a law or regulation. Just one, please.

Benghazi there were six separate investigations and the right-wing couldn't find a single thing. Emails she was totally exonerated by a right-wing FBI director no less, case closed. She did nothing different re. emails than her predecessors, all who used the same practices since emails became the norm communication mode in the mid-late 1990's.
    Last edited by Bham1982; November-09-16 at 07:31 PM.

There are three sublime but massive contradictions I saw with the ideologies of the Trump voter.

One of the first was one I hit upon right after Halloween. If his supporters really bought into this "Make America Great Again" shtick, then that suggests they were for improvement. Yet, improvement starts with the individual, and neither Trump nor any of his supporters felt compelled to ever apply improvement in their life. If they did, it was a brief wading into the pools of civility and tolerance that didn't stand up to the immediate test that hit them. They somehow expected immediate reward for attempting, not some test. Therefor, they threw up their hands and said "Well, that's what I get for trying to be nice, so, for now on I'll be an *sshole."

.....I've seen that too many times with certain persons.

It's called resignation.

It also means being an ouch cube of immediately flimsy reaction formations towards every little curve life throws them [["my sister's boss's cousin got carjacked in Detroit, so I'm going to lean in and tell everyone I feel bold enough to talk to that 'you know they are all like that, right, RIGHT?!"-something else I've seen a lot of all across this nation.).

"Why be civil when we all are just jerks?-lets' be honest about it, hmmm?" "Why be tolerant?-we all are a little racist, right?" Eventually such rationalizations lead to everything from stealing to violence to being dang near pedophilic.

It's sublimely sanctimoniously skewed when one rationalizes that "we need to be honest and accept that we all lie". It's as if they won't work at being honest in the areas that matter most [[and being honest does not mean being offensive-there is the option of just being abiding and holding one's tongue-yet, I certainly did not see this from Trump supporters, except for the cowards who waited until the last day to put all their signs), because they learn early on that being honest will inhibit you greatly in life. After all, being honest means having to be humble and admit fault, and that is the first step to self-improvement. Yet, Trump never liked to admit when he was wrong [[had a hard time pronouncing "apologize" there, eh, Don?), so why should they? They won't suffer for truth. So, they just rationalize that everyone else lies.

And so, they support someone who they can project themselves on. Someone just as crass. Someone who justifies their right to wallow in crapulance [[maybe he was just that entertaining, right?-a shiny new thing, right?) A 2-dimensional character with no actual character. Someone who validates their violence, their intolerance, their weasiliness and failure to be accountable. Where is the improvement in any of that? With core values that warped, how is any of us to make strides [[or even more realistic baby steps on a long road ahead of us) to greatness?

Then again, my brother explained the obvious interpretation that "Making America Great Again", meant "Making it White Again."

Speaking of race and resignation: A recent Saturday Night Live sketch called "Black Jeopardy" had Tom Hanks as an old coot getting points and accolades for correctly responding to an answer about the election with "What is: c'mon they already decided who wins even before it happens." I've always felt that true in one form or another, but to see it played out in that particular sketch told me that which the Kinko's girl confirmed when she was voting in Detroit-that most African Americans have felt like their vote just never counted, so why try?

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Then again, my brother explained the obvious interpretation that "Making America Great Again", meant "Making it White Again."
    Well that's been the obvious message from the beginning. His was a white nationalist campaign, and it worked beyond even the most rosy expectations.

We are a country with a ton of racists. It took a black President to really put that into focus. Many [[most?) uneducated working class whites are irredeemable bigots. Macomb County, esp., and rural areas of Michigan, are apparently fetid swamps of bigots. They'll happily sink the country if they can settle scores with the blacks, gays, and Mexicans.

They'll be gone in a few generations, but they can easily wreck the country in the interim.
    Last edited by Bham1982; November-09-16 at 08:15 PM.

The other peculiar contradiction with the Trump supporter is that as much as they said "I don't like the man, but....", the same issues that got scores to vote for either Bush and Reagan were the abortion and gun-control issues that benefited Trump. That has always been the biggest contradiction.

One makes a crusade [[one never directly prescribed by scripture; so the ones that were directly prescribed-things about seeking peace, seeking justice, the rights of the workers, alleviating poverty, and showing respect to the sojourner/outsider get oddly pushed aside for this irresolvable hobby horse folks like to climb on. Talk about poor critical comparative as it pertains to priorities right there.) to "fight abortion" [[and yeah, I don't support it either, but....), yet, to have lax blood-thirsty gun laws that still sanctions that a kid can get a hold of grandpa's piece and perforate another kid or let the next red-flagged nut stockpile his arsenal [[like perhaps a coffee-guzzling realtor who like to chain up women or a Houston lawyer who dresses up like a Nazi) and wake up the neighbors shooting in his yardhttp://www.clickondetroit.com/news/d...l-neighborhood. Jeesh!

Striving for glory to save fetuses that don't even have birth certificates but drooling for gory dreams of what your semi-automatic armory can do to anyone who dares "step one toe out of line".

Yeah, poor sense of preservation of life,you gory glory-seekers.

The third contradiction lurks like a shadow behind the self-righteous indignation of the anti-abortion impulse. I've always learned that what is not being said can be-by deduction-one of the most crucial aspects. Yet, the topic of gay rights and same sex marriage was completely invisible [[yet, with Romney, it would've been brought up). Was it the huge pink elephant in the room that went unaddressed? How do "uneducated rural whites" really feel about same sex marriage or transgender bathrooms? The internet seems rather confused and split on "what Donnie would do".

Odd that we live in a society shaped by the internet to assume nothing is too sacred not to be thumped online. Yet, what was clearly a stark status quo of elitism that held such prominent and formidable sway online had no apparent dissent ever directed at it for quite a very long time, not even on the most playfully cheeky and satirical of levels [[I've guess we've come a long way from the Dude asking "Who are you....the friend with a cleft *sshole?").

My point being, if Trump supporters really loved Trump for "cutting through the BS, being an open A-hole and saying how it is-y'know-'keeping it real'", did he ever address an issue that may've truly bothered them? Better still, did they ever bother to "bravely" follow his lead and bring up that very issue [[online or wherever) that sat unspoken for so long? Or was it just assumed he'd reverse something they were always afraid of?

So much for being "starkly crass and honest", Trump supporters.

Than again, maybe Trump was the darling of gay culture [[when actually his own home state wouldn't carry him-you know-that state that has "those people"). Maybe they thought he was a real "scream". Maybe what I've always said about upper echelon hedonism courting conservative and not liberal politics [[as spuriously promoted as it is) may hold credence. Maybe the homo-eroticism of conservative Bohemian Grove is as Spy magazine painted it out to be. Maybe Trump got more subtle support from elitist guys who wallow in their own crapulence, like this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_Yiannopoulos[[again I post this).

Then again, if gay culture was something Trump supporters had in their sights but were afraid to utter, how truly "open and honest" are they?

I leave you with this quote from Rick & Morty: "Right. Yeah. Like nothin’ shady ever happened in a fully-furnished office? You ever hear about Wall-Street, Morty? Y-y-y-y’know what those guys do i-i-i th- in their fancy boardrooms? They take their balls and they dip ‘em in cocaine and wipe ‘em all over each other and start messin’ around… Y’see this is business in public, your grandpa isn’t shady."

We are a country with a ton of racists. It took a black President to really put that into focus. Many [[most?) uneducated working class whites are irredeemable bigots. Macomb County, esp., and rural areas of Michigan, are apparently fetid swamps of bigots. They'll happily sink the country if they can settle scores with the blacks, gays, and Mexicans.

They'll be gone in a few generations, but they can easily wreck the country in the interim.
    Amen to that. I live in Clinton Twp and it's a massive issue. Tons of old school Italians, Greeks, Albanians, etc. that are so dead set on hating blacks or Muslims or gays just for the hell of it it makes me sick.

If Hillary couldn't trounce this guy she must have been a really poor candidate. Trump didn't run a campaign, it was more like a clown show, from the beginning to the end. Or maybe it was such a referendum aganist Obama and his programs that no Democratic would have won.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast