Hudson Site Proposal Interior
740 FOOT TOWER PROPSED FOR HUDSON SITE »


10 FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 170
  1. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Channel 4 is also reporting that the Palace will be sold and torn down.
    LBP is rolling over in his (bed).

    Big day for Detroit's sports and entertainment...

  2. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    LBP is rolling over in his (bed).
    He'll need to open another bottle of hootch

  3. #78

    Default

    Best thing about a new arena? Plenty to distract fans from the next couple of years of mediocrity on the ice & on the court.

  4. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Best thing about a new arena? Plenty to distract fans from the next couple of years of mediocrity on the ice & on the court.
    Pistons (and I think the young Wings) are on the upswing. If things go according to plan, it could be a very exciting next few years.

  5. #80

    Default

    Good news DYERS!! The Detroit Pistons will be moving back to Gilberttown ( Downtown) Detroit. Press conference will take place at Cass Tech High School at 3:00 pm. Tuesday, November 22. WDIV 4 news will provide the coverage. This is so exciting!!!!

    YAY DETROIT!

    Take that L.B. "Coleman Young" PATTERSON.

    He is probably moaning and groaning in his bed and cussing right about now.

  6. #81

    Default

    Time for me to create a new web tour "The Fabulous Ruins of Oakland County Sports Arenas?"

  7. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Time for me to create a new web tour "The Fabulous Ruins of Oakland County Sports Arenas?"
    Spicy!

    I should pull up some of the older threads regarding the team moving downtown. Comments like: "the Palace is still beautiful", "Attendance will fall if they move downtown" and a bunch of other nonsense. Good day for the city.

    THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN, ALL OF THEM!

  8. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Spicy!

    I should pull up some of the older threads regarding the team moving downtown. Comments like: "the Palace is still beautiful", "Attendance will fall if they move downtown" and a bunch of other nonsense. Good day for the city.

    THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN, ALL OF THEM!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz8LvlNxxnw

  9. #84

    Default

    What a waste of money, if they follow thru and demolish the Palace, and sell the land to a auto supplier. I mean, Gores just spent millions on updating the suites and other improvements. If they were looking at moving back downtown the whole time, why invest the money?
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-22-16 at 10:44 AM.

  10. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    What a waste of money, if they follow thru and demolish the Palace, and sell the land to a auto supplier. I mean, Gores just spent millions on updating the suites and other improvements. If they were looking at moving back downtown the whole time, why invest the money?
    To improve their negotiating position with Ilitch. A acceptable deal had to be made. Gores couldn't show he was desperate and staying put at the Palace was possible.

  11. #86

    Default

    Sure, he's put a lot into The Palace in the past few years, but the value of the Pistons is now almost triple what it was when he bought the team. I think he'll be alright.

  12. #87

    Default

    Can you imagine the price of those condos on Woodward across the street !?
    And people laugh at people that bought those back in the day ... who's laughing now ?

  13. #88

    Default

    The condos right across the street will definitely go up in price, but the new ones a few blocks away are going to cost a fortune. Close to the action without being right across the street.

  14. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Can you imagine the price of those condos on Woodward across the street !?
    And people laugh at people that bought those back in the day ... who's laughing now ?
    The selling point of those condos was access to Downtown and sporting events and the appeal today is access to Downtown and sporting events....if someone was laughing then they're probably laughing again now. I wasn't laughing then and I'm not laughing now but if people pay stupid prices for them now because it's next to another arena then good for them I guess....and oh yeah barely paying any property taxes was a big part of the equation then just as it is now.
    Last edited by TTime; November-22-16 at 11:54 AM.

  15. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    The selling point of those condos was access to Downtown and sporting events and the appeal today is access to Downtown and sporting events....if someone was laughing then they're probably laughing again now. I wasn't laughing then and I'm not laughing now but if people pay stupid prices for them now because it's next to another arena then good for them I guess....and oh yeah barely paying any property taxes was a big part of the equation then just as it is now.
    location , location , location , think Wrigley field

  16. #91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    location , location , location , think Wrigley field
    I hope you didn't just compare this location to the area surrounding Wrigley Field because the 2 are just so different in so many ways. If you want me to think Jacob's Field then fine I'll hear you out.

  17. #92

    Default

    So now, according to the DYes boosters, downtown is fixed. All four major sports will be playing downtown.

    Since so many of you think that, all evidence to the contrary, you grow urbanism and walkability by building sports arenas, then downtown Detroit should now basically be the "bestest" place in the world...

    In the real world, this is a non-issue for the region. A minor, but high-profile business is moving from one location to another, with no net economic gain. It won't do much of anything for downtown. Probably makes sense to have one regional arena instead of two, but there is no net economic benefit.

  18. #93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    I hope you didn't just compare this location to the area surrounding Wrigley Field because the 2 are just so different in so many ways. If you want me to think Jacob's Field then fine I'll hear you out.
    I've been to both and I can see where you'er coming from with Jacob's Field, but I see so much more for area around LCA. In my humble opinion the bones of the two cities are so different.

    Aesthetically the area around Jacob's field and the Q arena are very hard and cold , IMHO, sitting right in the middle of the downtown area verse LCA with the buffer of GCP to the south and brush park and all the new housing construction , to the north.
    IMHO, aesthetically I prefer the area around LCA . But that's just me .
    Last edited by Detroitdave; November-22-16 at 02:23 PM.

  19. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    So now, according to the DYes boosters, downtown is fixed. All four major sports will be playing downtown.

    Since so many of you think that, all evidence to the contrary, you grow urbanism and walkability by building sports arenas, then downtown Detroit should now basically be the "bestest" place in the world...

    In the real world, this is a non-issue for the region. A minor, but high-profile business is moving from one location to another, with no net economic gain. It won't do much of anything for downtown. Probably makes sense to have one regional arena instead of two, but there is no net economic benefit.
    Having the 41 regular season games + 4 pre-season games + playoff games = minimum of 45 more days that 15-19,000 people will be in the arena and its vicinity, which will encourage more bars, restaurants, sports memorabilia stores, and other businesses to open in the vicinity, and will bring twice as much foot traffic and more potential customers to the vicinity. This will definitely help with the "District" aspect of this arena development.

    One of the complaints of the Palace, was that people drive to the stadium, attend the game, and go home, because there is not much around the Palace. The experience will be a lot different at the dividing line between downtown and midtown.

  20. #95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I've been to both and I can see where you'er coming from with Jacob's Field, but I see so much more for area around LCA. In my humble opinion the bones of the two cities are so different.

    Aesthetically the area around Jacob's field and the Q arena are very hard and cold , IMHO, sitting right in the middle of the downtown area verse LCA with the buffer of GCP to the south and brush park and all the new housing construction , to the north.
    IMHO, aesthetically I prefer the area around LCA . But that's just me .
    No strong disagreement with what you just said other than to add that the area around the new arena has the potential to be nicer than the area around Jacob's Field if all goes well over the next decade or so.

  21. #96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Having the 41 regular season games + 4 pre-season games + playoff games = minimum of 45 more days that 15-19,000 people will be in the arena and its vicinity, which will encourage more bars, restaurants, sports memorabilia stores, and other businesses to open in the vicinity, and will bring twice as much foot traffic and more potential customers to the vicinity. This will definitely help with the "District" aspect of this arena development.

    One of the complaints of the Palace, was that people drive to the stadium, attend the game, and go home, because there is not much around the Palace. The experience will be a lot different at the dividing line between downtown and midtown.
    All lower-wage service jobs, many based on tips. Pistons games jobs are also mostly part-time, non-benefit positions and I assume that will continue in the new place, only these positions will be consolidated under the arena's jobs, but will remain part-time.

    My interest in the NBA has waned in the past few years and it's just as well.

  22. #97

    Default

    I agree with you

    Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    No strong disagreement with what you just said other than to add that the area around the new arena has the potential to be nicer than the area around Jacob's Field if all goes well over the next decade or so.

  23. #98

    Default

    Maybe you'll get something like this:

    As Packers Expand, the Neighborhood Changes. Party On.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/29/sp...-party-on.html

    "...the neighborhood around Lambeau Field has evolved into something less quaint. Younger residents have moved there because of its access to the stadium and the pregame revelry that at times has the feel of a big fraternity party. Companies and wealthy individuals have scooped up homes in the shadows of the stadium and converted them into high-end playpens for fans who want to party a stone’s throw from their seats."

    The best news is the teams will be sharing an arena instead of building another.

  24. #99

    Default

    Detroit is the new Rome of Michigan. More regional businesses popping up like mushrooms. Now with the Pistons coming back home, it is like Detroit has one back happy sports family again.

    It's time to tear the Palace down.

  25. #100

    Default

    I never liked going to see a performer at the Palace. You needed high power binoculars to see them unless you had really close seats........ Then there were the suites, a bit better.

    But yet it seemed great for sports if that's you thing. I went a Pistons game once there.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.