Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    littlebuddy Guest

Default How deep is the Detroit River?

How deep is the river? Would you like to see it drained if it were possible and see whats down there, even if you have to dig through the bottom a little?

That question is ... deep.

3. Default

Google is your friend.

http://www.oceangrafix.com/o.g/Chart...oit-River.html

Average 30-40 ft.

Would I want to see what's down there?

Ewwwwww.

Uh, no.

Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post
    Would I want to see what's down there?

Ewwwwww.

Uh, no.
    Jimmy Hoffa's remains? No wait weren't they found in someone's trunk?
    I bet it would be quite interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
    How deep is the river? Would you like to see it drained if it were possible and see whats down there, even if you have to dig through the bottom a little?
    Deep enough to drown in.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    You made my day. I thank you.

quote:
    "...Would you like to see it drained if it were possible and see whats down there, even if you have to dig through the bottom a little?..."

No. I would, however, like to go back in a time machine to see how beautiful and wild it looked before the Europeans ruined it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    No. I would, however, like to go back in a time machine to see how beautiful and wild it looked before the Europeans ruined it.
    Very good comment. I believe once an upon time ago, the Detroit River was a clear blue jewel.

The amount of muck and sediment on the bottom is probably deeper than the total depth of the water.

I would love to see what is down there. Wish they would dredge the whole thing and bring up all the old stuff.

There is miles of fishing line hooked on the rocks at the bottom as well as old cars from the twenties and thirties when they used to run rum from Canada. They drove on the ice and a lot of them didn't make it, so there's also a lot of old booze down there.

Theres a couple thousand pairs of cement shoes.

MIRepublic Guest

It ranges between five feet or less in parts of the Scott Middle Ground between Belle Isle and the mainland to 45 or so feet in its deepest parts. The dregged shipping channel
    is kept at about 28 feet deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    quote:
    I would, however, like to go back in a time machine to see how beautiful and wild it looked before the Europeans ruined it.
    Don't go blaming white people for the condition of the Detroit River. Everybody knows it was exclusively the fault of Coleman A. Young!

Nice encouragement without explicitly embarrassing. Funny as well.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Very good comment. I believe once an upon time ago, the Detroit River was a clear blue jewel.
    "The first settlers had no need for wells engines pumps or reservoirs. The water along the shore was not defiled by sewers and refuse from shop and factory. Instead of containing impurities it washed and whitened the sandy beach and was everywhere as clear as a diamond." ~ Silas Farmer

MIRepublic Guest

Even with all of the pollution [[which, BTW, is MUCH less than it was even a few decades ago and definitely during Detroit's 'glory' years when old pictures show the river to have been dark grey in color), the river is still comparitvely blue for the simple fact that it's more a fast-moving straight than a slow, muddy river. One of the first things people from other river cities remark on when I've brought them to the river is how blue it is compared to their's.

Detroitnerd, that was understated, funny and more than a little spooky.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    The good news is it will be again. Many, MANY years from now.

That is really funny!

No doubt some amazing artifacts would be down there well preserved in the mud and slime.

Remember the Montrose. That should tell you how deep the river isn't.

lol that was funny.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast