Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Kudos to the Karp firm for selecting Zago Architecture and not limiting the project to a stick built building. It's too bad that Karp didn't get control of the Statler site so the city could have avoided the mediocrity of the impending Village Green project.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Kudos to the Karp firm for selecting Zago Architecture and not limiting the project to a stick built building. It's too bad that Karp didn't get control of the Statler site so the city could have avoided the mediocrity of the impending Village Green project.
    With every new project that is announced im hoping that Village Green sees that there is an investment opportunity here much like their portfolio for other cities. The project for Statler was going to look cheap when there wasn't much else happening in Detroit, now with all of these quality builds it is going to look super cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    With every new project that is announced im hoping that Village Green sees that there is an investment opportunity here much like their portfolio for other cities. The project for Statler was going to look cheap when there wasn't much else happening in Detroit, now with all of these quality builds it is going to look super cheap.
    I don't really think it looks cheap, but when people are building 11 story residential buildings, a nearby 5 story building looks like it is probably not using the full potential of the site. It isn't as if that site couldn't handle a taller building, as the Statler was there previously.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I don't really think it looks cheap, but when people are building 11 story residential buildings, a nearby 5 story building looks like it is probably not using the full potential of the site. It isn't as if that site couldn't handle a taller building, as the Statler was there previously.
    This was the first thing I thought about when I saw these plans. VG will really be selling the Statler lot short [[pun intended) if then go through with the original renderings. It amazes me with a waiting list to get into DCA they would not want to build something more substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    This was the first thing I thought about when I saw these plans. VG will really be selling the Statler lot short [[pun intended) if then go through with the original renderings. It amazes me with a waiting list to get into DCA they would not want to build something more substantial.
    Village Green is no longer developing the Statler site...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-village-green

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Hybridy...

I have a feeling that this building will quickly get a not so flattering nickname... "Earthquake Building", because it has an uncanny resemblence to a post tremor damaged structure.

What interests me is how having windows running diagonally so that an apartment will have rooms where the outside window wall will look very lopsided. Many of the windows will bisect floors. I wonder how that will affect marketing the units? Perhaps as an entire building from the outside it may look interesting... but will it have the same appeal in smaller room size doses on the inside?

And for people with Vertigo... I bet balconies that give the illusion of sloping downwards to the edge will not be a good selling point. Being on a balcony that appears to have structural failure would even be unsettling for folk without Vertigo. This would definitely not be a place for people who have children.... it would very possibly freak them out!

It's details like those that may be cutting edge for architecture fans, but maybe not as much for residents.
    I doubt that the interior would make it difficult to market. I imagine that some would no doubt find the unusually configured windows to be off putting, but I doubt those folks would be looking for housing in Capital Park anyway. As for veritgo on the balconies, I think the illusion of sloping would only be seen from a distance.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; August-30-16 at 01:04 PM.

I really like that this building looks unquestionably new and modern. Congrats to the architect and Capital Park Partnership for taking a bold step downtown. The only thing that would improve this project would be if people were moving in tomorrow.

I could not agree more.

Curtains and blinds will be a problem, but if those are your problems...

I remember this area well circa back when "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" was the jam.
    Last edited by bust; August-30-16 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post

I missed that announcement. That's big news for the multi-family development industry. Sadly it appears that Mr. Holtzman retains the development rights to the Statler site. Some of the folks he has worked with describe him as a visionary, but he's got impaired vision with respect to the Statler site.

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post

Hopefully something much better can be built here than what was planned. It was okay for Midtown but not for Grand Circus Park. Noting "Grand" about that cheap crap.

This Curbed article summarizes the remarkable amount of work being done or already done in Capitol Park, including these two new proposed new builds.

http://detroit.curbed.com/maps/capit...p-construction

Capitol Park redesign announced, and the renderings include the new buildings.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/09/...sed-on-monday/

Name:  rendering_park.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  188.9 KB

Name:  rendering_park-2.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  210.2 KB

I like all the trees, and closing Shelby street is an interesting idea. Not blown away, but this is a great upgrade.

I think it still needs a bit more green. Some sort of water element may be nice too.

As far as the new buildings the Curbed article mentions that we may still be a long way away from seeing those buildings, which is disappointing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2