Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I hear that. At least it suggest some compliance. You just have watch where you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Actually it's ServeSafe and is simply a certificate that the person named on that certificate has passed a full day course and test covering safe food serving practices. does not mean they will actually follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Yes, as Wesley says, the problem is compounded by the fact that if you get sick, will you be able to find the operator?
    All these restaurant owners paying taxes and rent, permits and are subject to inspections... Something to be encouraged rather than despised.
    Regulation, in moderation, is great. Regulation, in excess, oppresses the poor.

Having a simple registration for small operators, a $10 fee, and proof of someone taking SafeServ would be OK. Having them prove that they have a 3-compartment sink with permanent plumbing to sell Lemonade is not.

I can not think of what's worse, having enough bureaucrats to license and inspect a barbecue on the corner selling hot dogs or the police having nothing better to do than to shut them down in Detroit. Both are a colossal waste of resources. Why not just roll with eat it if you think the "operation" looks good enough for you or skip it if you don't want it and mind your own business?

^^^ In a way I tend to want to agree. We do have a great deal of bureaucracy applied to private business, but sometimes it is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Regulation, in moderation, is great. Regulation, in excess, oppresses the poor.

Having a simple registration for small operators, a $10 fee, and proof of someone taking SafeServ would be OK. Having them prove that they have a 3-compartment sink with permanent plumbing to sell Lemonade is not.
    That's how the State shut down my neighbor's kids....

As a former health inspector, I am all for regulating restaurants to make sure they are adhering to the rules and regs. I have no problem with NOT regulating the corner BBQs and lemonade stands. The reason is simple: I think most reasonable people have an expectation that restaurants will prepare food using sanitary practices. I also think that most reasonable people have an expectation that no such practices [[or very few of them) are followed on the street corner.
    The problem occurs when one of the street vendors opens up shop on the corner just outside of a restaurant. The restaurant owner spends a lot of time and expense making sure sanitary conditions are present, while the guy outside is taking his business away, and doesn't have to follow any rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That's how the State shut down my neighbor's kids....
    Lotsolaffter from my belly.

In answer to Wesley; I find it interesting that enforcing Health safety regulations on food servers be deemed a stake in the Heart of poor people, not on poverty. Different rules apply for different folks I know

Can't complain about GP girl guides out for a spin tagging buildings on the D side or Birmingham Boy Scouts buying crack on D streetcorners. It's all part of experincing local color, ain't it? Why so many liquor stores on the D side? Why so many cigarette and liquor ads on D billboards come to think of it? Health and safety be gone. Put it on the back of Freedom, with a capital F, whydontcha?
    Last edited by canuck; August-26-16 at 05:59 AM.

Lotsolaffter from my belly.

In answer to Wesley; I find it interesting that enforcing Health safety regulations on food servers be deemed a stake in the Heart of poor people, not on poverty. Different rules apply for different folks I know
    Regulation is to regulate. Who feels the effects of a new regulation more? Mom & Pop restaurant? Or Olive Garden [[originally a division of General Mills)?

I thank the Taxi lobbies daily for showing the American public just how regulation is used to suppress the little guys and innovation.

Can't complain about GP girl guides out for a spin tagging buildings on the D side or Birmingham Boy Scouts buying crack on D streetcorners. It's all part of experincing local color, ain't it? Why so many liquor stores on the D side? Why so many cigarette and liquor ads on D billboards come to think of it? Health and safety be gone. Put it on the back of Freedom, with a capital F, whydontcha?
    translation note: For the Americans out there, girl scout are called girl guides north of 49.

Canuck, what exactly were you drinking -- and did you buy it at the inexpensive Canadian LCBO stores where high prices have proven to nearly eliminate Canadian liquor and beer consumption by good regulation and taxation.

Regulation is to regulate. Who feels the effects of a new regulation more? Mom & Pop restaurant? Or Olive Garden [[originally a division of General Mills)?

I thank the Taxi lobbies daily for showing the American public just how regulation is used to suppress the little guys and innovation.

translation note: For the Americans out there, girl scout are called girl guides north of 49.

Canuck, what exactly were you drinking -- and did you buy it at the inexpensive Canadian LCBO stores where high prices have proven to nearly eliminate Canadian liquor and beer consumption by good regulation and taxation.
    I had a couple glasses of Médoc. You on the other hand musta been smoking something stronger than ribs. Equating the regulation of guys bbqeing meat on an oildrum with the quashing of industrial/commercial innovation by Big Government.

Well this descended quickly into a bitch fest that IMHO, doesn't have much to do with the OP. Is bitching about anything like mother's milk to some of you?

Oakland Ave in the 70's was some pretty rough neighborhoods. It also had a LOT of street vendors cooking ribs. When I was working in the city, I ate from them whenever I was in the area. 40+ yrs. later that "food poisoning" still hasn't killed me.

BTW, some of the best I've ever had.
    Last edited by mikefmich; August-26-16 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Well this descended quickly into a bitch fest that IMHO, doesn't have much to do with the OP. Is bitching about anything like mother's milk to some of you?

Oakland Ave in the 70's was some pretty rough neighborhoods. It also had a LOT of street vendors cooking ribs. When I was working in the city, I ate from them whenever I was in the area. 40+ yrs. later that "food poisoning" still hasn't killed me.

BTW, some of the best I've ever had.
    Let me just add that one of the worst bouts of food poisoning I had was from an internationally acclaimed 5 star restaurant in another country. I still remember reading all the accreditation plaques on our way up the stairs thinking "Boy, I can't wait..." Sure wish I had.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-27-16 at 06:56 AM.

I heard that! So where/ who has the best tasting BBQ on a corner!? I want some, TODAY!

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-28-16 at 10:21 AM.

I had a couple glasses of Médoc. You on the other hand musta been smoking something stronger than ribs. Equating the regulation of guys bbqeing meat on an oildrum with the quashing of industrial/commercial innovation by Big Government.
    Don't need no smokin' weed to see the obvious.

I thought I would ingratiate myself with the anti-corporatists here on DY. Doesn't hating the 'man' here and his misuse of power qualify me as a honorary member of the DY firmament?

Excuse me, my glass is empty.

Certainly is..... 'Scuse me while I kiss the sky...

Don't need no smokin' weed to see the obvious.

I thought I would ingratiate myself with the anti-corporatists here on DY. Doesn't hating the 'man' here and his misuse of power qualify me as a honorary member of the DY firmament?

You OKay with the oildrum biz on your suburban streetcorner, da Man? Or is the Okayness on the urban prairie more your tune? I can read between the eyebrows.

Me? Mouchian hood is Hamtramck. Not enough vacant corners in most of town for a oil-drum biz.

I think oil-drum biz is OK in the 'burbs too, if you can find a piece of vacant land where nobody is bothered. There's some of that out there too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2