Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Mrs. Clinton will be next to visit for more nonsense her way! Let the games continue ala our two wonderful 'choices'!
    Hillary will show up, pledge $30 bil to brace up the auto industry if people vote for her, then ta-ta.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    He is speaking before the Detroit Economic Club at paid ticket event for a big semi-private club of largely Republican Detroit core business people.
    That's quite a stretch of creative writing. Almost anyone could easily be a member. Dues are only $75-$150 annually [[plus $45 per event). Furthermore, non-members can attend an event simply by buying a ticket [[$75).

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Two thoughts come to mind:

1). When Trump speaks anything can happen and be said.

2). It is in Detroit so what does he say about Detroit, good or bad? [[e.g., some pols have used Detroit as a punching bag).

I believe Trump tries to 'cherry pick' where he invests his money. Wonder if he'll discuss investing some $ in Detroit? Pols promise the moon when they are running for office.
    I started this thread wondering if The Donald would pull out the old "Detroit has failed because of...[[the Democrats failed Detroit because)" and he did.

The Donald is neither a great nor original thinker. I can read The Donald like a book. The Donald can read books and repeat what he reads [[Make America Great Again was taken from Reagan. Law and Order from Nixon/Spiro Agnew).

Pardon me for liking Washington, D.C., but it is presumably the most liberal big city [[say 250K or greater) in the country and maybe the greatest of America's big cities. And D.C. has a balanced budget with a nice surplus, to boot.

Hillary will probably beat The Donald by 90% in this city come November.

Other cities which are liberal bastions include the fine city to the north, New York City, which Trump calls home.

And others such as San Francisco.

So did the Obama-Clinton economic agenda fail D.C., NYC, SF?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    The best disinfectant is sunlight.

Something really important is being said by his supporters. Call it bile, but its popular bile. Bernie and Donald are both onto something that Hillary is not.
    If it was that popular he wouldn't be on the verge of a massive loss in November. Consolidating the racist vote doesn't have to be anymore than that.

I started this thread wondering if The Donald would pull out the old "Detroit has failed because of...[[the Democrats failed Detroit because)" and he did.

The Donald is neither a great nor original thinker. I can read The Donald like a book. The Donald can read books and repeat what he reads [[Make America Great Again was taken from Reagan. Law and Order from Nixon/Spiro Agnew).

Pardon me for liking Washington, D.C., but it is presumably the most liberal big city [[say 250K or greater) in the country and maybe the greatest of America's big cities. And D.C. has a balanced budget with a nice surplus, to boot.

Other cities which are liberal bastions include the fine city to the north, New York City, which Trump calls home.

Compared to Blue states, Red states are economic hell holes... on average. They are also more likely to be welfare states. Kind of ironic that the GOP is thought to be the economically trustworthy party: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/op...blue.html?_r=0

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Compared to Blue states, Red states are economic hell holes... on average. They are also more likely to be welfare states. Kind of ironic that the GOP is thought to be the economically trustworthy party: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/op...blue.html?_r=0
    I'm big into data, statistics, etc. [[never met data I didn't like).

I remember like if someone wanted to see a well educated, healthy state folks would look to Democratic states like Minnesota, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, New York, etc. and rarely look to a Red state [[Utah is a notable exception). California used to have guaranteed college.

Very good graphic in that article.

Heaven on earth are very blue cities like Ann Arbor, Madison, Austin, etc.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-08-16 at 06:24 PM.

Watched it. Something was not right about the protesters who tried to interrupt. Too choreographed, every few minutes. Did not seem spontaneous. If they were directed by dems, they unwittingly aided the Trump camp. If directed by the other side: mission accomplished. In any case, freedom of speech and civility should be encouraged by all. I think Mr. Trump is not the right person for the job, but he has the right to give a speech, uninterrupted.
    Last edited by Bobl; August-08-16 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post

They said that in 2016 but yet had the opposite to say in 2015.So they really do not know.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/op...ates.html?_r=0

Florida is a red state and is not exactly a economic hell hole,Detroit is blue,is it an economic powerhouse across all levels of incomes?

DC does not really count because it is a government based economy,so there is no shortage of funds.

I went to Clintons rally in St Petersburg today trying to keep an open mind,she pretty much is saying the same thing as Trump.

I ask myself some questions like she says she will create 10,000,000 jobs in the first couple years.Okay then what is she going to do different then what was done in the last 8 years.

What is different in trade deals today that are more in line to benefit the US then they were 8 years ago.

How many companies left the US to other countries in the last 8 years ?

How has the education system changed in the last 8 years,better or worse?

What level of manufacturing has returned to this country in the last 8 years ?

Has the average personal income gone up or down in the last 8 years?

As a business owner I could ask even more questions on that level but it becomes a moot point.

I ask myself those questions but then realize I already know the answers to them.So does everybody else.

So bottom line is how is she going to do anything different and why was it not done in the last 8 years? Until we have the answers then it is just rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    DC does not really count because it is a government based economy,so there is no shortage of funds.

I went to Clintons rally in St Petersburg today trying to keep an open mind,she pretty much is saying the same thing as Trump.

I ask myself some questions like she says she will create 10,000,000 jobs in the first couple years.Okay then what is she going to do different then what was done in the last 8 years.

What is different in trade deals today that are more in line to benefit the US then they were 8 years ago.

How many companies left the US to other countries in the last 8 years ?

How has the education system changed in the last 8 years,better or worse?

What level of manufacturing has returned to this country in the last 8 years ?

Has the average personal income gone up or down in the last 8 years?

As a business owner I could ask even more questions on that level but it becomes a moot point.

I ask myself those questions but then realize I already know the answers to them.So does everybody else.

So bottom line is how is she going to do anything different and why was it not done in the last 8 years? Until we have the answers then it is just rhetoric.
    Actually what makes D.C. [[NYC, SF, etc.) great, in my mind, is that the wealth does not [[did not) flee for the suburbs.

There is so much wealth in D.C. [[NYC, too) that the more affluent can 'pay the freight' [[taxes) that the less affluent do not. They keep the governments afloat in $.

We will not find this in most big cities.

I still enjoy driving through D.C. and see all of the great housing BUT more importantly all the shiny new high end residences built/being built throughout many parts of the city. People are flocking TO, not from, the city.

And this is still happening despite a slowdown in government employment.

EDIT: One thing which SHOULD BE NOTED: Our local governments [[e.g., D.C. and the cities and counties surrounding it WORK TOGETHER. We have a rail and bus system which could never happen in S.E. MI because one could never get Detroit and Oakland to agree on anything other than the time of day...

It is a lot more than simply having the federal government.

If S.E. MI is a good example of poor inter-government governance, D.C. area is the opposite.

It is really about the people. People in all of our cities and counties do want our governments to work together.

Maryland is to begin building a light rail, Purple Line, which traverses two counties, mostly affluent Montgomery County and African-American majority Prince Georges.

S.E. Michigan was about building walls. D.C. area about building bridges.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-09-16 at 05:44 AM.

They said that in 2016 but yet had the opposite to say in 2015.So they really do not know.

Florida is a red state and is not exactly a economic hell hole,Detroit is blue,is it an economic powerhouse across all levels of incomes?
    Detroit is located in the worst performing blue state... And that state is still high performing relative to the performance of red states.

The article you posted is about inequality. It also corroborates the points made in the one I posted:

Blue states, like California, New York and Illinois, whose economies turn on finance, trade and knowledge, are generally richer than red states.

Red state economies based on energy extraction, agriculture and suburban sprawl may have lower wages, higher poverty rates and lower levels of education on average than those of blue states

Actually what makes D.C. [[NYC, SF, etc.) great, in my mind, is that the wealth does not [[did not) flee for the suburbs.
    This isn't true. In all these cities, there was massive decline, and wealth flight, from the city to the suburbs, basically nonstop from the 1930's through the 1990's.

DC, even today, has broad swaths of decayed, dangerous neighborhoods, and DC is one of the healthiest U.S. cities. Few non-black Washingtonians would consider anywhere in the eastern half of the city.

DC proper does have considerable wealth, and has recovered in the last 20 years, but I would bet that 90% of regional high-earners reside outside city limits, in places like Potomac, Bethesda-Chevy Chase, McLean and the like.

Interviews with attendees last night quoted as saying "I thought it was going to be more entertaining. It was a little boring." Why? Because he wasn't ranting and raving and spewing insults? Because he actually talked politics and laid out some of his [[misguided and fairly laughable) plans? It's pretty obvious the people who think this guy is the voice of reason: idiots. A lot of us are unhappy with the political atmosphere in Washington, so I understand anger in voters, but to actually think this racist, sexist, fear mongering, sorry excuse for a human is a quality candidate fit for running the most powerful nation on earth is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Interviews with attendees last night quoted as saying "I thought it was going to be more entertaining. It was a little boring." Why? Because he wasn't ranting and raving and spewing insults? Because he actually talked politics and laid out some of his [[misguided and fairly laughable) plans? It's pretty obvious the people who think this guy is the voice of reason: idiots. A lot of us are unhappy with the political atmosphere in Washington, so I understand anger in voters, but to actually think this racist, sexist, fear mongering, sorry excuse for a human is a quality candidate fit for running the most powerful nation on earth is beyond me.
    I like Shillary's response better. No redoing the tax structure, that'll never work, that's for the rich. She's going to create jobs, put people back to work. She's going to redo our infrastructure, our roads, our bridges, the electrical grid! [[I thought Obama took care of all that when he ran for President in 2008?) I guess it's only cross-party plagiarizing that raises eyebrows.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-09-16 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    This isn't true. In all these cities, there was massive decline, and wealth flight, from the city to the suburbs, basically nonstop from the 1930's through the 1990's.

DC, even today, has broad swaths of decayed, dangerous neighborhoods, and DC is one of the healthiest U.S. cities. Few non-black Washingtonians would consider anywhere in the eastern half of the city.

DC proper does have considerable wealth, and has recovered in the last 20 years, but I would bet that 90% of regional high-earners reside outside city limits, in places like Potomac, Bethesda-Chevy Chase, McLean and the like.
    As I am want to say [[post), the development, and yes, gentrification in D.C. is moving toward those very same areas you mention. For example, S.E. near Nationals Park. NoMa [[north of Union Station) where folks wouldn't walk day or night 15 or 20 years ago. Columbia Heights was riot torn area and now the 'in place' to be.

Development is happening in N.E. D.C. which previously were areas to avoid.

When I came to D.C. one avoided much of D.C. or avoided D.C. period.

If areas of Detroit [[e.g., downtown, CBD, Midtown, and a few others are improving at a steady rate, then D.C. neighborhoods are doing so 'on steroids.')

The big test for D.C. was to improve neighborhoods beyond those in areas like N.W. D.C. That is happening.

The big test for Detroit is if it can continue to revitalize neighborhoods beyond those we discuss here the most...
    Last edited by emu steve; August-09-16 at 09:34 AM.

Read an article in the Times recently by the Public Editor, I think, recognizing their own bias in reporting. At least they know they have a problem, where the poster here just reads and is joyful with 'confirmation bias'.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I like Shillary's response better. No redoing the tax structure, that'll never work, that's for the rich. She's going to create jobs, put people back to work. She's going to redo our infrastructure, our roads, our bridges, the electrical grid! [[I thought Obama took care of all that when he ran for President in 2008?) I guess it's only cross-party plagiarizing that raises eyebrows.
    You realize that that's not plagarism right? Every person who runs for office gives the "I'm gonna fix the roads, create jobs, protect global interests, etc..." When you pull word for word a speech from someone else, that's a little different, agreed?

Trump doesn't have the basic grasp on international politics or how to keep his own foot out of his mouth. For such a "successful" businessman, I kinda would have thought this guy knew a little something about foreign politics and global business, but it's apparent this guy is completely clueless.

Politicians spouting promises that never come to fruition is nothing new, but the blatant lies and misinformation this guy spews is laughable and embarrassing.

And just for the sake of clarity, I don't really support Clinton either, as shes untrustworthy. I also don't identify as a Republican or Democrat. I vote based on qualifications regardless of party affiliation, as I believe a good majority of Millennials do.

ws is laughable and embarrassing.

And just for the sake of clarity, I don't really support Clinton either, as shes untrustworthy. I also don't identify as a Republican or Democrat. I vote based on qualifications regardless of party affiliation, as I believe a good majority of Millennials do.
    I'll vote for a steaming pile of dung before voting for Trump.

I'm not a Hillary fan, but given the opposition, will happily give her my vote.

...snip...I also don't identify as a Republican or Democrat. I vote based on qualifications regardless of party affiliation, as I believe a good majority of Millennials do.
    I used to believe this. And certainly Millennials do. They've not seen the parties addressing their ideas and concerns. You can't blame them for their cynicism.

But they are wrong.

In fact Trump is the direct result of the abandonment of political parties. Millennials believe that by destroying the parties and demanding popular, direct elections they are achieving Democracy. But in fact, they are creating mob rule. Fewer Tip O'Neill's -- more Donald Trumps and Bernie Sanders will be coming our way. Demagogues who know how to destroy, but not how to build.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I used to believe this. And certainly Millennials do. They've not seen the parties addressing their ideas and concerns. You can't blame them for their cynicism.

But they are wrong.

In fact Trump is the direct result of the abandonment of political parties. Millennials believe that by destroying the parties and demanding popular, direct elections they are achieving Democracy. But in fact, they are creating mob rule. Fewer Tip O'Neill's -- more Donald Trumps and Bernie Sanders will be coming our way. Demagogues who know how to destroy, but not how to build.
    Oh look another Baby Boomer saying were wrong and then making a sweeping generalization that we all want the electoral college to be abolished.

Also even if we had direct elections, it wouldn't exactly be mob rule as our three branches of government have checks and balances and that carries much power. We don't even have federal referendums like the UK and Australia have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I'll vote for a steaming pile of dung before voting for Trump.

I'm not a Hillary fan, but given the opposition, will happily give her my vote.
    Amen on that.

What this election needs is a little more maturity.

Kids React To Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    What this election needs is a little more maturity.

Kids React To Donald Trump

Very funny.

BTW, 1M bucks when The Donald got it might be like 4 or 5M today...

The gift was much greater than it appears...

Well, one day after I urged civility at his appearances, he offers a thinly veiled suggestion to his second amendment fans to take care of Hillary. Amazing.
    Last edited by Bobl; August-09-16 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Also even if we had direct elections, it wouldn't exactly be mob rule as our three branches of government have checks and balances and that carries much power. We don't even have federal referendums like the UK and Australia have.
    The checks and balances have faded as both parties function similar to one another with common goals. [[Global profit making.) When congress does try to put a check on the executive branch by controlling budget items, the president and media scream obstructionism.
    Supreme courts check on law makers has become less effective as they look more at case precedence than the constitutionality of the law.
    i.e. Affordable care act as a tax which congress can levy, when there is no constitutional stipulation for the "right of healthcare"

Don't know about Australia but the UK only held it's second national referendum recently with the Brexit vote so it's not like they get to vote on national matters much. Basically they elect representatives too who make decisions for them on a national level.

GMan

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast