Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

^^
    Statistician? Emu? How funny. My mentor for Six Sigma BB is also a statistician with a company called emu? Hmmmm. What's the chance of that?
    Last edited by SammyS; July-19-16 at 03:03 PM.

I'm seeing a lot of these lately...
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 9.39.26 AM.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  44.2 KB

Another employment indicator is the number of ads by companies offering to help businesses with their recruiting/hiring problems. During the Great Recession those ads were never encountered. They're much more numerous now.

ndavies:

Regarding the skilled trades problem I started a thread a while back addressing this issue:

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...t-we-need-them

Doesn't look like anyone's addressing this.

The below article actually puts things in perspective as far as the so-called "labor shortage" and "higher wages."

http://www.mlive.com/business/index....ortage_du.html

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Only when the market has been saved by Government.

Better get those hands together for Obama, Wes.

This "market" you are apparently so proud of would not exsist if it were not for the leadership of Obama.
    Applause for President Obama. You are right that he deserves credit for good handling of the financial crisis. He wasn't alone -- but he did listen to his advisors and decided that it was worth letting some rats get away to save the ship. Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Applause for President Obama. You are right that he deserves credit for good handling of the financial crisis. He wasn't alone -- but he did listen to his advisors and decided that it was worth letting some rats get away to save the ship. Good call.
    Trying to be bi-partisan, the financial crisis spanned two administrations.

As such, most of it fell into the lap of President Obama. Nevertheless, President Bush had to avoid any mistakes during those fateful days such as those made in 1929 which made that crisis worse, not better.

I believe Ben Bernanke extensively studied the Great Depression and knew what actions to avoid. Unsung hero!!! He served during the the critical years...

I know a lot of people got hurt and hurt badly. And Detroit was among the worst hurt. I am thankful, though that we didn't have Great Depression II.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-20-16 at 08:19 PM.

I think people were really hurt in Michigan due to the length of the recession; about 10 years. I was laid off in 2009 and I would say that eight out of the ten people I know who were let go moved out of state including myself. The labor force that left is most likely not coming back. The survivors who stayed are cunning, cautious and only loyal to themselves. They won't be lured or pimped into higher paying jobs that only last a short time; only to be abused, exploited and kicked to the curb by Lord Business [[Lego movie fame). Corporate America burned many people and now they are refusing to play the game. Add on the rising number of people retiring and I think Michigan businesses will be hard pressed to fill positions for several decades.

Here is a link to the Bureau of Labor Stats. If you scroll down to the map with the average wage for Mechanical Engineer, Michigan is right below many other states. Perhaps, the engineers are going for money and relocating to other states.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes172141.htm

Quote Originally Posted by bibs View Post
    I think people were really hurt in Michigan due to the length of the recession; about 10 years. I was laid off in 2009 and I would say that eight out of the ten people I know who were let go moved out of state including myself. The labor force that left is most likely not coming back. The survivors who stayed are cunning, cautious and only loyal to themselves. They won't be lured or pimped into higher paying jobs that only last a short time; only to be abused, exploited and kicked to the curb by Lord Business [[Lego movie fame). Corporate America burned many people and now they are refusing to play the game. Add on the rising number of people retiring and I think Michigan businesses will be hard pressed to fill positions for several decades.
    Sure, I can buy a lot of this... but what I don't understand is why people feel bad about Michigan businesses and not, say, California businesses. Corporate America not = Lord Business.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Sure, I can buy a lot of this... but what I don't understand is why people feel bad about Michigan businesses and not, say, California businesses. Corporate America not = Lord Business.
    Honestly, I think this mentality is not only expressed toward Michigan businesses but corporate america in general. I now live near St Louis. Stan Kroenke wasn't making enough money off the St Louis rams so he moved the team to LA. St Louis City spent about 16 million on architectural and engineering plans. Everyone saw the greed and they were upset. Arch Coal doubled the executive pay right before going into bankruptcy. These actions convey the message that leaders have no loyalty to fans, hourly worker etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2